Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2015 1:46:49 PM EDT
I work ems, andmyI personal vest (iiia concealable) has finally expired. I'm looking to upgrade. I did find thishere

I love the look and function of the vest, and the ability to accept plates  is awesome. Anyone have experience with this, or something similar?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want protection while still looking like a medical professional, how about something more like this:

Point Blank Hi-Vis carrier

instead of this:

in which you will look like an 80s cop show reject.

The Point Blank Hi-Vis carrier is available with IIIA panels(Alpha Elite recommended), accepts Special Threat plates(less than 1lb) or III plates(3-5lbs), is front opening for ease of use, is mesh lined for breath-ability, has reflective panels for safety, and has utility pockets.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been running a concealable vest forever. Upgraded to IIIA the last time that my panels were damaged (in a fall, left a permanent crease in the panel) I just used a PC for call outs and AS calls over my regular uniform when the need arose. Personally I would rather keep my armor hidden from view most all of the time to prev4ent the perception of escalation of things. Also an outer vest provides some great hand holds for some drunk/drugged/psychotic fine upstanding citizen to latch on to.

In the end I prefer the slick look. But I'm old school any more.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want protection while still looking like a medical professional, how about something more like this:

Point Blank Hi-Vis carrier

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server4300/9j9zreeu/products/44359/images/82981/Hi-Vis_Front-Opening_Vest_Front-Point_Blank_Body_Armor__61755.1423504535.380.380.png?c=2

instead of this:

http://usarmor.com/images/products/get_1-1.png

in which you will look like an 80s cop show reject.

The Point Blank Hi-Vis carrier is available with IIIA panels(Alpha Elite recommended), accepts Special Threat plates(less than 1lb) or III plates(3-5lbs), is front opening for ease of use, is mesh lined for breath-ability, has reflective panels for safety, and has utility pockets.

View Quote

They do offer navy blue, so you're aware.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Navy blue was just for the 80s LAPD SWAT team, the OD green was for the gang units doing their own high risk entries.  I'm not joking, that vest is just a current ballistics version of an 80s update to a Vietnam era flak jacket.  I recommended a vest that offers excellent ballistic protection that is very light weight, comfortable, and flexible.  If you want a vest that will be alot heavier and way less comfortable go with the one you linked.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would Black work for you? Not a lot of choice in blue, but lots of choices in black for low viz armor carriers.

I'd skip the one you have pictured (it's a hot heavy outdated design) and look for a more modern low viz or duty armor carrier. Are you in an area where your medical callouts tend to turn violent and you really need plates?

ETA: You could always just check Galls for external carriers.
View Quote

Shit goes sideways at the drop of a dime....
That was my best friend...

I like the idea of a front opening vest, something easy to throw on. Decent bit of down time makes wearing a concealed vest a pain some days.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Think ive decied on this HERE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top