Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2015 10:16:32 AM EDT
I'm putting together a man cave of sorts and I'd like to do either a cross type plate carrier stand (2x4s) or maybe a maniquin wearing the plate carrier.

Does anyone know if long term storage of a plate carrier with plates in it causes damage/sagging to the carrier? I'm wondering if I need to create a support for the carrier or if I can let it hang on it's own.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i have mine on a t that is made out of plywood, and my stuff is good to go.

I will try and get a picture
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#2]
we were told that keeping our IBA and IOTV on a cross-type stand would make the soft armor roll and it was discouraged.  

If you just have a PC with no soft armor it shouldn't be a problem.  I was deployed with a guy who said he used a stand for 4 deployments with his Eagle PC (no soft armor, just plates) and he didn't have any issues.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you carry it in your car?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have 3. One car, on bump in night, and one for the man cave. I'm just hesitant to hang it because I feel all that weight hanging every day can't be great for it? Idk but it sounds like it hasn't been a problem for you guys and it would look pretty nifty.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Carry on then.  If the soft armor does roll, report back & get some more.  I'd imagine a store dummy close to your size would work better than the plywood crosses I saw briefly in Iraq.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Leaning against the wall in my closet with one side open so i can toss it on in a hurry.

Its been stored like that for 4-5 years and the soft armor has not rolled or shown any signs of wear.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
They fit nicely over 5 gallon water jugs/carboys.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I put mine in a shadow box on the wall.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:49:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I put mine in a shadow box on the wall.
View Quote

I need to see this.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Our personals are "stored" this way as well or laying flat.  I do not recommend hanging a carrier on any device for long term.  Yes, we have seen and practiced the armor cross stand method in past life, but I don't recommend it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leaning against the wall in my closet with one side open so i can toss it on in a hurry.

Its been stored like that for 4-5 years and the soft armor has not rolled or shown any signs of wear.

Our personals are "stored" this way as well or laying flat.  I do not recommend hanging a carrier on any device for long term.  Yes, we have seen and practiced the armor cross stand method in past life, but I don't recommend it.

I had a sneaking suspicion it's probably not optimal.

If I could fashion a support so the plates had something under them, would that remedy the problem? So like the cross stand you mentioned with a shelf for the plates to sit on.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Just lay it on a shelf.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Anything that will get the weight off the shoulders and on the floor (or shelf that you described).  Curious to see what solution you come up with, make sure you let us all know when it is done!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a sneaking suspicion it's probably not optimal.

If I could fashion a support so the plates had something under them, would that remedy the problem? So like the cross stand you mentioned with a shelf for the plates to sit on.

Anything that will get the weight off the shoulders and on the floor (or shelf that you described).  Curious to see what solution you come up with, make sure you let us all know when it is done!

Will do-I have a plan in the works and will post pictures when complete-may be a couple months away for it to all come together. I am thinking about buying a mannequin torso down to hips and having a support stand (Kind of like shelving brackets) that the plates will stand on.

Now that I'm thinking about it, my battle belt has level 2 soft armor in it. Would strapping it to the mannequin cause the armor to get screwed up? I've read flat is the way to go, but I  am unsure of the science behind it. I'm running the Tyr X-frame so separating the belt from carrier is impractical.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just lay it on a shelf.
View Quote

That's too practical :p

But seriously I dumped all the money into the carrier and plates-I'd like to have them look nice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have 3. One car, on bump in night, and one for the man cave. I'm just hesitant to hang it because I feel all that weight hanging every day can't be great for it? Idk but it sounds like it hasn't been a problem for you guys and it would look pretty nifty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

hanging on you or hanging on a tree, what is the difference

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But seriously I dumped all the money into the carrier and plates-I'd like to have them look nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just lay it on a shelf.

Inter Metro industrial wire shelving.  I don't deploy without it now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:...hanging on you or hanging on a tree, what is the difference    

View Quote

Differences in dimensions from one do not translate to the other.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:09:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Everything I've ever been told or referenced has said to store it laying flat so you don't bunch up the soft armor. That being said, if you don't have soft armor that shouldn't be an issue
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#22]
This stand holds 4 portable folding tables.  These tables are made for just one individual.  Notice the grooves on the bottom to allow the 4 tables to fit

Transformed it into my PC stand.  I used the closest grooves for mounting the PC.  The plates sits and rests on the bottom arms of the stand allowing relief to the velcro attachment.

May work or not depending on the size of your PC, but the one in the image is a Condor Sentry PC and it is perfect.  And it houses AR500 plates which are really heavy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top