Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2015 2:34:17 PM EDT

Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a complete web gear set, and I need some advice. I already have pretty well planned-out what I want on there, and what I want to do, but I am on the fence about whether to deploy an ALICE pistol belt with suspenders AND a Tactical Tailor chest rig (MAV Body 1 Piece), which seems like a good solution to hold all the gear I want, or just the pistol belt. What worries me is that having that many shoulder straps (H or Y suspenders for pistol belt and chest rig straps) would be too much and get in the way of me shouldering and carrying a rifle well.

For the last few years I have done hunting, 3-gun, and NRA High Power wearing a UTG tactical vest with four single-magazine pouches; a pistol belt (attaches integrally to the vest) with my Glock 21 in a Bianchi M12 holster with thumb-break retention and my M9 bayonet attached; and a hunting waist pack containing my other supplies like compass, fire-starting gear, gambrel, water, and field-dressing bag.

This vest, however, gets very hot down here in the South when it is summer, it has to be adjusted when I wear more clothes in the winter, and I also cannot carry and easily access as much stuff as I would like with it. I love the idea of having something like just a duty belt with suspenders to hold my gear, and if I can, I'd like to keep it to that. However, I want to carry as much ammunition as possible, and that is where the Tactical Tailor chest rig would come in.

What I want to carry on my belt, and chest rig if necessary, are:

- 8 to 16 standard magazines for my, you guessed it, AR-10 (I really like the Condor Tactical MA63 4-magazine pouches, which take a little less than 7 inches of web or belt space);

- M9 bayonet and scabbard, preferably on my right side;

- Glock 21 in Bianchi M12 holster;

- 1 to 3 magazines for my Glock;

- 1 Rothco GI Butt/Waist Pack (8-9 inches wide); and

- 1 standard-size canteen (there is a purifying 1qt one that is my favorite in case I have to refill it in the field).

A few particulars about my requirements: I carry my rifles on Viking Tactics Mk. II 2-point tactical slings over the shoulder of my shooting arm (right-handed) and under the armpit of my support arm. It allows me to still transition to the left shoulder (which I've done on more than a few deer successfully), but most importantly lets me carry the rifle hands-free in front of me, or flip it over my shoulder when I need to have a clear workspace in front. To that end, a standard backpack is out, as is anything that attaches to my upper or middle back.

I therefore will carry food, firestarting equipment, camping gear, etc., in a waist pack. I love the ALICE pistol belt setup for that, because the Rothco butt pack can fit all the survival gear I won't need to immediately access, while staying off my back so I can sling the rifle there easily.

I am obviously hoping I can fit my whole kit on a standard ALICE pistol belt (I'm a paracord wizard, so the MOLLE pouches will go on that belt no sweat), but being 6' 1" with a 34-36" waist (depending on how stressful work is), I am afraid that I cannot, and will need a chest rig as well. I really love the looks anc reviews of the Tactical Tailor model, and with it I could carry as many as 16 magazines (I have a VERY ample supply of both 20-round and 25-round ArmaLite Gen II mags) for my rifle.

My main worry on this, though, is simply that having the shoulder straps for both the chest rig and ALICE suspenders would cause them to push one another off my shoulders, prevent me from slinging my rifle the way I like, and get in the way of effective shouldering and firing of my rifle.

Also, I am a real newcomer to the idea of modular web gear setups, so any suggestions from ya'll more experienced folks would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Chest rig over LBE? Very early-70's LRRP.

I ask you this: if you've got on a set of Alice suspenders, then a chest rig over that, how do you access the plethora of items in your buttpack?
You remove the chest rig, then remove the entire Alice setup, leaving you with nothing on your person.

Are you familiar with the 1st/2nd/3rd Line approach?
A belt with pistol/knife/essentials. I'd go for some wide-but-thin low-profile suspenders (IE ones without metal hardware like ALICE gear)
LBE or chest rig with rifle ammo and some other fighting-related paraphernalia
Backpack containing your long-term sustenance gear

M9 bayonet, Glock 21, and 10+ mags (7.26, to boot)???
You're a glutton for punishment, friend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you running LRRP ops that you need 16 mags of 7.62?  That is a lot of weight, especially on a chest rig.  The M9 bayonet is also big, clumsy and heavy.  Instead of that, find yourself a nice small utility fixed blade (Mora, RAT, etc).  Aside from that you should probably do some more research on how much you want to carry your gear.  I know you say no backpack, but in reality you should only have/need ammo, IFAK, water, and maybe a small utility pouch for small various sundries.  Extra ammo (more that 8 mags worth), food, and other snivel gear should go in a pack.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a USGI surplus MOLLE belt with suspenders for my 1st line and a TT Flight Light Mini-MAV for my 2nd line. While it's a good bit of strap material over my shoulders, none of them are very thick, so they're not uncomfortable. Having worn both H- and Y- suspenders during my days as an 11B, I can tell you that since they are significantly thicker, they will be much more noticeable and uncomfortable.

For the record, this is the belt and suspender combo I use.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What I want to carry on my belt, and chest rig if necessary, are:

- 8 to 16 standard magazines for my, you guessed it, AR-10 (I really like the Condor Tactical MA63 4-magazine pouches, which take a little less than 7 inches of web or belt space);

- M9 bayonet and scabbard, preferably on my right side;

- Glock 21 in Bianchi M12 holster;

- 1 to 3 magazines for my Glock;

- 1 Rothco GI Butt/Waist Pack (8-9 inches wide); and

- 1 standard-size canteen (there is a purifying 1qt one that is my favorite in case I have to refill it in the field).

View Quote

8-16 mags....try sticking with 6 on the kit, 1 in the gun, and the rest in an assault pack/backpack.  

M9 bayonet, why? No seriously, I really want to hear this one...

M12 holster...ok I guess, not super fast but probably the most protective you'll find.

1-3 G21 mags, sounds fine with me

buttpack....dump it and get a small backpack.  Far more versatile and carries a load better.

GI Canteen....forget that use a camelbak in your backpack.  If you insist upon using a bottle, buy a nalgeen bottle.

JMHO but you're trying to carry to much in the wrong sort of way
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing wrong with multiple sets of shoulder straps as long as they're nice and smooth.

As has been pointed out though, you've got no chance of accessing the butt-pack. A little backpack is a better bet (even though that's now three pairs of shoulder straps).
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with multiple sets of shoulder straps as long as they're nice and smooth.

As has been pointed out though, you've got no chance of accessing the butt-pack. A little backpack is a better bet (even though that's now three pairs of shoulder straps).
View Quote

Its not that big of a deal. Its pretty easy to slip one arm out, spin it in fron of you, get your chow, face paint, matches etc. For a patrol rig alice gear isnt bad, especially in the jungle.

I used an ALICE set up in the early 2000s as a Marine infantryman as it was easier to set up for my SAW then the flc
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its not that big of a deal. Its pretty easy to slip one arm out, spin it in fron of you, get your chow, face paint, matches etc. For a patrol rig alice gear isnt bad, especially in the jungle.

I used an ALICE set up in the early 2000s as a Marine infantryman as it was easier to set up for my SAW then the flc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op wants to do that with a chestrig over the top. Getting your arm out is nigh impossible then.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL, you're going to carry 16 mags of 7.62 on your chest rig? Good luck. The subsequent chapter of your life will be called "Funding all the beer my chiroprator's kid is gonna drink in college"

Your sling isn't compatible with wearing a backpack or ruck? You're doing something wrong, and it is probably your sling adjustment. Get a pack that can hold your survival gear and extra ammo.

Condor makes mediocre shit.

Your belt and holster rig sucks.

Since you're struggling, let me help you out a little. You want one of these, two of these and for whatever reason you actually do need to carry a second and third basic load, that goes in your pack. The MAV is a good place for a canteen though. Throw the canteen in a USGI molle pouch or something similar. I would put the bayonet in a MOLLE scabbard on the other side for balance.

As for the pistol, I would get a better modern holster like a Safariland ALS and some single pouches that go on a riggers belt, the same one that holds your pants up. That and a good riggers belt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Op wants to do that with a chestrig over the top. Getting your arm out is nigh impossible then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant to add that an added chest rig would not be my cup o tea
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#11]
my setup is a SFLCS MOLLE belt with the suspenders (much lower profile than the ALICE ones), with a plate carrier over it which could easily be subbed out for a chest rig or LBV.

this sort of looks like a cool setup
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
my setup is a SFLCS MOLLE belt with the suspenders (much lower profile than the ALICE ones), with a plate carrier over it which could easily be subbed out for a chest rig or LBV.

View Quote

Very British
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They specifically call it a jungle kit but then have a huge panel in the back and a super wide belt. Id much rather have and actual h harness and pistol belt then that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They specifically call it a jungle kit but then have a huge panel in the back and a super wide belt. Id much rather have and actual h harness and pistol belt then that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. I thought the point of jungle kit was to have less bodily contact.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Years ago I rocked a BH chest rig along with a LBE ,better way to carry mags than Alice pouches.
Worked OK, but found that LBE on top was much more comfortable.

Older we get the less stuff we carry. I use a very minimalist set up these days.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

More like "the more experienced we get, the less we carry".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Years ago I rocked a BH chest rig along with a LBE ,better way to carry mags than Alice pouches.
Worked OK, but found that LBE on top was much more comfortable.

Older we get the less stuff we carry. I use a very minimalist set up these days.

More like "the more experienced we get, the less we carry".

Ain't that the truth! I have gone plumb minimalist since Afghanistan. Some of the guys on here would shit if they saw me back then working the roads in my Old Navy cargo shorts, chest rig and tactical flip flops.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been known to use a belt kit (with suspenders) under a chest rig or plate carrier. It's fine with the right suspenders but you have to make sure that there's nothing on the back you really need. I normally stick a tear-off IFAK and a utility pouch with a short fat hydration pouch in it back there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've been known to use a belt kit (with suspenders) under a chest rig or plate carrier. It's fine with the right suspenders but you have to make sure that there's nothing on the back you really need. I normally stick a tear-off IFAK and a utility pouch with a short fat hydration pouch in it back there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, I was specifically talking about a chest rig over alice h or y harness straps with a full rifleman magazine loadout on the belt.

My current go to set up is my hsgi warbelt with super low profile suspenders. They're really just in case I need to take a shit. I can then wear my armor(hard or soft) over those straps and a chest rig with just ammo or a split front mav with ammo, water, binos, misc field gear over the armor, or without it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I think we hurt the OP's feelings....would have expected some sort of a response by now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#22]
read me

Start here one of our very own members has a pretty good write up on such things.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think we hurt the OP's feelings....would have expected some sort of a response by now.
View Quote

I think so, too....but who in the hell runs 8 to 16, you guessed it, AR-10 magazines? I was at a loss for words from that point on, and couldn't think of anything really positive to say.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, if you actually really need or want to carry that many AR-10 magazines, you might consider an old BAR belt.

Personally I'd get a modern padded MOLLE belt, modern suspenders, and modern mag pouches and build a (you guessed it) modern version of exactly what you're talking about.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I understand that you may want to carry as much ammo and gear as possible. That is how most people start out when they get into gear. Most people start with gear with 15 rifle mags, 6 pistol mags, a camelback, 2 1 qt canteens,  a pouch for 25 shotgun shells, an e-tool, tomahawk, 2 knives and a shotgun scabbard. However when those people actually try that gear on and use it for more than 5 minutes they realize it is too much. Eventually these people then cut back to 6 rifle magazines, 2 or 3 pistol mags, and a pouch to hold misc gear.

If you are sure you want that much ammo then i'd suggest an ALICE belt or a MOLLE belt and adding pouches to hold 8 rifle magazines, 3 pistol magazines, holster and knife. If you find you can handle this easily after being active while wearing it for 2 or 3 hours in atleast 80 degree weather, then i'd look into adding more ammo and gear. Most likely that will be too much and it'll take time to get used to wearing the gear.

I'd suggest putting the whatever rig you decide on getting on and wearing it for an hour a day for a week and doing burpees and jumping jacks for the last 5 or 10 minutes of wearing it. As for the idea of a buttpack i'd suggest just using a small pack instead. You can get to the stuff in the pack easier and faster than if it were in a buttpack. I've tried buttpacks for awhile and found that I prefer a small pack.

As for canteens, you could try 1 on the belt and see how you like it. Another option is a camelback/hydro carrier in a small pack.
If you are in a hot area and use this gear often then going lighter weight and with less bulk will be much better. Most of use will never need a gun to defend ourselves. Most of those who do won't need their gear. So 6 spare rifle and 2 spare pistol magazines is a fair amount. If you aren't comfortable with that amount of ammo, then look into higher capacity options like AR's, AK's etc and 9mm full sized handguns. With the .308 and .45 pair it makes it harder to carry the same amount of ammo as 5.56 and 9 simply because of smaller cap mags and heavier ammo.

If you are stuck with or feel you need .308 and .45 then the fact of the matter is you will carry less ammo for the same or even more space used and weight. That's just the nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I think it's interesting to point out that BAR men in The War and Korea frequently carried 13 20 round mags of old .30.  Of course, the rest of their gear was a canteen and maybe a blanket.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think it's interesting to point out that BAR men in The War and Korea frequently carried 13 20 round mags of old .30.  Of course, the rest of their gear was a canteen and maybe a blanket.
View Quote

I generally carried 6-800 rds for my SAW. 2-3 200 round belts and 2 100 round nuttsacks. Plus a lot more then a canteen and a blanket. Fortunatly our poncho liners are a lot lighter then their wool blankets
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#28]
All it takes is one two week dismounted mission to figure out exactly what the fuck you don't need.

Things I love.

Warbelt/Modern LBV with a small pack.
Minimalist Chest Rig for a medium/large pack.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All it takes is one two week dismounted mission to figure out exactly what the fuck you don't need.

Things I love.

Warbelt/Modern LBV with a small pack.
Minimalist Chest Rig for a medium/large pack.

View Quote

The thing about the army was they were contsantly telling me that I needed to carry a million things more than what I figured out I needed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I generally carried 6-800 rds for my SAW. 2-3 200 round belts and 2 100 round nuttsacks. Plus a lot more then a canteen and a blanket. Fortunatly our poncho liners are a lot lighter then their wool blankets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My service predated nut sacks.  I had to suffer the rattling plastic boxes.  In training I frequently broke the ammo up into 50 round belts.

Poncho liner = Glory.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok ok.... Though I doubt OP is still hanging around here.
Here's what I'd do - Alice pistol belt stays, with the pistol, pistol mags, your canteen, and knife. I'd get a better holster than the M12, but it's workable. M9 bayonet is way out, I'd opt for a smaller knife (Short KaBar fit your style? Why the bayonet?)
Chest rig can carry the 308 mags. No more than 6. (no first aid stuff? 'Cause I'd put it here)
Replace the buttpack with a backpack. Not even a 3-day pack, something smaller. Stuff it with the rest of your mags and ancillary gear. (do GI 6-mag gondoliers carry 7.62 mags well?)

I don't know why I typed this out, everyone else covered it in depth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top