Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2015 7:28:21 PM EDT
The original SAPI plate (ceramic mil issue, not the steel stuff everyone likes to call 'SAPI')

WIll that stop m193? (of course used as prescribed with a IIIA backer)

I've read yes it will, and I've read only meant for m855, any experts that know for sure please chime in?

Thank you

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they will
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. But buy steel. It's better because of YouTube.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking original black SAPI or new issue green ESAPI?

The black plates most definitely were not stopping 5.56 rounds. The green ESAPI do, and 7.62 AP rounds as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:37:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Like I said, the original sapi, they say 7.62 m80 ball protection when used with a iiia backer.   Here it goes again, conflicting info.   They are old issue, and most likely never used anymore, but Id still like to know for sure.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#5]
old Sapi plates will stop 5.56 rounds.
used to test one of those years ago and took several rounds before failing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
And steel stops sledge hammers so theres that.  Lucky for us the fat ass whos operating thge hammer gets smoked after one smack with it
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And steel stops sledge hammers so theres that.  Lucky for us the fat ass whos operating thge hammer gets smoked after one smack with it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you actually had a 128 GT, I would have expected you to be smart enough to understand the point of that test (and how apostrophes work) but it looks like you need stuff broken down for you Barney style:

A. The hammer was an over the top representation of a severe impact. (I actually did the same thing with a 4SAS7 with good results)
2. The real takeaway from that test was the multiple rounds of 7.62x51mm that struck the same spot and were still stopped.
III. I'm sorry a YouTube video hurt your feewings so deeply, but sometimes that's how things go on teh interwebz. Personal attacks are still a violation of CoC.

Since we're way off topic anyway, be sure not to look at any of my upcoming threads because the difference in back face deformation between steel and ceramic might give you an aneurism.

OP, the "SAPI" seen for civilian ceramic and steel plates refers to size (as opposed to 10" x 12").

Were there ever any black colored ESAPI plates issued? That could explain the discrepancy in reports. I've heard the same anecdotes about the old plates stopping multiple rounds of "5.56mm" but those were almost certainly M855. That could also explain the discrepancy in anecdotes. Until someone posts the results of a test or credible reference, it's hard to say
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top