Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2015 4:59:56 PM EDT
Looking for comms but want something that doesnt have to be programmed.........i get lost on all that shit and honestly dont understand, i dont have my HAM certification........I want something reliable built well and can be used by anyone for SHTF comms.

If you guys have any easily programmed radios im all ears as well.......I just dont want to spend hours on a computer downloading stuff to make something work or screw up on my end lol

Discuss
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
There are tons of front panel programmable/field programmable units out there. Personally I have an EF Johnson 5100 on 2 meters and I love it. I also have Kenwood TK270 and 370 series.

Edit to add:

In my opinion, at the bottom of the ladder, are the Midland/Icom handhelds (model number escapes me, but I have a boatload of the VHF ones that I don't need if you are interested) that you press 1-5-7-3-5-9 to enter programming mode on. They are built like tanks and have BNC connectors, but are older and bulkier than many modern radios. Their mobile counterparts include the Icom V100/U200, or whatever they are called (which I have and don't need as well). They are all wideband and only do CTCSS tones and no DCS, and the mobiles are limited to 16 channels AFAIK.

Up a step would be things like the Icom F4 series, Kenwood TK270/370, as well as TK270G/370G, the Vertex equivalent (V4000 perhaps...I don't recall the model number). Not all are narrowband capable and the older ones have fewer options.

Then you have your EFJ, Motorola, Harris, etc.

Were you seeking something handheld or mobile? What is the budget?

And a radio is limited by its antenna, especially when you get down to HF or VHF low band. Better to spend $50 on a radio with limited features that you need, and $100 on an antenna and coax, rather than a fancy (used) $200 radio with a cheap Radio Shack antenna. Though learning how to homebrew your own antennas is a great (and fun) skill to have, and you can make some damn effective and simple designs for cheap if you know how.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of range and use are we talking?

If it's just comm amongst your group, handheld walkers, midland, Motorola are pretty good. My guys and I use midlands and works fine for us over a few miles in hilly terrain.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Few miles .....comms between group
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, then I wouldn't over think it too much. Some good long range midlands will be good to go.

These are the ones I run and are working great for me.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Two-Way-Radios%7C/pc/104791680/c/104785380/Midland-GXT2050VP4-Radio-Pack/1388063.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftwo-way-radios%2Fmidland%2F_%2FN-1100169%2B1000004018%2FNe-1000004018%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking for comms but want something that doesnt have to be programmed.........i get lost on all that shit and honestly dont understand, i dont have my HAM certification........I want something reliable built well and can be used by anyone for SHTF comms.

If you guys have any easily programmed radios im all ears as well.......I just dont want to spend hours on a computer downloading stuff to make something work or screw up on my end lol

Discuss
View Quote

That limits you to unlicensed devices.  GRMS/FRS/MURS or CB.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

BoaFeng radios.

Better antennas

MURS, FRS and GMRS frequencies. GMRS requires a lisence that is a no test just write a check radio ticket.

Chirp programming software (easy peasy)

Programming cable.

Low cost and simple.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, then I wouldn't over think it too much. Some good long range midlands will be good to go.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Two-Way-Radios%7C/pc/104791680/c/104785380/Midland-GXT2050VP4-Radio-Pack/1388063.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftwo-way-radios%2Fmidland%2F_%2FN-1100169%2B1000004018%2FNe-1000004018%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU
View Quote

I have those, and I am not pleased. They aren't reaching "miles" for me more like a street or two over.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

BoaFeng radios.

Better antennas

MURS, FRS and GMRS frequencies. GMRS requires a lisence that is a no test just write a check radio ticket.

Programming cable.

Low cost and simple.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BoaFeng radios.

Better antennas

Programming cable.

Low cost and simple.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have those, and I am not pleased. They aren't reaching "miles" for me more like a street or two over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send them back for warranty. I've maxed to about six miles over mildly hilly woody area.

Maybe houses cause more of an issue? I haven't tested in the city
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Send them back for warranty. I've maxed to about six miles over mildly hilly woody area.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-82-Black-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B00E4KLY34

It's 30 bucks and can do so much more then those little toys
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed...it could be that houses are an issue, which I thought about. I've been wanting to try them out at the farm and this thread has motivated to do so.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those require a HAM license, right? I do have one because work required it...but I am the only one in my circle of friends AND family that has the license.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
None of these will provide reliable comm at a range of miles unless you have line of sight.  Then almost anything would work.

For what you describe I suggest CB radio with 9' antennas.  Use high vantage points and scheduled contacts to increase range and reliability.

Or a ham license.  Then there are lots of options.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Baofeng UV82's also require a ham radio ticket.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they don't

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#16]
You have a few options to stay legal in the eyes of the FCC.

Get crap GMRS or FRS radios
Get an FCC license for a simplex frequency and use the Baofeng UV-82C
Get an actual MURS radio - found on Amazon (Limited to only 2 Watts)
Get an FCC License Free Motorola Digital DTR410 radio. They are in the 900MHz area. (These are very nice)
Get your HAM and use the simple CHIRP programming

There may be more options but this it what I know, I have used all of them. Each has pros and cons. For ease of use go with MURS or the DTR. For expandability go HAM. You are going to pay more for ease of use. More knowledge comes with HAM.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No handheld communications will give you reliable service over that kind of distance.

If you need that kind of range, you need mobile (vehicle) or base station radios with better antennas.

The only non-amateur, legal options for those are either with a GMRS license, or a land mobile (commercial/industrial) license.

If you had a reasonably defined area, you can use a repeater station on GMRS and support handheld radios over a much larger area.

None of those are consumer off-the-shelf solutions. If you're not willing to put a little into learning about communications, a local mobile radio shop will take care of you for a (likely very steep) price.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I would look into getting a land mobile license if you are willing to shell out some $ for comms.  I know ham is the way to go according to most (I'm a ham myself) but land mobile has some options you do not get with ham.  Encryption, single-user in your area, can have a repeater, etc.  Downsides are more expensive equipment, money for licensing, and you are likely to have to pay someone to get everything set up for you.  Most business radios can receive non-trunking public service frequencies as well.  If you want reliable communications in a circle of a few miles you have to go with a fixed or mobile repeater setup.  That is one of the great things about having a ham license, you can do a cross-band repeater in your vehicle and get that reliability while remaining mobile.  I am not sure of the FCC licensing requirements of a mobile repeater in other bands, but I'm sure it is doable.  

It is a similar problem to most any other equipment: there is a sliding scale of return for time/money investment.  Invest little to no time or money in it and don't expect much return, but you can trade one for the other to some extent.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No they don't

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they don't

Operates only legal, type accepted MURS equipment.

So, these radios are type accepted by the FCC for operation on MURS?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#20]
It's pretty straight forward and simple to program a Motorola XTS 3000 / 5000

You can find the XTS programming software for free (not stolen it's old enough that Motorola opened it up to the public)
Handhelds will range from 50-200 on ebay (some with some without batteries thus the range) add another $30 for a programming cable and you're all set.

I picked up a lot of 8 of them for $900 with batteries and antenna a while back they work great for hunting and using while we are camping etc. I chose the VHF band so I could operate on MURS without a license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top