Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 7:06:42 PM EDT
Im looking for something to be able to take with me for GSW's or other puncture wounds. I don't face everyday danger but I do carry a firearm and would like to be prepared for a situation where a GSW or knife/puncture wound would require immediate attention whether treating myself from an attacker or other situations. I know stopping blood loss is vital. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Based on my every day environments I don't need a crazy over the top kit. But I would like something easily transportable especially on my person. Ideally a kit that would be able to treat at least 1 serious situation. 2-3 would be ideal incase I'm not alone. I'm looking into local training venues to get the basic training to use the tools needed. Again I'm not a combat or tactical person so I'm trying to get what I need rather then what's tacticool.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
1-2 israeli ETD bandages, 1-2 qc zfold combat gauzes, 1-2 primed pack gauze 5 yard roll of ducttape  that is all I would recommend without appropriate contextual training
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1-2 israeli ETD bandages, 1-2 qc zfold combat gauzes, 1-2 primed pack gauze 5 yard roll of ducttape  that is all I would recommend without appropriate contextual training
View Quote

As stated I'm looking into a few courses to take here in south Florida to bring my knowledge and skills upward. I would like to have a decent setup and gear to go along with this.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have zero training, an Izzy, OALES, or H bandage will handle your needs pretty well.  Maybe some Quick Clot Sport sponges.  I would say that you don't need compressed gauze yet since you don't know how to pack a wound.  Add in some nitrile gloves, and some duct tape, and you should be ok until you get some training.  The first thing I would look for after you get the appropriate training is a TQ.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As stated I'm looking into a few courses to take here in south Florida to bring my knowledge and skills upward. I would like to have a decent setup and gear to go along with this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take the training first so you get to mess around with everything before you buy
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#5]
If you can't find a school, a DVD will at least build your knowledge, even if you can't actually do hands-on work.

I watched Panteao's Combat Lifesaver DVD is few weeks ago and it was excellent.  It deals exclusively with trauma care, no boo-boos.  On par with the actual classes I've seen in person.  It'll be on my training shelf for sure.

Link:

http://panteao.com/product/combat-lifesaver/
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you can't find a school, a DVD will at least build your knowledge, even if you can't actually do hands-on work.

I watched Panteao's Combat Lifesaver DVD is few weeks ago and it was excellent.  It deals exclusively with trauma care, no boo-boos.  On par with the actual classes I've seen in person.  It'll be on my training shelf for sure.

Link:

http://panteao.com/product/combat-lifesaver/
View Quote
At LTK's recommendation, I recently bought that DVD and found it very informative and a worth while investment.  Just finishing up putting my IFAK together.  It really helped with what needs to be in your kit and what you can literally "live without".    Highly recommend Doc Spears:  Combat Lifesaver DVD.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

If one can't figure out a modern tourniquet, they clearly lack the aptitude to handle something as complex as a firearm safely. A medical kit without something so effective and potentially lifesaving as a quality TQ is incomplete.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If one can't figure out a modern tourniquet, they clearly lack the aptitude to handle something as complex as a firearm safely. A medical kit without something so effective and potentially lifesaving as a quality TQ is incomplete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been eyeing the swat and cat tourniquet's. A few kits I've been looking at include these with them. I didn't know most courses offer equipment for you to use. I assumed it's like the training classes I've done for shooting. Obviously need my own materials and firearms  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've been eyeing the swat and cat tourniquet's. A few kits I've been looking at include these with them. I didn't know most courses offer equipment for you to use. I assumed it's like the training classes I've done for shooting. Obviously need my own materials and firearms  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep CAT's on hand. SOFTT-T's and -W's are also at the top of the list. I keep a SWAT in my aid bag since it works well for pediatric use.

For the prices of these TQ's, having a couple ready-to-use and one for training is not unreasonable. Just be sure to mark the trainer or get a blue or orange CAT trainer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#10]
CAT and a Israeli bandage.   Plenty of band aids.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:18:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Oales 6"
Soft-t W TQ
CPR mask
Gloves
Surgical mask
Chewable asprin
WHO rehydration pack
Ceralite

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top