Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2015 2:05:28 PM EDT
Thought I'd get some good advice on this here ...

I'm putting together a battle belt. (XL VTAC cobra belt with L VTAC Brokos belt)  I can't decide which HSGI tacos to go with based on my size. I'll be using the battle belt sizes listed. I'm 6'00" 180 lbs with a 34-36" waist in my trouser size. With the amount of "space" I have to attach stuff to my belt around my torso  I cant decide whether to run 2 double stack tacos or 2 pistol tacos along with 2 rifle mag tacos. I will be using the brokos belt in conjuntion with a plate carrier in a SHTF scenario. For classes, etc. just the belt and maybe a chest rig. So  I'm not concerned with not having enough ammo on me.

I like the streamline configuration of running the separate tacos. It willl also be more familiar with muscle memory for reloads. However, I don't have a ton of space on my belt and the double stack will conserve real estate but I'm concerned with a new platform from which to do a reload that is new.

The other gear on the belt will be a dump pouch at the 7:00-8:00 position. A holster for pistol at 3:00. An IFAK w' tournaquit . One or two more single pistol tacos for a light, multitool. etc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I prefer to keep everything a single layer deep everywhere (belt, chest rig, or plate carrier.) I like everything slim and trim- no double stacks for me.
Grabbing the magazine also seems faster that way- no worries about accidentally grabbing two, or extracting one and accidentally dumping the second one on the dirt.

I don't how they guys with 4 mags double-stacked on their belts can tolerate it
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally, I prefer to keep everything a single layer deep everywhere (belt, chest rig, or plate carrier.) I like everything slim and trim- no double stacks for me.
Grabbing the magazine also seems faster that way- no worries about accidentally grabbing two, or extracting one and accidentally dumping the second one on the dirt.

View Quote

agree
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

agree
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agree

Thanks ... that's the way I was leaning also.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll play devil's advocate.

I'm not a fan of double rifle tacos for a warbelt but I do run 2x rifle/pistol combo. It really doesn't add that much bulk (think about how much bulk a pistol mag is) and real estate as you mentioned is a problem, especially if you plan on not having anything on the backside of the belt. I can appreciate a nice streamlined belt but I don't see how it's very streamlined when you have an IFAK hanging here, a dump pouch hanging there, etc.

Just my 2c
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I had 3 pistol/rifle tacos on my hsgi suregrip belt. Now I dont. I much prefer it now only one mag deep.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to hear. I was just considering this myself
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you thought about the HSGI Double Decker?  I use these on my belt: They save space and don't weigh to much fully loaded (unlike the double rifle mag taco)

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]
XL sized warbelt = single deep rifle mags to keep slimmest profile. For skinnier guys I suggest at least the double decker because with size small or medium warbelts the usable space for mags on the beltline is very limited.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you thought about the HSGI Double Decker?  I use these on my belt: They save space and don't weigh to much fully loaded (unlike the double rifle mag taco)

http://i.imgur.com/wP1FDZQ.jpg
View Quote

After your post I went back and re-read my original question. I used the wrong terminology. I said double stack when I meant to say double decker. The ones fromHSGI you have in your pic.

I'm trying to decide between 2 pistol tacos and 2 rifle tacos. Vs 2 "double deckers".

Sorry about the confusion.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#10]
No worries... I'm a geardo not a grammar nazi

Here's my experiences and notes with the double decker tacos set up as opposed to a single stack setup:
-When running a streamlined setup, using separated 2x pistol mags and 2x rifle mags, it took up too much real-estate on my belt. This placed my pistol mags at a 10-11 o'clock position and the chest rig would interfere with my draw from the pouch. AR mag draws were not affected.
-When using the the double decker it gave me more space to draw pistol mags. With the space I saved on the belt I was able to mount them at a rough 8-9 o'clock position. The chest rig would not interfere with pistol mag draw or AR mag draws.
-I've experienced no issues using the double decker as a pistol mag only config.
-Drawing AR mags from a belt with a plate carrier isn't very convenient but the pistol mags work fine with the double decker.
-If you're doing veh or aircrew and have to sit for a period of time (I did 6-8 hours on flight), the mags stick out a tad and isn't very comfortable. A chest rig with a holster was the best option for confined spaces. A shoulder holster would have been the best option but then I wouldn't have an excuse to buy range gear haha.

Hope this helps!

Quoted:

After your post I went back and re-read my original question. I used the wrong terminology. I said double stack when I meant to say double decker. The ones fromHSGI you have in your pic.

I'm trying to decide between 2 pistol tacos and 2 rifle tacos. Vs 2 "double deckers".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:34:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

How stable are those if you use a rifle mag but still have the pistol mag in it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I much prefer my pistol mags at 10/11 oclock. The belt padding holds the mags far enough out that my armor doesnt interfere. Infact I think my armor is high enough that the bottom of the magazine doesnt touch the bottom of my armor when I withdraw them.

Ill wear an interceptor sometimes and it does come down farther on my stomach  but doesnt interfere with magazines. My belt has 3pistol tacos and 1 rifle taco and its maybe my 10th rendition and my favorite by far

Also, a double decker taco is  stillpretty rigid when the rifle mag is withdrawn with a pistol mag still in place
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I went the double decker route and wish I hadn't. It took some time to get used to drawing without grabbing both or dumping one of the mags.

Unfortunately my setup is in HSGI urban gray so finding replacement pouches is a PITA.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#14]
The DDT is my favorite and I have 2-3 on each platform with 1-2 PTaco. This keeps all surfaces slim as possible and I have not had any issues but, I am pretty sure my trigger time is no where near anyone here.

jcast141 -  if you call in to the shop I might be able to help you out. Even though you might not see a color/product listed we do have stock in the back.

ask for Jason

JBT
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't stand tacos

I'd choose singles over doubles
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I have some random pistol mag pouch attached to the front of my rifle taco. While doing my pistol training I pulled a rifle magazine instead of a pistol mag. That is going to change. Pistol mags will always be seperate from rifle mags from now on for me. I'll rearrange gear rather than compromise that. I have considerably less real estate, small belt 5'10, 150lbs.

I also hate anything other than one layer. Single mag pouches on belt and armor.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can't stand tacos

I'd choose singles over doubles
View Quote

I agree they're not ideal.  On my simple pistol belt, as a home defense role, I have a Esstac Kywi 2x pistol pouch and an RTI hanger so I can switch my holster between the pistol belt and war belt.  However, the War Belt was built with intentions of running both AK and AR mags, pistol mags, holster, and storage for range accessories (IFAK, gloves, ear plugs, AR Multi-tool, flashlight, and dump pouch).
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Sorry for the crappy photo; all I have at the moment.

I would really recommend the double Deckers, but space them apart one band with another single pistol taco. That way you can easily grab and Admin fill your rifle taco easily.

I modeled mine on the belt after the Costa Ludus leg rig setup. It's great to keep everything up front, while still well spaced and lower profile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top