Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 4:00:50 PM EDT
Feedback sought on the TK4 Tourniquet.

I see most folks recommending either the CAT (apparently some counterfiting going on here) or the SOF-T.

I've heard the RAT is not in the same league as the CAT and SOT-T but is good for ease of self aid.

Now, I've seen some Marine kits that had the TK4 which also looks to be a relatively good self aid TQ but I wanted actual first hand experience from those who have either used them or know first hand their ease and success of use.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a few true experts in the field recommend staying from the TK4's and SWAT-T.
It is too difficult to get enough constriction one handed, and sometimes even two handed.   Will a TK4 work?
Maybe... sometimes.... I don't want to bet my life on a "maybe" when there are better options around.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen a guy bend a hook on a tk4 putting it on in a training class to the point it couldn't be used. It was new in package before that.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The hooks are pretty awful, but its better than nothing!
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at Joint Operational Evaluation of Field Tourniquents the pictures of TK4 failures are on page 19.  Dated 2012.  

"Failure: The TK-4L broke during training on the first application. The TK-4 broke during the first test trial on the HAPMED. On both the TK-4 and TK-4L the nylon strap frayed and broke at the connection to the metal hook."

"NOTE: 21Sep11: With concurrence of MCSC Kevin Joyner, no further testing of the TK-4 and TK-4L tourniquets due to safety concerns and mechanical failures. The user was at risk when applying device due to the elasticity of the tourniquet and its metal hooks creating the potential for injury."

There is another study Evaluation of Self-Applied Tourniquets for Combat Applications (dated 2007).  I have the .pdf but could not find a link.  That study, which was prior the the one mentioned above gave the TK4 a better score.  

In short, for self aid, the TK4 is probably not the best.  It can fail, might be difficult to hold the hook in place with one hand if applying to your other arm, with no windlass you may not be able to get enough tension to stop the flow of blood.  But, it is cheap, takes up little space, and it if was all you had to apply on someone else it would be better than nothing.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at Joint Operational Evaluation of Field Tourniquents the pictures of TK4 failures are on page 19.  Dated 2012.  

"Failure: The TK-4L broke during training on the first application. The TK-4 broke during the first test trial on the HAPMED. On both the TK-4 and TK-4L the nylon strap frayed and broke at the connection to the metal hook."

"NOTE: 21Sep11: With concurrence of MCSC Kevin Joyner, no further testing of the TK-4 and TK-4L tourniquets due to safety concerns and mechanical failures. The user was at risk when applying device due to the elasticity of the tourniquet and its metal hooks creating the potential for injury."

There is another study Evaluation of Self-Applied Tourniquets for Combat Applications (dated 2007).  I have the .pdf but could not find a link.  That study, which was prior the the one mentioned above gave the TK4 a better score.  

In short, for self aid, the TK4 is probably not the best.  It can fail, might be difficult to hold the hook in place with one hand if applying to your other arm, with no windlass you may not be able to get enough tension to stop the flow of blood.  But, it is cheap, takes up little space, and it if was all you had to apply on someone else it would be better than nothing.

View Quote

Thanks, this was exactly what I was needing to know. Looks like I'll be going for the new version of the CAT's!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just know that you may need multiple CATs to stop bleeding.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Feedback sought on the TK4 Tourniquet.

I see most folks recommending either the CAT (apparently some counterfiting going on here) or the SOF-T.

I've heard the RAT is not in the same league as the CAT and SOT-T but is good for ease of self aid.

Now, I've seen some Marine kits that had the TK4 which also looks to be a relatively good self aid TQ but I wanted actual first hand experience from those who have either used them or know first hand their ease and success of use.

Thanks!
View Quote

If you order CAT's from a reputable place you should be fine. I'd stay away from eBay.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I use both SOF-T and CAT. CAT is quicker and easier for me to self apply than SOF-T. But I  have yet to use a CAT in the field. A SOF-T stopped a pretty narly arterial bleed on a guy who got his hand shredded in some farm equipment. I'd be happy with either.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
We cold debate the qualities of the CAT and SOF-T all day, but the differences are slight and either one is as good as it gets for now. Stick with one of them and don't bother with the others (I do keep a SWAT in my bag for peds use, though.).
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We cold debate the qualities of the CAT and SOF-T all day, but the differences are slight and either one is as good as it gets for now. Stick with one of them and don't bother with the others (I do keep a SWAT in my bag for peds use, though.).
View Quote

This exactly.  
Also, the SOF-T now comes in "wide". Less soft tissue damage.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
If it helps your decision at all we just got a TD (Technical Directive) about two months ago telling us to remove all TK4s from our aircrew survival vest first aid kits and install SOFTTs.  The TD referenced an Army medical study of somesort that concluded the TK4s under performed especially in leg injuries compared to things likeCATs and SOFTTs.   Even before this TD CATs were listed as optional TQs to supplement the TK4s in the NAVAIR manuals.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top