Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2015 9:14:22 AM EDT
I've been wanting an RBAV for a long while and I couldn't pass up getting one at this price. $123 priority shipped for an XL size.
There are other sizes available and I'm sure more lots will be available. There are 2 left in XL at that price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XL-X-Large-New-BAE-RBAV-Khaki-Releasable-Body-Armor-Vest-Plate-Carrier-CIRAS-/301659004244?hash=item463c471d54
Now I need some friggin plates and pouches.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#1]
$ 110 bucks is a great deal !..
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the sizing like on these? I'm 6' tall, 190lbs, and wear a medium OCP IOTV. This is way too big for me, and I suspect an XL in this might be the same results.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#3]
It's based on the SPEAR / BALCS armor sizing. So yes an XL will be too big for you
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Im 6' and 190lbs and wear a large RBAV-AF, very nice vest. Paid well over $300 for mine though
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Received my new in package RBAV-SF - Large yesterday.  Couldn't beat 120.00 shipped. These are being sold by vendors that bought lots of 50 for around $2,500 - $3,000 in June/July.  

Brand new
Produced by SDS
Got a medium inbound for my son.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Would any of the common police style body armor inserts fit in this to use as soft body armor? Does anyone know?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:33:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been dicking around with mine and it seems pretty cool. I need to get some plates still. Not sure what route I'm going there yet. I've ordered all of the pouches I can see needing for now for it and my rucksack other than a good dedicated IFAK pouch, though I ordered a couple of like new USMC IFAK pouches for $9 each off of Ebay. I'm gonna probably dye it with some dark brown rit dye this weekend to get it closer to coyote brown because I'm metrosexual like that and want it to match the rest of my gear. I've got 3 grenade pouches for it, a triple and single mag shingle, 100 round SAW pouch, a GI IFAK pouch, admin pouch, and a Camelbak (in a cordura carrier) stuffed in the rear pocket. This was just too damn good a deal for a new in wrap very nice armor carrier. I've already used the release cable once. It instantly just falls apart like Patrick Stewart looked at you and made it fall off. Witchcraft. It's pretty easy to reassemble after you've done it once. The vest is khaki and all of the pouches like the in this pic are coyote brown except the admin panel which is Condor "coyote tan" which is a slightly lighter brown than regular coyote brown but it's fairly close if you're metrosexual and want matching colors like me. The mag pouches are Tactical Tailor and the grenade pouch is eagle USMC issue. the SAW pouch and IFAK pouch won't be in until Monday and are made by Eagle and SDS. This USMC surplus shit is cheap as hell. I just need a dump pouch now and a more gucci IFAK pouch.

Ordered one of these for the velcro under the chin where the release handle is (along with several MSM patches).

It'll go great with my ACR (which I need to get patriot brown cerakoted).

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Would any of the common police style body armor inserts fit in this to use as soft body armor? Does anyone know?
View Quote
I dunno. It's tailored for SPEAR/BALCS cut armor, so find out if your police panels are cut the same/similarly.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Picked up medium size level III plates from a buddy today. I've got them pushed up all the way to the top nice and tight using the securing velcro straps. Seems to fit/work ok. I'll eventually get some extra large level IV plates since I've got a pretty good size chest/torso because I'm a big grown ass man, but these will work until then.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
So could you use this just as a plate carrier? And add in more armor later if you decide too?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Are these things the same thing as the IOTV?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Careful with that dark brown Rit dye - it's very reddish. Keep a close eye on your carrier during the dye process.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So could you use this just as a plate carrier? And add in more armor later if you decide too?
View Quote

That's what I'm doing although truly you would be better off in terms of weight and mobility to just get a plate carrier. I want to get the soft armor inserts later though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are these things the same thing as the IOTV?
View Quote

I think they're overall pretty similar, but that's just from light reading about the iotv.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Careful with that dark brown Rit dye - it's very reddish. Keep a close eye on your carrier during the dye process.
View Quote

I did a test on an old khaki boonie hat. It got turned purple lol. My plan is to now get some tan or maybe taupe and try again.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Picked up an XL for $126 shipped. I'm 6' 3" 200lb so I'm hoping it's not too big. That seller had 4 left before I bought 1.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Picked up an XL for $126 shipped. I'm 6' 3" 200lb so I'm hoping it's not too big. That seller had 4 left before I bought 1.
View Quote

From what I remember of the size chart XL is for chests over 54". I'm a bit bigger than your size and the lg mostly fits me (technically I'd need a lg/long but I don't see those anywhere).

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I did a test on an old khaki boonie hat. It got turned purple lol. My plan is to now get some tan or maybe taupe and try again.
View Quote

Ha - wow. I figured it would do something wonky like that.
I know RIT makes a Taupe and another tan color called 'Camel' (iirc)

Taupe definitely resulted in a nice brown for me. I think I added a capful of dark brown to my mixture, but maybe even that was too much.
Also, try and grab a few cheap khaki pouches off eBay to test dye before you do the carrier, the nylon will take the dye differently than the poly/cotton hat did.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#20]
where would one find all the accessories for these carriers for reasonable ?

id like a few at that price or close but i want the completed matching parts/condition set or an easy (one stop shop) and affordable way to acquire the rest of the parts, neck protector etc. ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
From what I remember of the size chart XL is for chests over 54". I'm a bit bigger than your size and the lg mostly fits me (technically I'd need a lg/long but I don't see those anywhere).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The sizing chart said 45"+ and the SKD Tactical review of the RBAV-AF said for an XL sized platform, it could be adjusted to fit someone 6’1”, 310lbs with a 52” chest. It could probably fit somebody with a 54" chest, but that would be at max adjustment. It'll probably be fine at the smallest adjustment (or larger) for him. I've got a very wide chest and broad shoulders so it's great for me.

BAE's size chart is as follows:

Small: Torso Height 13.5" - Chest up to 37"  

Medium: Torso Height 14.5" - Chest 37" - 41"

Large: Torso Height 15.5" - Chest 41" - 45"

X-Large: Torso Height 16" - Chest 45"+

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:45:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
where would one find all the accessories for these carriers for reasonable ?
id like a few at that price or close but i want the completed matching parts/condition set or an easy (one stop shop) and affordable way to acquire the rest of the parts, neck protector etc. ?
View Quote
No idea where you would find the neck protector. I've done a little searching since I thought it would be interesting to have but I haven't found one  anywhere. I've seen deltoid and groin protectors around though.

As for pouches, I have a love for Coyote Brown gear (hence why I want to dye the carrier) so I've been buying a bunch of USMC surplus gear on Ebay, Tactical Tailor mag pouches, and a Condor admin panel. The prices are EXTREMELY reasonable for what you get with the surplus gear. It's the real deal not airsoft shit but is often cheaper than airsoft shit.
Eagle Industries frag grenade pouches (I have 2 for my Kelty Falcon rucksack and an extra 3 for the RBAV) @ $4-$5 each. Great for holding a compass, GPS, multi tool, single AA flashlight, etc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400980351548?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Like new IFAK pouches @ $9 each (put one on my rucksack too). These appear to be coated on the inside to make them water proof/resistant (water can obviously still get in through the flap or drain hole if submerged).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221752039016?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=520597338072&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
BAE dump pouch @ $22 shipped. Has the drawstring cord and it rolls up. Tactical Tailor makes a good one too but it's smaller (and lighter) and I don't think it has the drawstring to secure whatever is in the pouch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281788055569?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
100 round SAW pouches @ $25 for a pair
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-MOLLE-II-100-Round-Saw-Gunner-Pouch-Coyote-Brown-IFAK-Genuine-US-Issue-/290993799691?hash=item43c095020b
Tactical Tailor fight light 3 mag shingle @ $23. Fits perfectly on the cummerbund. There are also USMC triple mag shingles on Ebay but they use snaps to secure the mags and I wanted shock cord:
http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Tailor-30-Round-Triple-MultiCam/dp/B00EMG40AE/
Tactical Tailor fight light 1 mag shingle @ $14 for an extra mag to place to the side of the triple mag pouch:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EMG3YTM/
Condor admin panel @ $13. I wanted the tactical tailor one but didn't feel like paying $28 shipped vs $14. Maybe I'll change my mind one day, but the Condor admin panel seems solid enough for what it is:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082CW39E/
I'm thinking of picking up these as well:
ILBE/FILBE Hydration Pouch @ $15. Use it for an appropriately sized
hydration bladder or use it for storage on your back. Might get a couple
more of these to put on the side of my ruck sack as well. You don't actually need a hydration pouch if you have some something to protect a bladder already like an insulator or a bladder sack. I stuck my old Camelbak that had a harness (I cut it off and melted the ends) in the rear pocket and it works/fits great. I might want the option of a large storage pouch on the rear though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261904734917?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
200 round SAW pouch @ $13 shipped. This is a fairly large pouch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-1-Military-200-Round-Coyote-Molle-Saw-Ammo-Pouch-NSN-8465-01-532-2399-/400976397016?hash=item5d5c0e42d8
Also considering one of these to mount a bladder externally, but it's not a real need since my Camelbak works fine in the rear large pocket of the carrier, but they are super cheap and tons of them made by different gov't contractors are all over Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USMC-Military-WXP-3L-100oz-Hydration-Carrier-Backpack-Camelbak-ILBE-Coyote-1Z-VG-/171494086736?hash=item27edd81850
Another option you may want to look at are Eagle side plate carriers @ $8.50 per 2 (less for one on Ebay dunno about shipping though). They can be purchased on Ebay or Amazon cheap. I have two on the sides of my rucksack for pockets to put stuff in or to secure a buttstock, but I don't really need one for the RBAV though one would make an alright makeshift admin panel though you may see another use for them. They are made for inserting plates so they don't expand a whole lot though:

http://www.amazon.com/Military-MOLLE-Utility-Pocket-Coyote/dp/B00BJ4EH5K/
If you want Velcro closure double mag pouches (single wide):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-US-Military-Molle-Single-Double-Mag-Pouch-Coyote-USMC-Dbl-Magazine/161642262710
Obviously none of the pouches I listed use zippers which are preferable, but they are still a steal for quality PALS/MOLLE gear. These are just some options of course. I plan to most likely only put the triple and single mag pouches, two (maybe three) frag pouches, 100 round saw pouch (storage), IFAK pouch (maybe replace with a better commercial IFAK pouch later), dump pouch, and admin panel on it with my Camelbak in the rear compartment.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Taupe definitely resulted in a nice brown for me. I think I added a capful of dark brown to my mixture, but maybe even that was too much.

Also, try and grab a few cheap khaki pouches off eBay to test dye before you do the carrier, the nylon will take the dye differently than the poly/cotton hat did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I picked up a bottle of tan that I plan to try out this weekend. I think I'm only going to use half the bottle this time since it really only needs to get a little browned to get it where I want it (the khaki color isn't really all that far off already it's just more green than brown). Wish me luck!

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Went ahead and did the dye job with the tan dye. I used a 5 gallon homer bucket, about 3.5-4 gallons of scalding hot water, a bit over a cup of vinegar and did a test with the shoulder pads first for just over 5 minutes. They came out a brown/green which isn't quite coyote brown (didn't really expect to get a color match), but it's close enough and better than the regular "khaki" color. So  Got the pieces air drying with a fan blowing on them after rinsing them in the shower now over my shower curtain (removed the curtain). Did these for maybe 4 minutes 30 seconds all together constantly stirring and agitating. I might try hitting them with taupe for a minute or two later on to brown them more, but this is a huge improvement IMO. I did not place the elastic belly band/cummerbund in the dye mix as it's unnecessary and it would probably screw with the elastic property of it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I threw it back in the dye for another 10 minutes after heating it back up to near boiling with a tiny bit of dark brown added that was left over in the bottle from the previous batch of dye I whipped up that I decided not to use. It's a fair bit browner now, but it's still got a green tint to it. I think I'm going to get another bottle of dark brown and add a bit of it to what's left of the tan in my bucket and heat it up again and try again in the near future. In lower light it looks fairly brown and in direct light you can see a green hint to it. Tactical Tailor coyote brown mag pouch is on top of it in this picture after it had fully dried.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The sizing chart said 45"+ and the SKD Tactical review of the RBAV-AF said for an XL sized platform, it could be adjusted to fit someone 6’1”, 310lbs with a 52” chest. It could probably fit somebody with a 54" chest, but that would be at max adjustment. It'll probably be fine at the smallest adjustment (or larger) for him. I've got a very wide chest and broad shoulders so it's great for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad, I meant 45". Anyhow thanks for correcting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Jesus ALIEN  :)

i think just about everything you posted would work well with this PC..ill keep looking for the neck protector and will post here if i find them..i think im in for a few of these unless someone has an ebay link to the complete set up in the same price range..

thanks Bro !

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:42:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Jesus ALIEN  :)
i think just about everything you posted would work well with this PC..ill keep looking for the neck protector and will post here if i find them..i think im in for a few of these unless someone has an ebay link to the complete set up in the same price range..
thanks Bro !
View Quote
Entry Gear has CIRAS neck protectors (without kevlar inserts) for a reasonable price. They would probably work with the RBAV but they don't have the front (yoke) part. I want the complete collar and yoke setup. If you find a place that has them, don't hesitate to post where you can find them!
https://www.entrygear.com/product.asp?id=EAG-BC-STL

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Just bought the second to last one.  Great deal.  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#30]
So I wound up dyeing it one last time with Rit Camel and Rit Dark Brown. Having previously used Rit Tan for maybe 18-20 minutes, this time I used 2/3 of a cup of Camel and 1/3 of a cup of Dark Brown mixed with 1 cup of vinegar in a homer bucket filled about 3/4 of the way and then rinsed it out 3 times. It came out as well as I could have expected. It's a tad bit darker than coyote brown, but the color is pretty awesome now and is a clear cut brown. If I had to do it again I might have done either 2/3 or 1/2 of a cup of camel and 1/4 of a cup of dark brown, but it is close enough to what I was aiming for and it's a nice brown color.

Quoted:

Just bought the second to last one.  Great deal.  Thanks for the heads up.
View Quote
No problem!

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#31]
That looks great.  That's about what I'm hoping for after my dye job.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That looks great.  That's about what I'm hoping for after my dye job.
View Quote

Just remember you can always go darker.  It may seem like a pain because it is, but I'd dye for 5 minute duration then air dry with a fan for a few hours to see the result. The tan was a lighter color so it didn't change the color as much as fast. The camel and dark brown mix seemed to affect it much faster, probably because they're both darker colors.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I received mine today.  What a deal!  For the money this is great,  I set it up for now with some USGI single/double mag pouches and some pouches I had sitting around.  What and improvement over my HSGI Weesatch.  With near full load and both plates its carries the weight so much better.  I'm not sure I'm even going to try and dye it.   The color isn't too far off of the coyote patches I put on it.  We'll see how it looks in the sun tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I picked up one of these too.  Anyone know what the clips on the inside front are for?  

Great gear for the money.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I picked up one of these too.  Anyone know what the clips on the inside front are for?  

Great gear for the money.
View Quote

attaching MSAP accessories
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#36]
That looks great. My biggest gripe with coyote brown is that its to light for thick woods. That brown looks perfect.

I played around with some dark brown die and a 3 colored desert flc with pouches and it darken up perfectly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top