Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 5:06:04 PM EDT
I need to get a pair of earmuffs for the range/SHTF. Before I was using simple earbuds for the range, but always wanted to get a pair of earmuffs.
What is a good brand of earmuffs I should look into? I would preferred to get one in Multicam and around $30-45.00 if possible.

Thanks,
Austin C.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Howard Leight Impact Sports will probably be the best option within your price range.

As for the multicam, you'll have to get some kind of headset wrap.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Peltor 100 tactical

I picked mine up on sale for $50.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The one thing that I have noticed between the Howard Leight's and the Peltor's is that the Peltor's go through batteries a lot faster.  Working as an RSO, we had a guy that was using Peltor's(I don't remember the model I'll try to find out) that was using a set of batteries a day.  Most of us were using Howard Leight's and we were getting a good 2-3 months for the guys that were working 6 days a week and ear pro on the whole time with a headset input for radios in the headset while working.  Mine have been good for almost a year of getting used every weekend in my Howard Leight Impact Sports.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one thing that I have noticed between the Howard Leight's and the Peltor's is that the Peltor's go through batteries a lot faster.  Working as an RSO, we had a guy that was using Peltor's(I don't remember the model I'll try to find out) that was using a set of batteries a day.  Most of us were using Howard Leight's and we were getting a good 2-3 months for the guys that were working 6 days a week and ear pro on the whole time with a headset input for radios in the headset while working.  Mine have been good for almost a year of getting used every weekend in my Howard Leight Impact Sports.
View Quote

Not sure what model peltors he was using, but chances are there is something wrong with them.
I use a set of peltor swat-tacs, and my older gen 1 comtacs were given to the wife. I am a firearms instructor so when I get to the range in the morning, the molded inners go in and the muffs go over with the volume turned up all the way. I can get through a 3 week qual on one set of batteries with no problem and most times even make it through a second run a month later. Thats 5 days a week with my set on for 8 hours with a 30 min break in the middle of the day. Many of the other instructors use the peltor 6's and have no issues running them for weeks at a time with out the batteries dying...

For your price range, good is going to be hard to get. Bump up another $20 and find a set of peltor 6's on sale.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Nah, you should get a pair of Sordins In all seriousness, +1 on the Howard Leights.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Howard Leight Impact Sports will probably be the best option within your price range.

View Quote

This^. Have a these and Peltor. I used the Peltors once in 5 years.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nah, you should get a pair of Sordins In all seriousness, +1 on the Howard Leights.
View Quote

Sordins are well worth the cost, but Howard Leight's would be fine for that price range.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a set of Howard Leight Impact Sports earmuffs. They pickup on the electronics is fine, and they have a 3.5mm plug so you can connect them to a radio, but the hearing protection isn't sufficient.

For the money they're okay, but I wouldn't use them without earplugs also (unless you don't have a choice). They work great when combined with the Surefire earplugs though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:43:00 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have a giant head the HL Impact Sports may not work so well for you, I straddle the line between a L and XL helmet and they just barely have enough length adjustment for me. They are very good at amplifying sound giving you exceptional situational awareness and cut out almost seamlessly, with better ear cups they'd be pretty amazing. Battery life is very good.

Peltor Tac 100s have more adjustment and much softer ear cups, the ear cups however are shallow, so if your ears are a little big they're pressed against the foam. They don't amplify sound as well, cranked all the way up it's just kinda like you don't have muffs on, you won't hear something sneaking around near you, they use compression to protect you from loud sounds, which is kinda distracting and a little slow returning to normal, they are also very sensitive, mine are triggered by an action cycling, holster clicks, basically any sharp sound, doesn't have to be very loud. They shut off two hours after being turned on, good for battery life, irritating during a long range session.

I have had to warranty one pair of each, a pair of HLs with a screwy adjustment knob that made white noise in the off position and killed batteries rapidly, and a pair of Peltors that wouldn't turn on right out of the box. You have to retain the receipts and you have to return them to the vendor, the companies will not deal directly with you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have had mine for like 3 years, and i havent had any issues.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Peltor Comtac II's.  Best I have used.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've got a set of Howard Leight Impact Sports earmuffs. They pickup on the electronics is fine, and they have a 3.5mm plug so you can connect them to a radio, but the hearing protection isn't sufficient.

For the money they're okay, but I wouldn't use them without earplugs also (unless you don't have a choice). They work great when combined with the Surefire earplugs though.
View Quote

Seem to be sufficient for my. 50 cal crew serve shoots at work, don't know what else could be louder in the Civie world.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top