Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2015 9:46:55 PM EDT
I have been searching for a set of ear pro that fits my like my Peltor tactical 100's yet amplifies like Howard Leights. I have both pairs and neither really work for me because my hearing is already pretty damn bad. The Peltors fit MUCH better than the HL and suppress noise better but with any sort of plugs in I can't hear anything. With HL's I can hear pretty good with surefire plugs or standard plugs BUT they don't seal very well and don't cut sound that great.

Ideally something like the  tac 100's with more amplification would be perfect. Does such a thing exist?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been searching for a set of ear pro that fits my like my Peltor tactical 100's yet amplifies like Howard Leights. I have both pairs and neither really work for me because my hearing is already pretty damn bad. The Peltors fit MUCH better than the HL and suppress noise better but with any sort of plugs in I can't hear anything. With HL's I can hear pretty good with surefire plugs or standard plugs BUT they don't seal very well and don't cut sound that great.

Ideally something like the  tac 100's with more amplification would be perfect. Does such a thing exist?
View Quote

Buy some MSA/Sordins, one of the best purchase I ever did. You think Peltor are comfortable... try on some MSAs
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy some MSA/Sordins, one of the best purchase I ever did. You think Peltor are comfortable... try on some MSAs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The super low NRR has me worried...
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should wear ear plugs with ALL electronic ear protection.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry about that number, get a pair that comes with the gel seals. I have MSA sordins, HL's, Peltor 100's, and just ordered Peltor Comtac III's because the higher end electronic ears actually work better to me. It really is one of those you get what you pay for deals.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing will amplify as much as the impact sports, I use them hunting for just that purpose and have wanted what you are looking for.

I have a set of TCI DEHP's which are just upgraded MSA's and while they are cool, I would not buy them again.  
(I would however buy the liberators if I needed professional communications, which is the same thing as the DEHP but with a boom)

IMO, you spend the big bucks for -very- clear/clean sound reproduction and communications with great sound attenuating
(they do amplify to a reasonable level above what you would naturally hear, but you wont hear heart-beats like the impact sports)
(the TCI/MSA stuff doesn't simply shut off sounds, it compresses them so you can talk above the gunfire)
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nothing will amplify as much as the impact sports, I use them hunting for just that purpose and have wanted what you are looking for.

I have a set of TCI DEHP's which are just upgraded MSA's and while they are cool, I would not buy them again.  
(I would however buy the liberators if I needed professional communications, which is the same thing as the DEHP but with a boom)

IMO, you spend the big bucks for -very- clear/clean sound reproduction and communications with great sound attenuating
(they do amplify to a reasonable level above what you would naturally hear, but you wont hear heart-beats like the impact sports)
(the TCI/MSA stuff doesn't simply shut off sounds, it compresses them so you can talk above the gunfire)
View Quote

I might try a set of custom plugs with howard leights and see how that is.

I was looking around and some of the more expensive 3m ones claimed 4x amplification. Some brand I saw claimed 8x...
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Sordins with gel cups & Surefire plugs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are asking for more amplification than HL impact sports, then good luck.  I was looking for the same thing and found nothing, so let us know if you do.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Another thing that sets the TCI DEHP unit apart from the others is that the internal electronics
are also water resistant. This helps prevent the unit from failing due to excessive moisture
corroding the circuit boards inside. If you use ear pro while sweating, some of the sweat
gets in the unit, if you are not diligent in airing-out the units, that moisture will eventually
cause unit failure.

If you are a casual shooter and don't work up a sweat while shooting, this is not a big deal.

Another recommendation would be the Peltor ComTac IV's.

http://peltorcomms.3m.com/world/Product.asp?PageNumber=932&Product_Id=418&ProductCategory_Id=36

These are not cheap (most expensive), however, they use a flanged ear plug to both supply the sound and provide
protection from loud sounds. This is good for the OP due to the plug providing sound directly into
the ear canal. Also, since there is no sealed ear cup to collect and hold moisture, the electronics should not fail
due to moisture.

As another poster stated, always use plugs with electronic ear pro, especially those designed to be worn under helmets.
Their slim profile precludes the additional protection (higher NRR) that you get with the bigger ear pro. It's a trade off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I would be ok with impact sport amplification but they don't seal on my head very well, at all. So they don't offer me much more protection than plugs alone.

The tac 100s fit awesome and suppress sound well but dont seem to amplify at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top