Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 10:48:05 AM EDT
I've read posts about painting gear. How durable is it? Like if I used Krylon camo paint from wal mart to paint some UCP gear OD. I don't want it flaking off or looking like shit. Any pics?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#1]
It's UCP gear, it already looks like shit. What could possibly make it any worse?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
^ Nice.

I've spray painted some cheap black nylon gear and it came out fine. As long as the coat is even and light, the paint will bind more to the substrate than to itself. If the paint buildup is too much, it will crack when flexed.

Instead of painting, try dying the fabric with RIT Dye. There are a few threads in this forum detailing the process. Or just throw it in the junk gear pile and get something that actually works.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
They make a rattle can type fabric dye that you might be interested in
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some OD Tactical Tailor pouches I spray painted with a dusting of tan 10 years ago which are still just as covered as they were the day I sprayed them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've dusted gear with spray paint and it does wear down over time, but it works. Wouldn't suggest completely coating everything in a thick coat, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top