Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2015 5:40:18 PM EDT
I need a durable gear bag for work. I'm currently using a Samsonite travel bag that was given to me, but it's less than ideal. I need a very durable small backpack style that can hold primary gear (pistol and holster, pistol mags, flashlight, extra knife, cuffs, pepper spray and flashlight) along with extras (clip board, pens, ID, extra batteries, phone, search gloves, lunch, etc.). I'd also like some extra room for a rain poncho, extra shirt and misc.). It can be discrete or not, it doesn't really matter for my circumstances but I'd like it to have pockets that are easily accessible with one hand. I'd like multiple compartments so I could separate things and I don't need space for a laptop. Any suggestions? Durability is my primary concern.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Maxpedition gear and I have
a few of their packs and bags.

Maxpedition

John
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]
If your really want something durable, and you're already filling it with a lot of weighty things; I'd recommend 1000d weight cordura/nylon. For the stitching and everything else to hold out, then I'd recommend 'made in the USA.'

Other than that, just pick whatever layout/design you  like the most. Since you said rain gear and lunch... I'd go with something a little bigger than you might be thinking, then just get something that has cinch straps to make it smaller. Can't add capacity, but you can take it away.

Don't get a single strap backpack... those are known to be very unergonomic and hard on the body.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.skdtac.com/Tactical-Tailor-Removable-Operator-Pack-p/ttr.128.htm
Small, Simple, 1000d, Made In The USA will attach to another larger bag or pc. I absolutely love mine, I have had it almost 2 years of daily use.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Vanquest Trident

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Something I maybe should have mentioned/asked.

Are you trying to stay low profile at the same time? Molle strapping or a coyote brown/tan bag (let alone multicam) sort of gives away your mindset and can draw attention.

It could also tempt like-minded people to come out of the woodwork to network with you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
It might be a little bigger than you're looking but I've been using a Camelbak Urban Assault (ignore the goofy name) for that type of role for a couple years and it works well. Looks bookbagish but is tough and organized.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something I maybe should have mentioned/asked.

Are you trying to stay low profile at the same time? Molle strapping or a coyote brown/tan bag (let alone multicam) sort of gives away your mindset and can draw attention.

It could also tempt like-minded people to come out of the woodwork to network with you.
View Quote

For its main use (work) it wouldn't matter either way, but I'm starting to think that there may be times when I'm not working that it may be preferable to be low key, just in case.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have one yet but I have been looking at this to do pretty much what you want to do:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/#snapdragon-pack-ex?quantity=1&itemcolor=1
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:50:31 AM EDT
[#10]
GoRuck bags are some of my favorite EDC bags.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GoRuck bags are some of my favorite EDC bags.
View Quote

The new ones are mighty pricey, but they have a strong following from what I see.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I finally settled on a Vanquest Mobius Vpacker. I didn't really give much consideration to a sling pack, but considering that 99 percent of the time it'll be going to and from a vehicle and never actually carried as a pack, it was the perfect choice for my purposes. Plenty of room to carry what I need, easy to sling on my shoulder when I'm getting everything I need out of the car and Vanquest's "fire sale" price of $55 was very nice. I'll probably get a larger standard pack when circumstances require it, but this should suit me fine almost all of the time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got the Vanquest in today. It's the perfect size for what I need daily. Just enough room for my work gear, a separate pouch for a pistol and it appears to be built like a tank. All for $55. The only thing I had to give up is space for a clipboard, but I would have needed a much bigger pack for that. Fully loaded, it's half the size of the laptop bag I was using.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Jansport.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#17]
First Spear Comm Pack

I have both.

I use the Large for daily office carry when I carry my 15" Laptop and office gear and I use the Medium for my EDC. It is awesome and rather discreet.

The Medium is good for nothing larger than an iPAD or 10" tablet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I like Maxpedition gear and I have

a few of their packs and bags.

Maxpedition

John
View Quote

Agreed....Maxpdition makes excellent quality gear.

I own several bags and packs, all are as well made as any nylon gear on the market and better than most.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#20]
One of my best bag, the TRIDENT

http://www.vanquest.com/
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#21]
LBT 4th sale. 3 day pack, you won't regret for the sale price
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]
OK, here's an update for anyone interested: The Vanquest is the best thing I've ever bought for $50. I use this thing everywhere. I got some ribbing from coworkers about the tactical murse, but I told them to piss off .

It is very durable and has great organization. I can easily remove my main work gear from the center dump pouch and use it for personal carry. It's comfortable, easily adjustable and rock solid. I'll be seriously looking at Vanquest in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top