Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2015 5:32:14 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a multicam boonie hat for hot weather.

I'm looking at several different ones, but I'm not sure which material would be the "coolest" on a hot day.

Rothco makes a 65% polyester / 35% cotton rip-stop boonie hat

Proper makes a 40% polyester / 60% cotton boonie hat

Apparently Proper also makes a boonie in 100% cotton  (either that, or one of these two products is a counterfeit good.

Tru-Spec makes on in "nylon" (I'm assuming it is 100% nylon?)

and finally there is the original from Crye Precision which is apparently made from double top secret materials.

Which is best for prolonged exposure in extreme bright and sunny (HOT) weather?
I'm not dealing with humidity, just dry dusty heat.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
100% Cotton will be the coolest, probably not the most durable.

I don't think Crye was even a business plan when the original boonie hats were made in the Viet Nam war.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think Crye was even a business plan when the original boonie hats were made in the Viet Nam war.
View Quote

Crye Precision is from ~2000 or so.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

By "original" I was referring to Cry being the originator of the multicam pattern you see in those links that I posted.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Polyester cotton sucks in the heat. Nylon/cotton is th best balance between durability and breathability/heat retention.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The CP is most likely a ripstop blend (50/50).
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Cotton will be the coolest.   It will age well too.   If you like that kind of stuff.   Get one size larger.   Then abuse it and wash it.   You'll love it
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Your welcome:

Tilley Multicam
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Outdoor Research makes one as well that's excellent in hot weather.  50% Cotton and 50% nylon.  Available in khaki and MC.

ETA:  Outdoor Research Helios in Multicam
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
This is what I use:

SOD Gear - Boonie Hat HCS

It's light, keeps my head cool, and after 2 years of use, doesn't show much wear.  The terry cloth forehead band is an excellent touch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is what I use:

It's light, keeps my head cool, and after 2 years of use, doesn't show much wear.  The terry cloth forehead band is an excellent touch.
View Quote

Is that site legit??
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is that site legit??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what I use:

Is that site legit??

It is.  They are based in Italy.  It took about a month and a half to receive my order, but it was well worth the wait.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't speak for hats, but my experience with BDU's is that Propper's 65% Polyester stuff is insanely hot. I've got a couple sets of their BDU's for the winter, but that's all they're good for.

On the other hand, I can't tell the difference in heat between the Rothco 45% Polyester vs surplus 50% nylon vs 100% cotton stuff. All of those seem equally acceptable in the Central Texas summer.

ETA: That 100% cotton Propper had linked in the first post is NOT 100% cotton. The top line shows it's 65% polyester (which is what most of the Propper stuff is). Amazon item descriptions suck when 3rd parties are involved.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I dont know about the rest, but I've used an issued 50/50 ny/co boonie in the desert, and it works pretty well. I've also used 65/35 poly/cotton pants and they are definitely heavier than ny/co.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top