Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2015 2:46:00 AM EDT
So here's what I'm looking for.

A sleeping bag I can wear that has hole for the legs. It can have sleeves or arm holes.

The idea is I can wear it while I climb up the tree with my tree stand, and then unzip it and just lay on it until it gets cold or starts raining.

Unless I can get my legs free and able to step up over stuff or turn around I can't operate the foot stand or get into position.

The below is an Austrian sniper bag that seems ideal, but I can't find anything like it or anything else in stock that will work similar.

Something padded nice and warm and rain proof with possibly a hood would be ideal.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:57:22 AM EDT
[#1]
How about the Hill People Gear Mountain Serape

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Okay yes that does look pretty awesome, though it doesn't zip down the middle so the majority of time I would sweat my butt off.

I'll need whatever I can find to zip down the front. The idea is to provide padding and comfort during the majority of time when I won't be enclosed in it, however I have the options to throw it over me and zip it up during those cold morning/evenings or when it's raining.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:18:10 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the best option I've been able to find that is in stock, though I wish it was rated for lower than 50 degrees and that the zipper went further down.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
This is what you seek.. I ordered mine big, so that way when its zipped up all the way, if I want, I can have my whole head inside it and my face looking out the neck hole.. Like a turtle..

I love mine, the only complaint I have is It makes me fall asleep all the time.. Dam I really hate taking a nap while hunting.. I also have a few buddys that have the HBS and they all love theirs also..
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This is what you seek.. I ordered mine big, so that way when its zipped up all the way, if I want, I can have my whole head inside it and my face looking out the neck hole.. Like a turtle..

I love mine, the only complaint I have is It makes me fall asleep all the time.. Dam I really hate taking a nap while hunting.. I also have a few buddys that have the HBS and they all love theirs also..
View Quote

On hot days how would I get my legs out without falling out of the climbing stand? It's gonna be rare that I need to actually zip myself up in it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Serious question, not being a dick.

Why not just pull a rope up with you as you climb, that's tied to a stuff sack with a poncho liner and some snacks and then pull that up when you get into your stand. What you're looking for just seems like a really weird/niche item to me. I would find that hill people gear mountain serape that other guy suggested far more useful.

Are you wearing a harness? Inside or outside of that sleeping bag contraption? I feel like this problem could be solved by proper layering, without having to wear a sleeping bag. Is the issue that once you are wearing your harness and tied off you don't want to remove layers because it would be difficult with the harness?

I'm just really having a hard time understanding this. Climbers sleep on artificial ledges that they drag up the cliff with them. Maybe look into their gear? I know that body shaped sleeping bags exist, I've seen them on sale on steepandcheap.

I might actually get one of those hill people gear mountain serapes, that looks like a pretty neat piece of gear.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A sleeping bag I can wear that has hole for the legs. It can have sleeves or arm holes.
The idea is I can wear it while I climb up the tree with my tree stand, and then unzip it and just lay on it until it gets cold or starts raining.

Unless I can get my legs free and able to step up over stuff or turn around I can't operate the foot stand or get into position.

The below is an Austrian sniper bag that seems ideal, but I can't find anything like it or anything else in stock that will work similar.
Something padded nice and warm and rain proof with possibly a hood would be ideal.
Any ideas?

http://www.swisslink.com/FS/atoms/c/4/c/Atom20662.jpg

https://survivalinstinctuk.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dscn2344.jpg  
View Quote

http://www.selkbagusa.com/
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Yeah, the Selkbags are the wierd new version of those.  Mostly marketed towards the mountaineering and outdoor crowd but increasingly popular with loafers .   A buddy of mine got one for his wife a couple years ago for hanging out around the house.  Kind of like a snuggie from REI.  

In our agency search and rescue cache we used to have a couple of old "half bags" that were meant to be zipped to a matching down jacket.  People used to carry those back in the 80's as a weight savings option.  I grabbed a stuffed one for an overnight rescue once thinking it was a a full sleeping bag.  I slept cold...

If you're on promotive, Selkbags is on there.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a USGI surplus level 7 jacket/panks.  Its not a sleeping bag, but it is a big puffy jacket and pants, Both legs unzip 100% of the way on the outside, which would allow you to put them on without moving much.  The jacket is just that, a jacket.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The white one is the Stay Puff Freakin' Marshmello Man!

\
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas?

http://www.swisslink.com/FS/atoms/c/4/c/Atom20662.jpg

https://survivalinstinctuk.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dscn2344.jpg  

http://www.luxurystnd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/selkbag.jpg
http://www.selkbagusa.com/

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess google is down now.

Oh the horror!

I have a couple of the East German
wet weather bags from several years
ago. I don't know if they are still available,
but it might something for the OP to
look into.

John
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Oh the horror!

look into.

John

View Quote

I ordered a German Tanker sleeping bag, commonly called the german sniper sleeping bag.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Google is back up!  Disaster averted!

Here is a pic of it. I didn't remember
the "sniper" part of the description,
but that's how I found this image.

The mid point has a zipper running
across the front so you get your legs
out & it cinches up behind you. It is
somewhat coated for water repellancy,
but I don't think I would trust that too
much. It's a good 3 season bag for
something to knock around it.

This one looks a little short, but I'm
6'-2" and I can sleep just fine in the
ones I have.

YMMV

John

Quoted:

I ordered a German Tanker sleeping bag, commonly called the german sniper sleeping bag.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh the horror!

look into.

John

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a mountain serape from HPG, its pretty damn awesome. It can be a long coat, poncho, sleeping bag, blanket and all kinds of useful stuff. Its made in Murica and HPG is top notch.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:14:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

ones I have.

YMMV

John

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIjMyjdt_Q7n11rYzZxGbKcHBfent0Nn-Gv6GPgKfR2h5OfWXk4A
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ones I have.

YMMV

John

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIjMyjdt_Q7n11rYzZxGbKcHBfent0Nn-Gv6GPgKfR2h5OfWXk4A

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh the horror!

look into.

John

Looks like the one I ordered. Sounds like it will work almost as well as the Austrian one. I did prefer the draw string of the Austrian one over the large flapping bag for the legs on the German one, but it should do for now.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:25:24 AM EDT
[#16]
You checked platatac yet?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#17]
It would seem to me that a good, cheap GI surplus "puffy" or "happy" suit would suit your needs here.  The USGI ECWS Gen III includes a Level 7 "puffy" suit.  The Jarheads have their "happy" suit.  You are essentially wearing your sleeping bag.  So yeah, climbing up a tree shouldn't be a problem.  Built-in holes for head, hands, and feet.  Buy several. Camo them any color you want for various seasons.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]
The Heater Body suit

Very warm. Probably the warmest thing I've worn in a tree stand.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top