Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 1:06:29 PM EDT
What is the benefit of one v. the other?

Would stand alone be lighter /thinner than the two combined (plate plus soft backer)?  Or would stand alone be thicker/heavier?

Would stand alone be better for multi hits? (Pretty sure rating IV is rating IV, but I assume you need a backer on the non stand alone since the plate may break up and fragments of the plate come off the back????)

Do the soft backers provide more coverage (ie. would the soft armor extend out past the sides/top of a standard plate?  I'd assume they have to be same size to fit in the armor pocket)?  Obviously this would not be level IV/Rifle protection.

What does the backer do on the non stand alone (is it as I assumed above, that fragments of the plate break off)?

Thanks.  Tired to read up and search.  I think I know basics about the ratings etc, but can't find anything answering the above questions about IV v. IV with backer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've read on specs the total weight of level IV ICW plates will be higher than stand alone.  Part of the idea of ICW plates is using them when you are already wearing soft armor, like an IOTV.  The backers may provide more coverage if you are using an armor carrier that uses the wraparound BALCS soft armor, otherwise I doubt you would get any extra coverage if things are sized correctly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I would expect less blunt force trauma using ICW, but I don't have any data to back that theory.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Plates backed by soft body armor is much better for many reasons.   You get side coverage and more coverage in all places.  You can also wear it without the plates if you are in a situation where rifle fire is unlikely.

Having said that, they add a lot of bulk and some weight to your load.

I have two set ups for soft body armor and each will accept plates, I just don't have any plates yet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally prefer soft armor with all applications to reduce BFT. I wear them with Level III steel, Level III ceramic, ICW Level IV and Stand Alone Level IV plates.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I have III+ steel plates and have been working out a bit with my pc on etc just to get a feel for them and a thin II rated backer would be nice. Not just for gunshots, but for any hard impact really. A trip/fall onto pavement, for example, prolly ain't gonna feel to good with no backer at all....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone know about my 3rd question re: multi hits?

If the backing is just for comfort and blunt force absorption, I would assume the IV ICW would not require a separate rating (since that only has to do with bullet penetration, not how comfortable it is to get shot).
My assumption would be the IV ICW may have some material fragment off the back side of the plate and the ceramic breaks as it absorbs the energy from the bullet, and the soft armor is needed to block that.  IF that is true, it would mean the IV stand alone would not break apart (at least with one shot), and thus be better for multiple hits (even if the rating systems don't specify that).

Anyone who has actually shot at plates who can verify one way or the other?  I know the rating is "IV" either way, but I would think stand alone would be better just in case of more than one hit....

I guess, in a nutshell: if price was the same would stand alone IV be a "better" plate that IV ICW regardless of whether you decided to use soft armor as a "cushion"?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#7]
The soft armor behind ICW plates is to help with backface deformation.  I've worked with two other designers and have an NIJ certification myself.  None of us add a backer to catch any pieces of a shot plate.  If we are getting secondary projectiles off the back of the plate, that design isn't working.

The ICW plate should be lighter than a stand alone one.  You don't have to add extra backer material to the tile to take care of the BFD.  With ICW you can design to just stop the rated threat and let your soft armor work on the BFD.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Chris, thanks.
Sounds like the standalone basically has a soft backer built in to handle the backside deformity, but the ceramic portion is pretty much the same between stand alone and ICW (?).
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chris, thanks.

Sounds like the standalone basically has a soft backer built in to handle the backside deformity, but the ceramic portion is pretty much the same between stand alone and ICW (?).
View Quote
Kind of/sort of.  The backer that goes behind the tile isn't a soft backer.  It'll be processed in a large press, autoclave, or under vacuum in an oven.  It basically turns UD or woven rolled goods into a hard board that is fit to the tile shape.

The tiles themselves vary depending on build requirements.  It may be AL2O3, SiC, or B4C with different thickness and purities...based on cost/weight/threat goals.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool.  thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone know about my 3rd question re: multi hits?

If the backing is just for comfort and blunt force absorption, I would assume the IV ICW would not require a separate rating (since that only has to do with bullet penetration, not how comfortable it is to get shot).
My assumption would be the IV ICW may have some material fragment off the back side of the plate and the ceramic breaks as it absorbs the energy from the bullet, and the soft armor is needed to block that.  IF that is true, it would mean the IV stand alone would not break apart (at least with one shot), and thus be better for multiple hits (even if the rating systems don't specify that).

Anyone who has actually shot at plates who can verify one way or the other?  I know the rating is "IV" either way, but I would think stand alone would be better just in case of more than one hit....

I guess, in a nutshell: if price was the same would stand alone IV be a "better" plate that IV ICW regardless of whether you decided to use soft armor as a "cushion"?
View Quote

Shot a cracked military SAPI with a dozen 6.8 and 5.56 rounds. It crumbled in the wrap but had no back-face issues. Stopped all the rounds until the crumbled pieces left the top inch exposed and a round zipped through there. After 15 rounds, if it struck a crumbled mass of ceramic, it stopped the round with minimal back-face deformation (would still hurt though). If it hit an area where the ceramic and fallen away from (edge/top) it would zip through. Very surprised by the ceramic multi-hit resistance. If you take more than 3-4 hits to the chest you also likely have multiple gut/limb penetrations IMO.

Also shot steel/dyneema hybrid plate.As long as the initial rifle round went through the steel and did not go EXACTLY through the same hole in the steel it stopped all rounds. It was something like 41 of 42 rounds stopped or something like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top