Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2015 6:33:54 PM EDT
Just ordered a IIIA+ front plate and trauma pad, and two 6X8 level IIIA side soft armor. Its gonna be a long 10 weeks in anticipation

Whats your experience with AR500 if you have ever used them?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask Layer60...he thinks highly of that style of armor
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Inside joke, or over my head..?

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You will be lucky to receive it in 10 weeks. I ordered a setup from them last November and didn't receive it until May. The best part is their horrible customer service, that they are now blaming on a computer error. Not a fan of the company I actually sold my setup from them and bought a grey ghost carrier and in the market for plates.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You will be lucky to receive it in 10 weeks. I ordered a setup from them last November and didn't receive it until May. The best part is their horrible customer service, that they are now blaming on a computer error. Not a fan of the company I actually sold my setup from them and bought a grey ghost carrier and in the market for plates.
View Quote
Interesting. Perhaps I should cancel my order.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's up to you. I know I sent multiple emails to them during my wait, one even saying I would like to cancel my order, all with no response. The funny part is not a few days after I requested to cancel my order my package arrived.
They did finally respond to my emails last week. It is hard to beat their prices.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Fwiw. Mine came in about 10 weeks. About 9 weeks in, I sent an email making sure all was well..? They responded within 30 minutes, letting me know it was to go out the next day and I'd be getting the tracking number, etc then...which I did.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Fwiw. Mine came in about 10 weeks. About 9 weeks in, I sent an email making sure all was well..? They responded within 30 minutes, letting me know it was to go out the next day and I'd be getting the tracking number, etc then...which I did.
View Quote
My order came in in less than 10 days.  special ordered left cut too.  Something happened to their email system, there was an announcement on facebook about it the other day.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I want a one of their plates ... I just don't like lead times.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the cost and weight of these steel plates?

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:11:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I live about 10 miles down the road from them. I walked in and bought plates and walked out with no problems. They have a very small sales floor but were very nice and polite. They went through and answered all my questions on the testing and QC on their plates as well as let me put hands on some pouches and nylon gear I hadn't actually played with yet.

I wish they'd figure out their supply chain issues for their soft Carbon Nanotube panels so I could buy a set and test it, but they always seem to be out of stock with no idea when it will be back in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I want a one of their plates ... I just don't like lead times.
View Quote
http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-body-armor.html

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't decide if I want to change my order to their ceramic level IV or cancel my order because of their shitty CS and extended lead times. I can't believe that you can buy them at their storefront if they state 10 weeks out on Internet purchases on their website

I called and asked if I would be charged when I ordered or when they shipped. If there's one thing i hate, it's paying upfront.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Targetman plates, you will have the same plates or better in a week or 2.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#14]
There are many companies that produce AR500 grade steel plates.

Normally i would tell you to go with ceramic but since you already ordered them....
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
So this morning I called up and asked to cancel my order for the III+ plate and to upgrade my order to the level IV Ceramic. They refunded my order amount in the form of a gift card which I used to place a new order for the level IV plate.  Within an hour of placing my order I got a shipping notification from them so I called  and found good news that it wasnt a mistake and they were all caught up with their level IV plates and I'd have it by early next week

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought the single-curve front and back and two side plates with the Line-x (or whatever) coating. Ordered mid-August last year, had them in about two weeks. He posted a discount code in his industry forum. No issues to report.

What can I say? I didn't test them and I really don't want to get shot to find out if they performed as advertised. Mostly, I wear my kit around the house and on a stationary bike because it's heavy as hell so it's a little extra resistance and also because it makes my wife roll her eyes and call me names.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I already read the archived threads

But while you're here got anything to add?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To grab IV plates from a reputable source that has actual NIJ level testing listed on the DOJ website with at least a 2005 interim certification...but you already ordered, soooo....
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
To grab IV plates from a reputable source that has actual NIJ level testing listed on the DOJ website with at least a 2005 interim certification...but you already ordered, soooo....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see what is so terrible about the ar500 level IV?, or ar500 in general? A big concern of people through my searches is that m193 zips right through them, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't seen one vid of it penetrating. I did find a video or someone shooting 22-250(I think) at their level III+ and it stopped that too. That round is approaching 4000 FPS.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't see what is so terrible about the ar500 level IV?, or ar500 in general? A big concern of people through my searches is that m193 zips right through them, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't seen one vid of it penetrating. I did find a video or someone shooting 22-250(I think) at their level III+ and it stopped that too. That round is approaching 4000 FPS.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again - Layer can go into more detail about the nuances of composite armor and the more inferior steel armor. From what I understand not all armor is created equally due to production and quality standards and batch/lot testing which can range from 1 of every 100 plates to 1 every 25000, among other factors.

The AR500 Lvl IV plates are not NIJ tested at all but are said by the company to meet near NIJ specs due to their subjective testing and interpretation of the NIJ standards.

For little more from Midwest Armor or 3M/Ceradyne you can get genuine LE issue plates for $25-50 more than the AR500s that are actually certified by the NIJ and listed on the DOJ website. To me that's a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Again - Layer can go into more detail about the nuances of composite armor and the more inferior steel armor. From what I understand not all armor is created equally due to production and quality standards and batch/lot testing which can range from 1 of every 100 plates to 1 every 25000, among other factors.

The AR500 Lvl IV plates are not NIJ tested at all but are said by the company to meet near NIJ specs due to their subjective testing and interpretation of the NIJ standards.

For little more from Midwest Armor or 3M/Ceradyne you can get genuine LE issue plates for $25-50 more than the AR500s that are actually certified by the NIJ and listed on the DOJ website. To me that's a no-brainer.

View Quote

Not continuing this to be a dick, I just want reassurance in my purchase and confidence in my armor, should I ever actually need it.

Their website states that their lvl III is NIJ certified:

http://www.ar500armor.com/ballistic-tests.html

And even though their lvl 4 ceramic plates aren't NIJ certified, their test videos do inspire some degree of confidence. Their AP 30.06 one aside, I haven't found much info on the lvl IV offering and I keep searching.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Not continuing this to be a dick, I just want reassurance in my purchase and confidence in my armor, should I ever actually need it.

And even though their lvl 4 ceramic plates aren't NIJ certified, their test videos do inspire some degree of confidence. Their AP 30.06 one aside, I haven't found much info on the lvl IV offering and I keep searching.
View Quote
Those test reports show that two flat plates did not have a completion using NIJ III standards. They are not NIJ certified or listed on the CPL.  

Being NIJ certified means that there is extra accountability that must be maintained (raw material lots used in building the plates, build specifications must remain the same, initial user information, and "final product" lot information).  That is to help track down issued plates in case there are problems (poor performance in the field, raw material manufacturer recall, etc...) Raw ballistic material that comes in will need a certification of compliance with their provided company specifications and well as lot testing for each manufacturing lot.  CPL listing also requires you to submit production samples at various times for 3rd party testing.

Not being NIJ certified means that the plate manufacturer does not have to maintain that accountability for materials, products produced, and QA/QC standards. They can sell whatever they want.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read what Cixelsyd said above.

If you ever 'actually NEED it' and you want 'piece of mind' then non-NIJ certified armor would not be my recommendation.

Here are two infinitely better choices:

Midwest Armor NIJ06
http://www.midwestarmor.com/body-armor/proguard-iv

3M/Ceradyne/MaxPro NIJ05 Interim.
http://www.galls.com/max-pro-police-level-iv-ballistic-plate#.Vd8xR9NVhBc
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:54:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Or just buy from bulletproofme
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I live my plates. Estimated time was pretty close and
they even cut me a gift card after seeing I was LEO for the cost of the
discount. Got me a cool shirt and some stickers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top