Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2015 9:11:53 PM EDT
I am looking to replace my old Army Gore Tex ECWCS jacket and I came across this.....

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/clearance-gear/gore-tex-reversible-desert-nightgrid-jacket-1761.html#product_tabs_description_contents

I know it's not a true ECWCS jacket, but I was thinking since its reversible both layers are Gore Tex so it might provide more protection from the cold weather.  Anyone have any experience with this jacket?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Great jacket for the money. This is a shell only, no insulation, and runs slightly small in my personal experience of one.

It is very nicely made, genuine GoreTex, and a steal at $40ish shipped.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
How does it compare to a Gen 1 ECWCS?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How peeped it compare to a Gen 1 ECWCS?
View Quote

I am unable to make that comparison personally

Look here

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Look here

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How peeped it compare to a Gen 1 ECWCS?

Look here

That link just goes to the main page of the General section.  Is there someplace in particular that has a comparison?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one, it's a good shell.
Note that the DCU part is goretex, if you reverse it the 'night grid' part is a thinner nylon taffeta-looking material.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have one, it's a good shell.
Note that the DCU part is goretex, if you reverse it the 'night grid' part is a thinner nylon taffeta-looking material.
View Quote

So it's only truly waterproof when the DCU shell is worn to the elements.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
They're $35.88 now, I ordered one. How can you go wrong at that price?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am looking to replace my old Army Gore Tex ECWCS jacket and I came across this.....

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/clearance-gear/gore-tex-reversible-desert-nightgrid-jacket-1761.html#product_tabs_description_contents

I know it's not a true ECWCS jacket, but I was thinking since its reversible both layers are Gore Tex so it might provide more protection from the cold weather.  Anyone have any experience with this jacket?
View Quote

I'm not sure of the current ECWCS but the Gen 1 I had 20+ years ago didn't have a liner and didn't do too good of a job of blocking the cold or wind. We'd run a field jacket liner in them or wear a five button sweater under our BDUs.

That being said, a Gore Tex with a fleece liner works well for cold and wet, at least here in the South.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They're $35.88 now, I ordered one. How can you go wrong at that price?
View Quote

Does this jacket come with pit zips? Probably not a big issue if you're static, but I've found that things get kinda steamy in Goretex jackets for me when I start moving and can't ventilate. I always ensure that all rainwear I buy has 'em. Doesn't do you any good if you're wet by soaking in your own sweat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I got one of these from Bass Pro, http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Pro-Qualifier-GORETEX-Rain-Parka-for-Men/product/10210287/

It's a little heavier than I would like, but seems well put together.  And it comes in men's sizes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#11]
So if I wear a Med/Regular BDU top, get this in large/regular?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I have two of the Goretex jackets from TAG, they're good kit. If you wear a med-reg BDU I'd get medium reg in the Goretex as well. I prefer my jackets longer in the body and medium-long works great for me at 6'1 180lbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top