Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2015 9:43:18 AM EDT
Wanted to get opinions on hard armor from everyone.
I will qualify this by saying, I have no former military background. I have a good working knowledge of arms/gear, but wanted opinion on armor. Wanted to see difference between AR500 and Ar680. Which is better? Also what about shooter vs. swimmer cut?

I plan on using it with soft armor as well, so any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I've tested a LOT of armor on my YouTube channel (it's called The Wound Channel), it should give you a lot of information to make your own choice.  In my testing AR500armor.com's level III+ plate is the best steel plate I have seen.  AR680 did not hold up to M193 at close range, it failed at a velocity lower than what was listed on the website (which has now been updated).

If you want a ceramic plate, the Highcom 4SAS7 is hard to beat.  It's a touch heavy for a ceramic plate but it stops just about anything less than a 50BMG.  

If you want a steel plate, the Level III+  (and remember the plus is important here) from AR500Armor is the way to go, make sure you opt for the build up coating.

Remember that ceramic plates are one time use, if you take a shot (even from something weak like a 22lr) you will need to replace your plate.  They are durable however for day to day usage, and can stop just about any round you would encounter.  Unlike steel which can be defeated by very high velocity rounds.  

Once you settle on a plate post up what you're going to buy, I know a couple coupon codes for some of the manufacturers but you should pick what you want first.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've tested a LOT of armor on my YouTube channel (it's called The Wound Channel), it should give you a lot of information to make your own choice.  In my testing AR500armor.com's level III+ plate is the best steel plate I have seen.  AR680 did not hold up to M193 at close range, it failed at a velocity lower than what was listed on the website (which has now been updated).

If you want a ceramic plate, the Highcom 4SAS7 is hard to beat.  It's a touch heavy for a ceramic plate but it stops just about anything less than a 50BMG.  

If you want a steel plate, the Level III+  (and remember the plus is important here) from AR500Armor is the way to go, make sure you opt for the build up coating.

Remember that ceramic plates are one time use, if you take a shot (even from something weak like a 22lr) you will need to replace your plate.  They are durable however for day to day usage, and can stop just about any round you would encounter.  Unlike steel which can be defeated by very high velocity rounds.  

Once you settle on a plate post up what you're going to buy, I know a couple coupon codes for some of the manufacturers but you should pick what you want first.
View Quote

Im definitely looking at AR500 or Spartan.

Any suggestions on shooters, swimming cut, regular?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chopping block tested the new Armaply or whatever that plate is called from TTM, it looks pretty good.  TTM doesn't like me though, they won't answer my emails or send me any samples so I can't speak personally about testing their stuff.

I would go shooters cut personally.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Chopping block tested the new Armaply or whatever that plate is called from TTM, it looks pretty good.  TTM doesn't like me though, they won't answer my emails or send me any samples so I can't speak personally about testing their stuff.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen some of the YouTube videos. How about CATI plates, I've seen them on Ebay. Any reviews?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've seen some of the YouTube videos. How about CATI plates, I've seen them on Ebay. Any reviews?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't seen any reviews on those.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the 3S9 myself. Tested for DEA 2006 protocol which claims to stop 855 and 193!!
Unfortunately, the sapi medium is 429$$ per plate :(
Do you have any Super code for them? Maybe with 30% I would be able to afford 1 front plate at least!
I follow your YT channel! It's awesome!
Cheers

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm waiting on a black friday sale from Highcom, hopefully 40-50% off.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I like the 3S9 myself. Tested for DEA 2006 protocol which claims to stop 855 and 193!!

Do you have any Super code for them? Maybe with 30% I would be able to afford 1 front plate at least!

Cheers

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cheers

Quoted:

USAMADE should work for Highcom's 3S9 plate, I think they made a code for me too which is 10mm but I remember the USAMADE code working better.  

If you guys order from them and mention me it helps the channel.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

40-50% dang
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

40-50% dang
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

40-50% dang

One year it was 50% off and a 30% off coupon stacked

I'm sure we'll see 40 or 50% off either black Friday or cyber Monday
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#12]
shoot dude; if 50% I'll jump and get both plate!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buying only one plate is a bad idea; you're going to end up with your carrier sagging since there's no counterweight on the other side.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Start Here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wanted to get opinions on hard armor from everyone.
I will qualify this by saying, I have no former military background. I have a good working knowledge of arms/gear, but wanted opinion on armor. Wanted to see difference between AR500 and Ar680. Which is better? Also what about shooter vs. swimmer cut?

I plan on using it with soft armor as well, so any advice is appreciated.

Start Here

Great info rhanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's live -

50% off.
Use code BLACKFRIDAY

http://highcomsecurity.com/collections/sale
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's live -

50% off.
Use code BLACKFRIDAY

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's live -

50% off.
Use code BLACKFRIDAY

Just tried it, didn't give me 50% off?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's live -

50% off.
Use code BLACKFRIDAY

Some things are 30%
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those are level IV. Are you saying they would stop M855 and 193?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Some are on sale and you can add a discount. The rest (not on sale) is 30% off
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I just saw a few vids of people shooting XM855 and 193.
This plate is not the lightest out there but with their sales, reputation and free shipping its just a no brainer!!!!
I settled for them (4SAS7) in multi curve
Thanks!
(Included I got the word from you)

PS: I bought a 3rd plate. Not sure if I'll keep it as replacement or shoot it to experience that for myself!

Cheers
Quoted:
Absolutely
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This plate is not the lightest out there but with their sales, reputation and free shipping its just a no brainer!!!!
Thanks!

PS: I bought a 3rd plate. Not sure if I'll keep it as replacement or shoot it to experience that for myself!

Cheers

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks!

Cheers
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely

That's not a bad idea. Might pick up a plate to blast
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Thanks!

Cheers

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks!

Cheers

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely

Enjoy! I hope you never need to use them lol
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Me neither!
they would allow me to do a CQB course I have on sight ;-)
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!

Cheers
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#25]
For the 4SAS7, is it best to get multi curve for both front and back?  Seems like there would be a better shape for each side of one's torso.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#26]
^^ that is what I read; we are not "flat' although there are plenty of people running single curves
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#27]
So I think I've settled on the Spartan Ar550 plates. They seem to offer the best bang for your buck. Thanks for all the info gents.

Hope all had a good Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For the 4SAS7, is it best to get multi curve for both front and back?  Seems like there would be a better shape for each side of one's torso.
View Quote

Yes front and back.
Unless you like the feel of a plank against your back.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes front and back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes front and back.

I am going to get this plate as well, however can anyone with experience tell me what size and cut will fit best in my LBT 6094A carrier? Im thinking 10x12 multi curve shooters cut or 9.5x12.5 SAPI m
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am going to get this plate as well, however can anyone with experience tell me what size and cut will fit best in my LBT 6094A carrier? Im thinking 10x12 multi curve shooters cut or 9.5x12.5 SAPI m
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes front and back.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=427495
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

fwiw ceramics are even tough enough to handle more than one 22lr. Ive taken 3 7.62x39 rounds within a hands spread on a sapi plate at about 5 yards. When I got a new one I dropped the used one on a rock and it stayed in one piece.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
fwiw ceramics are even tough enough to handle more than one 22lr. Ive taken 3 7.62x39 rounds within a hands spread on a sapi plate at about 5 yards. When I got a new one I dropped the used one on a rock and it stayed in one piece.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I made a video shooting a SAPI plate with a 22, it took like 50 rounds in the same spot to get through.  

The point I was trying to make was that taking a round of any caliber will require you to replace the plate, even something weak like a 22.  

(I hope you killed that motherfucker)
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Gotchya.

Yes they need to be replaced but I just wanted to clarify that they dont shatter like a coffee mug with a few hits.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I ordered the pair of 10 x12 multi curve shooters cut.  That seemed to be the popular choice.  

There was a video on one of the black friday threads posted of a guy shooting that model plate with multiple rounds of AR, AK and 9mm.  Very impressive.  It kept everything from penetrating except one AK round right on the bottom edge that hit where a couple other rounds had hit.  The plate doesn't really shatter, it spalls out toward the shooter and delaminates.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that used plate would deserve a much better place, such as in an enclosed glass trophy case proudly displayed upon your fireplace mantle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think that used plate would deserve a much better place, such as in an enclosed glass trophy case proudly displayed upon your fireplace mantle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fwiw ceramics are even tough enough to handle more than one 22lr. Ive taken 3 7.62x39 rounds within a hands spread
on a sapi plate at about 5 yards. When I got a new one I dropped the used one on a rock and it stayed in one piece.

Im not  that sentimental
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been reading all this info and thinking of getting some armor but now after CA shooting thinking a lot harder about it. While talking to my son in law who is a Marine about this he told me his plate carrier is soft armor level lllA without any plates installed. Is that correct? Everything I've read says with the plates you get level lllA. Is it because his is military grade?
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top