Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
"Extraordinary" claims? FFS...
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My understanding is that the AR500 vendor in question has submitted the configuration you're referring to, to be NIJ tested. IIRC, his certification is posted on the website.

I'm open to be proven wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to add another voice that will not be heard...

Cut an armor plate out of a sheet of AR500 steel and it is still AR500.  Curve that steel in a press and it is no longer AR500 uniformly over the plate.  Each curve type: flat, single, multi, would need to be evaluated in separate trials.  Same with coated vs uncoated.  I also wouldn't doubt layer60's assertion that a 10% variance is usual in the hardness, that would be well within specification for many industrial materials.

My understanding is that the AR500 vendor in question has submitted the configuration you're referring to, to be NIJ tested. IIRC, his certification is posted on the website.

Is he listed on the NIJ website?  If not then they are not certified. It's pretty simple really. If they are in the NIJ certified list then they are certified. If they are noybonvthe list they are not. It doesn't matter what they claim.  It doesn't matter what testing has been done it hasn't been certified by NIJ as meeting their standards unless the product is listed on their compliance list.

Last time I checked (September 2015) there was no steel armor manufacturer in the NIJ list.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes, that's exactly right. You should take my word for it because I do know what I'm talking about and it sure as shit isn't based on "feels".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I concur on all points. As I mentioned, there is some merit to the argument, but he seems to wrapped up in feelings and stick on the idea that we ought just take his word for it.

Yes, that's exactly right. You should take my word for it because I do know what I'm talking about and it sure as shit isn't based on "feels".

I'm taking a lot of interest in this thread because I'm ready to buy armor- have the money I need and have been researching different products and carriers.  I want to get the best product I can.

As an independent observer of this debate, what are your qualifications and expertise on this subject?  To be honest, you haven't provided anything in this thread other than "take my word for it" or "check other threads."

I don't want to waste my money on steel if it won't do what it's supposed to.  However, if good qaulity steel is cheaper than ceramics than I can spend the difference on other important things.  I'd like to know the real truth woth some facts to back it up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is he listed on the NIJ website?  If not then they are not certified. It's pretty simple really. If they are in the NIJ certified list then they are certified. If they are noybonvthe list they are not. It doesn't matter what they claim.  It doesn't matter what testing has been done it hasn't been certified by NIJ as meeting their standards unless the product is listed on their compliance list.

Last time I checked (September 2015) there was no steel armor manufacturer in the NIJ list.
View Quote

He is not listed on the site.

This is the closest to NIJ testing I can find.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh, my. You should totally report this thread if you think it violates CoC. I mean, unless you're full of shit and you know it doesn't violate CoC and you're just saying that because it hurt your feelz. Or maybe you're trolling yourself....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Threads like this really bum me out because it's against the COC in here to troll.

Oh, my. You should totally report this thread if you think it violates CoC. I mean, unless you're full of shit and you know it doesn't violate CoC and you're just saying that because it hurt your feelz. Or maybe you're trolling yourself....

This thread is one of the more interesting trainwrecks I've had the pleasure of watching in a while.  

I will have to clarify my understanding of DRhodes' post, though - I don't think he's saying the thread is violating the CoC, he's saying he's "bummed" because it would be against the CoC to troll the thread... "for the lulz," as the kids say these days (I'm probably a couple years behind on my idioms, I'm sure they say something else now...)

I have nothing more of substance to add, except to say that while the posters might not be saying it directly... there is some experience in the armor industry that's worth factoring in.  Wherever you choose to apply that, whether in the direction of "probably knows what they're talking about and more than they're saying," or "inherently biased," is not my call to make for anyone else.  

Carry on!

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 Oh, wow.

So now this thread has migrated to "AR500 doesn't use AR500" and "Steel is different than steel body armor made from steel".

And you guys review armor?

http://www.nowisnottherhyme.net/images/features/bestblogsof2010hipsterrunoff/seinfeld.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew that when I shared the information, the goal posts would be moved and it would be ignored. Nothing can shake the faithful.

In fact you only provided information about steel, not body armor.  

Oh, wow.

So now this thread has migrated to "AR500 doesn't use AR500" and "Steel is different than steel body armor made from steel".

http://www.nowisnottherhyme.net/images/features/bestblogsof2010hipsterrunoff/seinfeld.gif
Are you really suggesting that its ludicrous for a body armor company to have tighter material tolerances than the generic sheet steel stuff you posted?  

Quit acting like everyone in here is praising the steel body armor overlords and think for a second.  I never said they don't use AR500 (even though someone else did) but if you think they can't put a hardness spec on their drawing or PO you're out of touch with how factories buy raw materials.

You quoted a generic steel spec, for industrial sheets that anyone can buy.  You did not provide proof that steel body armor has that wide of a range, and you didn't back up your claim that steel has "softer spots" that are only a few inches apart.

The likely reason is because neither are true.

If you want to explain to people, with facts, why steel body armor is inferior then go ahead and do it.  In several ways, it is. But don't act like steel armor plates are some industrial nonuniform shit with soft spots that might let a round sneak through.  

The point of these threads (and my armor testing) is to explain things to people so they can pick their own shit, not lead them toward what your personal preference is.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Threads like this really bum me out because it's against the COC in here to troll.

Reading is pretty difficult for you, I guess.

That explains the tank.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This thread is one of the more interesting trainwrecks I've had the pleasure of watching in a while.  

I will have to clarify my understanding of DRhodes' post, though - I don't think he's saying the thread is violating the CoC, he's saying he's "bummed" because it would be against the CoC to troll the thread... "for the lulz," as the kids say these days (I'm probably a couple years behind on my idioms, I'm sure they say something else now...)

I have nothing more of substance to add, except to say that while the posters might not be saying it directly... there is some experience in the armor industry that's worth factoring in.  Wherever you choose to apply that, whether in the direction of "probably knows what they're talking about and more than they're saying," or "inherently biased," is not my call to make for anyone else.  

Carry on!

http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/food-smileys/popcornsmiley1.gif

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on!

~Augee

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cut an armor plate out of a sheet of AR500 steel and it is still AR500.  Curve that steel in a press and it is no longer AR500 uniformly over the plate.  Each curve type: flat, single, multi, would need to be evaluated in separate trials.  Same with coated vs uncoated.  I also wouldn't doubt layer60's assertion that a 10% variance is usual in the hardness, that would be well within specification for many industrial materials.

I just looked and AR500Armor's level III and Level IV plates are on the list.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Carry on!

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on!

~Augee

Lol, okay, gotcha.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That explains the tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That explains the tank.

I've never heard of the Army turning down candidates for being too smart.. Just sayin'.  

But yeah, sometimes I have trouble reading between the lines.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i65.tinypic.com/jk7lep.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. Thanks. I guess they are NIJ certified now then.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
My information about AR500armor.com not using generic AR500 came from information I got from them when doing armor research. They had issues with quality control, bending multi-curve plates, and certain rated plates and chose a slightly different alloys based on application. They also started specing an alloy that is more stringent than AR500 for armor and use steels other than very tightly regulated AR500 in certain applications. I did not ask for their proprietary steel info and what products use what steels. I spoke with two different multi-curved steel dealers and one uses a press brake and one does not due to claimed weakness at the hard bends in a press brake bent armor piece. I have no data to support if that is true or not. Their specs for their armor steel are higher than regular AR500. AR500armor.com's original flat armor plates from AR500 were straight, generic AR500. They now select and spec specific steels or harnesses of steels, heat treats etc. for each application. I am not privy to the specifics, but their own website states:

What is AR500 Armor Body Armor made of?

AR500 Armor uses an advanced ballistic grade steel core as the backbone of our armor. This material is much harder than traditional steel and other alternatives of “steel armor” currently on the market. Our material is specially designed for us and to our standards for use in ballistic applications. The combination of our ingenuity, manufacturing techniques, and experience in the armor and tactical gear industry allow us to produce armor that is unmatched in performance and quality. Our in house manufacturing allows us to offer our armor at a realistic and affordable price point.

The core of AR500 Armor body armor measures in on the Brinell Hardness Scale (BNH) between 504 and 519. Reliable traits of our core such as consistent thickness and temper are what we’ve built our reputation on. AR500 Armor is known for producing reliable and effective body armor solutions. Simply put, we use the highest quality ballistic grade steel available in the industry. Few in the industry have the ability to obtain the same quality material and utilize our unique manufacturing techniques.

We encourage you to be weary and do your research on any armor solution you choose, regardless if you decide to purchase elsewhere or from us. Look for quality and a reputation you can trust as not all “steel armor” is created equal and required to meet strict quality standards and product testing standards.

The more gentle curved armor I looked at was from Spartan. From their website:

Extreme Lightweight Steel Core Level III+ Armaply™ Armor from Spartan Armor Systems.  This armor has our signature Advanced Triple Curve™ (ATC) ergonomic profile as well.  We’ve tested a wide-array of higher hardness steel core armor plates and we have worked closely with our metallurgist.  The result – A revolutionary steel core armor platform manufactured precisely to our specifications!  With it’s specific chemical and physical properties meeting our exact requirements, our proprietary Armaply™ Armor  has exceptional forming properties- much better than traditional AR650+ hardness steel core armor platforms.  This armor is able to be formed to our ergonomic, PATENT-PENDING ATC profile very SAFELY using our proprietary bending methods and tooling.  This is NOT your typical press-brake bent armor.  This armor has a single, flowing bend radius to preserve the integrity of the plate.

So if you wish to know more you can contact them yourself and ask for any specifics that you wish to. Please share the information you get from them.

My own research drove me to select ceramic over UHMWPE stand alone plates in a SAPI shape that would stop both M855 and M193 at 3200+fps. I stopped my steel armor research and focused on UHMWPE and ceramic limitations. I can only offer what I learned up till that point. I am still learning too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did I miss that?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How did I miss that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did I miss that?

So where does XM193 come in? Is this the independent lab stuff mentioned earlier?

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So where does XM193 come in? Is this the independent lab stuff mentioned earlier?

View Quote

I don't know of any formal testing against XM193, just guys like us shooting it and recording it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Some manufacturers also have an independent lab test armor for special threats in accordance with NIJ standard. Obviously, that has no bearing on the threat level rating, but it does carry more weight than some fatass on YouTube.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://www.ar500armor.com/Images_2/AR500Armor_NIJ06_IIIA_72213.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar500armor.com/Images_2/AR500Armor_NIJ06_IIIA_72213.jpg

When you see the word (modified) anywhere on the sheet, that's a warning. It's also a guarantee that it's not certified.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are you really suggesting that its ludicrous for a body armor company to have tighter material tolerances than the generic sheet steel stuff you posted?    

Where to they buy their steel that has higher tolerances? I'm saying that AR500 steel has that variation period, because it's fundamental to high carbon steel, which derives it's strength from the crystalline microstructure, which is not not not homogeneous.

Quit acting like everyone in here is praising the steel body armor overlords and think for a second.  I never said they don't use AR500 (even though someone else did) but if you think they can't put a hardness spec on their drawing or PO you're out of touch with how factories buy raw materials.

I only see two or three people praising and defending it.

You quoted a generic steel spec, for industrial sheets that anyone can buy.  You did not provide proof that steel body armor has that wide of a range, and you didn't back up your claim that steel has "softer spots" that are only a few inches apart.

Where, exactly, did you get the idea that the steel used to make body armor is somehow different from industrial steel? The only sources for it are industrial steel manufacturers. If you believe or know that it's different, prove it. You can't because it's not.

They are absolutely true.

If you want to explain to people, with facts, why steel body armor is inferior then go ahead and do it.  In several ways, it is. But don't act like steel armor plates are some industrial nonuniform shit with soft spots that might let a round sneak through.  

I have.

The point of these threads (and my armor testing) is to explain things to people so they can pick their own shit, not lead them toward what your personal preference is.  

Precisely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew that when I shared the information, the goal posts would be moved and it would be ignored. Nothing can shake the faithful.
In fact you only provided information about steel, not body armor.  

Oh, wow.

Where to they buy their steel that has higher tolerances? I'm saying that AR500 steel has that variation period, because it's fundamental to high carbon steel, which derives it's strength from the crystalline microstructure, which is not not not homogeneous.

I only see two or three people praising and defending it.

Where, exactly, did you get the idea that the steel used to make body armor is somehow different from industrial steel? The only sources for it are industrial steel manufacturers. If you believe or know that it's different, prove it. You can't because it's not.

They are absolutely true.

I have.

Precisely.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When you see the word (modified) anywhere on the sheet, that's a warning. It's also a guarantee that it's not certified.
View Quote

Copy that.

Turns out they are certified, though.

I'm guessing the sheet I posted was prior to the NIJ certification.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those model numbers on the list are shared NIJ certs, and they are plates manufactured by someone else. Look on the list and notice how many times they appear under different labels.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Their IIIA products do not appear in the NIJ list, unless I'm missing something. Could be that they're working on that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Those model numbers on the list are shared NIJ certs, and they are plates manufactured by someone else. Look on the list and notice how many times they appear under different labels.
View Quote

What does that mean?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interdasting. Glad to see you finally contributing. I look forward to the new age of peace and detente.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm taking a lot of interest in this thread because I'm ready to buy armor- have the money I need and have been researching different products and carriers.  I want to get the best product I can.

As an independent observer of this debate, what are your qualifications and expertise on this subject?  To be honest, you haven't provided anything in this thread other than "take my word for it" or "check other threads."

I don't want to waste my money on steel if it won't do what it's supposed to.  However, if good qaulity steel is cheaper than ceramics than I can spend the difference on other important things.  I'd like to know the real truth woth some facts to back it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I concur on all points. As I mentioned, there is some merit to the argument, but he seems to wrapped up in feelings and stick on the idea that we ought just take his word for it.

I have mentioned some of my credentials before but I would prefer to just tell the story of my username: When I was designing plates, one of my goals was to get Dyneema HB2 from 63 layers down to 60 layers and still pass NIJ04 level III standards. I bought a new, bigger press just for that purpose (and because I needed another press) and redesigned our tooling from the ground up. Although these days, HB2 is basically never used and getting a sub-3lb level III plate is something many companies can do, nobody could do it at that time. It was a mission for us that took on a life of it's own, although it would have bored most people to tears. When we finally got back the results of a successful lab test at 60 layers, it was quite a celebration and one of the fondest memories I have of my time in the industry and of the great folks working for me. Six months later, I received an offer on the company that I couldn't refuse, especially since the sammich maker was demanding that I retire, so that I didn't die. You may have noticed that I can be a rather intense fellow.

Anyway, then I became a useless old man yelling at kids until I discovered ARFCom, where I work diligently to be an armchair commando. When I set up an account on the site, "Layer60" just seemed like the right name to go with.

Fuck, now that I think about it, that's pretty sad and pathetic.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I dunno man, that's pretty badass if you ask me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, that explains the bias, but it's a cooler story than my username.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
^

Yup.

But for real just because industrial AR500 steel is 460-544 BHN that doesn't mean that armor companies can't tell the steel distributor "I want plates that are 520-530", they'll just pay more for them.  We do it all the time at work.  I never said that's exactly what they do, nor can I prove it.  What I said was; reading a catalog with steel properties doesn't tell you how hard a body armor plate is.  And it doesn't.  They could be using shit that's 461, or they could be paying a premium for plates that are 530+.  I would think that their testing would be done with a sample at the lowest end of their tolerance, that's what any self respecting company would do.  

The crystalline structure of a plate can only vary along that plate if the temperature and quench varied along that plate, which would not happen with a 1/4" thick 10x12 plate.  I have a guy willing to check BHN in a grid pattern on an armor plate and record the hardness at each point to see how consistent it is.  I'll post it when he gets me the data.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What does that mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that mean?

People in the armor industry rebrand plates. If you look at level 3+ hybrid plates about a third will be listed as model 3610. If you look at a Hesco 3610 and another companies level 3+ certified as model number 3610 its the same plate with different skin and stickers for identification. Like GMC/Chevy... only far more often copied.

And to whoever IM'ed me a question about armor please resend because I accidentally deleted the message.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Now someone needs to do a test of these AR680 plates from BPM:

http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Steel.html

My understanding thus far has been that higher hardness than AR500 and you're looking at plate fracture on impact, but these guys seem to think otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Now someone needs to do a test of these AR680 plates from BPM:

http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Steel.html

My understanding thus far has been that higher hardness than AR500 and you're looking at plate fracture on impact, but these guys seem to think otherwise.
View Quote
I already shot holes in that plate with M193. At a velocity less than what was listed on their site.  

They did update the website after my test though, so that was good.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I like how they just make up whatever bullshit sounds good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

People in the armor industry rebrand plates. If you look at level 3+ hybrid plates about a third will be listed as model 3610. If you look at a Hesco 3610 and another companies level 3+ certified as model number 3610 its the same plate with different skin and stickers for identification. Like GMC/Chevy... only far more often copied.

And to whoever IM'ed me a question about armor please resend because I accidentally deleted the message.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that mean?

It's actually even more confusing than that, because several manufacturers use the same model numbers for their own plates. So given the example of "3610", there are more than one manufacturer using that numerical designation for a plate model, even though they are different plates. Most of the bigger manufacturers have all switched to 3400, 3600, 3610, and so on numbering systems, for reasons that make little sense to me, unless it's intentional obfuscation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's actually even more confusing than that, because several manufacturers use the same model numbers for their own plates. So given the example of "3610", there are more than one manufacturer using that numerical designation for a plate model, even though they are different plates. Most of the bigger manufacturers have all switched to 3400, 3600, 3610, and so on numbering systems, for reasons that make little sense to me, unless it's intentional obfuscation.
View Quote

So, is it that armor tested wasn't really AR500, or that the AR500 testest wasn't the same as they are selling?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So, is it that armor tested wasn't really AR500, or that the AR500 testest wasn't the same as they are selling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm saying that the NIJ certs listed on the compliance site are from another manufacturer and most likely are Tencate plates.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted directly from LEECO:

AR500F steel plate is a premium abrasion resistant steel plate, heat treated to exhibit through-hardening, improved forming and welding capabilities. With a typical BHN of 460 – 544, the protection AR500F provides in wear applications is exceptional. Used in the manufacture of mining equipment, the truck-trailer industry and the concrete / aggregate industry, AR500F steel possesses excellent resistance to slide wear, rub wear and heavy wear. It can also withstand high impact stresses, even at extremely low temperatures.

The variances are actually wider than I remembered from when we tested sheets of everything from AR400 to explosion welded chromium carbide. Oops, I forgot: you already determined that I haven't done any metal hardness testing, just as you had already determined that I was wrong about hardness variations. That's easy to understand since you indicated that you and some others here have tested this sort of thing. I mean, what would LEECO know about steel that you don't? What would I know, for that matter? I'm just a random guy on the internet.

I'm sure that this information, like all of my other statements (which are also factually correct) will now be meaningless and brushed off. All of these armor conversations would be much easier if people would just accept that I'm right. Then I wouldn't have to feel like I was beating a puppy for pissing on the carpet.

[ETA] Holy shit, that's an 84 point BHN range. I thought it was "only" around 50. The idea of trusting your life to something with a consistency variation of 16.8% is pure insanity, and that number assumes you are buying from the most established steel manufacturer in the world, rather than some Chinese shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, I'm done. The claims that the NIJ doesn't certify anything, that ceramic can't survive being thrown on the ground, and that bullet splatter merely "might hurt a little" go unchallenged but you want me to jump through hoops for you to show that a ~10% deviation in steel hardness is common. It's as though I'm claiming there are flying unicorns but somehow, all of the incorrect statements that I just mentioned are taken at face value.

But in the end, I do know armor as well as just about anyone on this planet could possibly know it.

Clearly you're superior testing and knowledge of metallurgy has amazed us all.

Jumping through hoops = simple, basic proof.

Forgive me if I don't take some random dude's opinion without any supporting proof on the internet as fact.

Quoted directly from LEECO:

AR500F steel plate is a premium abrasion resistant steel plate, heat treated to exhibit through-hardening, improved forming and welding capabilities. With a typical BHN of 460 – 544, the protection AR500F provides in wear applications is exceptional. Used in the manufacture of mining equipment, the truck-trailer industry and the concrete / aggregate industry, AR500F steel possesses excellent resistance to slide wear, rub wear and heavy wear. It can also withstand high impact stresses, even at extremely low temperatures.

The variances are actually wider than I remembered from when we tested sheets of everything from AR400 to explosion welded chromium carbide. Oops, I forgot: you already determined that I haven't done any metal hardness testing, just as you had already determined that I was wrong about hardness variations. That's easy to understand since you indicated that you and some others here have tested this sort of thing. I mean, what would LEECO know about steel that you don't? What would I know, for that matter? I'm just a random guy on the internet.

I'm sure that this information, like all of my other statements (which are also factually correct) will now be meaningless and brushed off. All of these armor conversations would be much easier if people would just accept that I'm right. Then I wouldn't have to feel like I was beating a puppy for pissing on the carpet.

[ETA] Holy shit, that's an 84 point BHN range. I thought it was "only" around 50. The idea of trusting your life to something with a consistency variation of 16.8% is pure insanity, and that number assumes you are buying from the most established steel manufacturer in the world, rather than some Chinese shit.

You said + or - 50. That means actually more than what they are saying. + or - 50 means starting with 0 it can vary as much as +50 or -50. So it would be a 100 point variation.

Also equal brinnel hardness or Rockwell hardness can be equal across the surface of the steel  if fabricated with the new explosion injection process there using to make these new knife steels. They explosion inject the molten steel into form. Look it up its call cpm or something like that. I've only read a few articles on it. Keeping in mind though that I'm sure this isn't how this metal is made. Just speaking for the fact a process is available to solve that problem that is fairly simple.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm saying that the NIJ certs listed on the compliance site are from another manufacturer and most likely are Tencate plates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, not ar500?

That's fucking gay.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:00:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, that's some shady shit
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm caught up with the 6 pages. Very interesting information when you go deeper into heat, bends, steel sources, etc.!
Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Added this pic to OP:

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

^   Yup.
But for real just because industrial AR500 steel is 460-544 BHN that doesn't mean that armor companies can't tell the steel distributor "I want plates that are 520-530", they'll just pay more for them.  We do it all the time at work.  I never said that's exactly what they do, nor can I prove it.  What I said was; reading a catalog with steel properties doesn't tell you how hard a body armor plate is.  And it doesn't.  They could be using shit that's 461, or they could be paying a premium for plates that are 530+.  I would think that their testing would be done with a sample at the lowest end of their tolerance, that's what any self respecting company would do.  

The crystalline structure of a plate can only vary along that plate if the temperature and quench varied along that plate, which would not happen with a 1/4" thick 10x12 plate.  I have a guy willing to check BHN in a grid pattern on an armor plate and record the hardness at each point to see how consistent it is.  I'll post it when he gets me the data.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

^   Yup.

The hardness was checked at 4 places on the plate, variance was +/- 1 point.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^   Yup.

^^ At least in the sampling I had. In order to cast out any doubt, I'd need a perfectly flat and uncoated plate.  As 10mm mentioned, I had an AR500A III+ plate checked at work for Hardness (Rockwell). 4 random spots were checked and variation was +/- 1 point.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top