Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2015 9:38:48 PM EDT
Like the title says, I got the new mag pouch in the mail yesterday, just in time for a weekend-long trip from Seattle, WA to Priest Lake, ID for a wedding.  Initial impressions are very favorable.  I'll wring the thing out over the trip, try to snap some pictures when I get back, and then put up a more involved review.  I will then follow that up with some range use after Thursday of next week.

In short, I like it so far.  The awkwardly-long seven-hour drive did not reveal it as especially uncomfortable, and I was pleasantly surprised at my ability to re-insert magazines into the pouch one-handed ([i[a la[/i] "tactical reloads").  It works with both Wilson Combat #47D (8-round 1911 magazines) and Glock 17 mags.  The single-stack mags can be doubled up in the pouches if one so desires, but they're difficult to insert.  Glock mags are a touch slower to insert.  The pouch, very technically, can be removed from the belt without taking off your belt, but since it's held on with laser-cut Velcro One-Wrap, it's tricky.  Perhaps more trouble than it's worth.  Other than that, I'm initially pleased.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome. Love Blue Force Gear.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome. Love Blue Force Gear.
View Quote

Absolutely agreed. Great company to do business with.

Thanks, OP I've been looking for a belt-mounted mag pouch for the times I not wearing my cargo pants.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got back into Seattle.  Once I have some range time under my belt this week, I'll post the more detailed review.

Comfort levels remain very high.  Much more (subjectively) comfortable than a kydex double mag pouch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, no photos as yet (I had to work an extra shift today), but I can share more of my thoughts and experiences about this piece of equipment.  BLUFF:  I like it a lot and recommend it.

Retention is very, very good.  I had one of my RSOs hand me magazines from pistols at random to see if they'd fit in the BFG pouch, and all of them did.  We tested the following:

-Sig Sauer P228
-Sig Sauer P225
-Sig Sauer P239
-Sig Sauer P320 (full size)
-Beretta M9
-Various 1911s (mainly Wilson Combat & OEM mags)
-Glock 19
-Glock 17
-Glock 43
-Glock 21 (actually from a 41, but it's the same mag)
-Glock 20
-FNH FNX-45
-FN Five-seveN (this one was tough to get inserted)
-Ruger LCP
-Walther PPK/S
-Magnum Research Desert Eagle .44 Magnum (very hard to insert, but it did fit)

All of which, save for the .380 ACP magazines, withstood being upended and shaken without the magazines falling out.  The extra-small .380 ACP magazines just weren't quite held in by the elastic.  I have no concerns with the retention of this product and feel confident that it will securely hold your reloads where you want them.  Sprinting 'off the X' didn't get my 1911 or Glock 9mm magazines to dislodge, nor did jumping up and down with knees touching chest.  I did not conduct movement trials with any other magazines besides the .45 ACP 1911 and 9mm Glock mags.

Adjustability is accomplished by two loops of Velcro One-Wrap that can be made to fit belts far larger than mine.  I only use 1.5" belts and don't know anyone that has larger or smaller belts, so that's all I was able to test.  I'd be shocked if you couldn't get this product to fit belts as small as 3/4" or as large as 2".  If I had to complain about something, I'd mention that I was hoping there would be a quicker way to remove the pouch without taking off your belt.  As it is, you have to reach between the pouch and your trousers, on the inside of your belt, to pouch open the Velcro One-Wrap, and it's not quick or convenient.  This is a minor gripe, mind you.  The Raven Concealment double magazine carrier that this is replacing can't be removed at all unless you take off your belt.  I'm just spoiled by the ease of removing my Incog holster and magazine caddy (which I've converted into a stand-alone IWB mag carrier).

While I'm sure the elastic will eventually wear, it bears noting that the bottom of the pouch is reinforced with Ultra-Comp to prevent the bottom from wearing through.  Very cool.

I am very pleased with the product and will replace it when the elastic gives out.  Highly recommended, especially for those who use multiple different types of firearms.  As I am principally a 1911 and Glock shooter, I like being able to use one magazine pouch for all seasons.  It's also nice to be able to double up on magazines if I desire.  Instead of a single Glock magazine or two 1911 (or other single-stack) magazine, I can run two Glock or up to four 1911 magazines.  Kinda cool, even if doubling up on single-stack mags will tax the elastic more than is likely recommended.  Being able to do so is still neat.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
While I carry a Hi Power and you didn't specifically test that magazine, M9 mags are dimensionally almost identical, as are CZ-75 magazines.

Also, BFG has offered to replace the rare worn out Ten Speed mag pouch. I see little reason why the same wouldn't apply to this item.

Thanks a lot for the review. I sincerely appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
You're welcome!  I'll get photos up as soon as I can, but I will be out of town tomorrow, so it may not be until next week.  Womp womp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top