Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 5:29:55 PM EDT
Just curious what peoples thoughts are on wearing battle belts with soft armor inserts.

Obviously its expensive, but assuming cost is of no concern is it worth adding the extra weight to your gear for the added protection or do most people consider it useless, after all it only stops pistols and fragments and only protect your back and sides leaving your front exposed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It's your money, but I think it's a waste.  Limited potential protection.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't consider the added protection worth the additional cost. I have a plate carrier, which protects the vitals, but I don't see a particular gain to be had with an armored belt.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Its really to protect against frag.  I don't see it being very beneficial in the civ world
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#4]
i doubt I would invest in one, but anyone in SHTF that got shot in the hip with a good pistol round would sure as shit wish they had. I mean, you're pretty much ****ed with a busted hip. All you're doing is laying on the ground in pain waiting for some POS to come over and shoot you in the face.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one and love it. It adds extra space for what ever misc pouches you want to carry. The extra weight that it adds is not really noticed due to it being destributed over your hips. The extra level of ballistic  protection is just an added bonus. They aren't for everyone, but they are an easy way to scale up or down in ballistic protection.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a waste of money unless your job is to seek the enemy and destroy them....such as Afghanistan. Never know when you could catch some frag to the waist.

For a weekend warrior who likes to close with, and destroy paper, it's just money down the drain.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever floats your boat. I look at weight to benefit ratio. Do you want the added weight and what you'll use it for. In the end it's your $.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:For a weekend warrior who likes to close with, and destroy paper, it's just money down the drain.
View Quote

maybe, but couldn't you say that about any gun/ammo/gear if you go through life and never find yourself getting shot at?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a Blue Force SOC-C war belt kit, which includes suspenders.   https://www.blueforcegear.com/soc-c-modular-padded-belt-kit.html I also have the optional armor inserts, which replace the OEM standard foam inserts.  If you wish to add the armor inserts, contact BFG.  The added weight is negligible, IMHO.  It's nice to have choices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one and love it. It adds extra space for what ever misc pouches you want to carry. The extra weight that it adds is not really noticed due to it being destributed over your hips. The extra level of ballistic  protection is just an added bonus. They aren't for everyone, but they are an easy way to scale up or down in ballistic protection.

I have a Blue Force SOC-C war belt kit, which includes suspenders.   https://www.blueforcegear.com/soc-c-modular-padded-belt-kit.html I also have the optional armor inserts, which replace the OEM standard foam inserts.  If you wish to add the armor inserts, contact BFG.  The added weight is negligible, IMHO.  It's nice to have choices.

They don't have the armor inserts anymore, they were discontinued a year or so ago according to my sales guy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
you are going to do what you want to, but i think its a waste imho.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Too bad.  I must have gotten lucky.  I bought the belt kit, on sale, and asked the sales rep--over the phone- if they could add-in the armor inserts at the sale price.  To my surprise, and delight, they agreed.
For some reason, I've always found the folks at BFG very easy to deal with on the phone, but truth be told, I do better on the phone with almost any vendor than I do via e-mail.  But BFG still stands out. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't have the armor inserts anymore, they were discontinued a year or so ago according to my sales guy.

Too bad.  I must have gotten lucky.  I bought the belt kit, on sale, and asked the sales rep--over the phone- if they could add-in the armor inserts at the sale price.  To my surprise, and delight, they agreed.
For some reason, I've always found the folks at BFG very easy to deal with on the phone, but truth be told, I do better on the phone with almost any vendor than I do via e-mail.  But BFG still stands out. YMMV.

A company would do well to emulate BFG's customer service.

How do you like the SOC-C belt?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#15]
My questions have been answered. I despise suspenders, so it's probably good that I went with the HSGI.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Just to add my two cents on the thread tangent (sorry OP!), I have a BFG SOC-C and am in the process of switching to/trying out an HSG. I loved the SOC-C but I found that the belt rolls a bit when it's fully loaded. I tried to order the armor inserts since I've heard they increase the rigidity, but like the poster above mentioned, they are no longer available. If I don't love the HSG belt, I may search out some sort of stiff foam or poly and see if I can improve the SOC-C.

Back to the original question, I doubt most people need belt armor, but I also doubt most of us are going to be using our belts anywhere beyond class and competition. Armor can't hurt and if you can afford it, why not?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any belt can be stiffened by inserting (preferably as a single piece) an insert, cut as wide as the belt allows.  Usually made of 1/16" black HDPE sheeting, which is available from Grainger's or on amazon, I'm told.  Buy more than you think you will need, both to cover for mistakes, and since it is also ideal for pack frame sheets and so forth.  An important point to remember is that the finished product should have rounded corners, and all edges should be sanded/filed smooth, lest the plastic poke or abrade a hole in the nylon of the item into which it is being installed.  I find metal snips, or much better, aviation snips make quick cutting; forget about using even the stoutest household scissors.

A well-done insert can make even a Condor belt, notorious for roll-over, much better in that regard, and turn it from a mistake into something at least useful--and potentially sellable.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. I'm off to Amazon to see what sort of sheeting they have!

Maybe I'll end up with two solid belts - lord knows I have enough different pouches and mag holders to equip every inch of an acre of Molle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I heard they weren't as popular as expected and sales on it had dropped so they cut it.  I bought the last set produced just for shiggles honestly.  I'm sure you've noticed it but I really like the way it stiffens everything and kinda "hugs" you for lack of a better word.  BFG is great CS wise, always have been with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top