Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2015 11:55:02 AM EDT
If this is in the wrong section I am sorry, couldn't find a good spot for it.

I am looking for a pair of tactical-ish shorts and need some assistance.

These will be worn mainly for a trip to FL but also at home.
Trip will be in July so very warm temps.

What I would like in the shorts:

Be able to breath and not make me sweltering during heat of day
Ability to dry quickly as Disney rides can get wet
Deep pockets to carry a G42 after the trip
Strong stitching for storing lots in the pockets
Be inexpensive, IE not super cheap

The LA Police gear ones looked nice but comments seem they are a bit heavy and warm.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

ETA Plastic hardware is a plus for airport security but not a must have
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll throw Duluth Trading Co. out there as a suggestion. Shorts can be found here: Shorts. Yes, they are pretty spendy, but I think of them as a buy once cry once thing. If you ever do manage to wear one of their products out, send it back for a full refund, and I believe a credit towards shipping for whatever you had to spend to send it back. I've been slowly building my collection of their products, and haven't been disappointed by anything yet. The 'Duluth flex - Dry on the fly' seem like they'd meet most of your specs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Have a seamstress cut down some ripstop BDUs.  Instant tactical shorts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
While not exactly cheap, any of the Triple Aught Design shorts would fit your requirements. They are by far the best designed shorts I've ever found and are even made in the U.S.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
TAD Shorts, hands down best shorts ever. Not over tacticool, lots of features. The ones labeled "AC" are made of a nylon like cloth, good for raining places. I wear those when I visit Philippines. "RS" are rip stop, kinda heavy material, but TAD clothing is some of the best clothing I have ever owned. hands down. And like the other poster, they are made in the USA which is a big plus.

If your a Vet, they offer a 15% discount program.

Triple Aught Design

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TAD Shorts, hands down best shorts ever. Not over tacticool, lots of features. The ones labeled "AC" are made of a nylon like cloth, good for raining places. I wear those when I visit Philippines. "RS" are rip stop, kinda heavy material, but TAD clothing is some of the best clothing I have ever owned. hands down. And like the other poster, they are made in the USA which is a big plus.

Triple Aught Design

http://assets.tripleaughtdesign.com/media/cache/2f/62/2f620d457093772d7aa041ef8fbdbc28.jpg
View Quote
Wearing Recon AC shorts right now. Everything about them, and the Force 10, is perfect. The stitching is flawless, the cut is perfect, and the pockets have an ideal layout.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wearing Recon AC shorts right now. Everything about them, and the Force 10, is perfect. The stitching is flawless, the cut is perfect, and the pockets have an ideal layout.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triple Aught Design

http://assets.tripleaughtdesign.com/media/cache/2f/62/2f620d457093772d7aa041ef8fbdbc28.jpg

Force 10 RS myself, was hoping for a restock soon since it is summer. Was looking to pick up a couple more pairs. Also turned the wife into a TAD head. Its a more expensive hobby then guns!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for TAD shorts.  The Force 10 AC are my go to summer shorts.  I have a lot of them
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
TAD shorts look very nice but my wife would kill me if I spent that much on a pair of shorts.

I have a couple 5.11 things and love them but again, little pricey.

I kinda like the Proper Lightweight shorts, these. Anybody have any experience with Proper?

thanks for replies and keep them coming.

Craig
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I do except I just cut them off myself and that's it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

Cut off the legs.  It's easy.  Even a kid with scissors can do it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I like LL Bean Allagash Shorts

They can often be found on sale.  Probably don't dry as quickly as you are looking for, but they dry quick enough, and disney for a reason lol.

Plenty of pockets to include extra zippered pockets big enough to carry an LCP or J frame in a holster.  I regularly pocket carry the same and often IWB an M&P 9C.  While the 42, 43, and Shield are well beyond what I would ever pocket carry, they would easily fit in the cargo pockets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Indestructible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup. Indestructible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Indestructible.

Any pictures?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Any pictures?

Thanks,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Indestructible.

Any pictures?

Thanks,

Picture some BDU pants that are cut off just below the cargo pocket with the edge sewn up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Picture some BDU pants that are cut off just below the cargo pocket with the edge sewn up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Indestructible.

Any pictures?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. Indestructible.

Any pictures?

Thanks,

I.e, classy. Extra point if you make them out of ACU bottoms.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
5.11 shorts are tight in the seat, especially if you have a few extra pounds of emergency carbohydrates in the back like I do. These aren't the first "police" pants I've worn either; they're intentionally cut snug for use with rappelling seats and such. Does cut down on the cross-breeze though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:... Extra point if you make them out of ACU bottoms.
View Quote

Thanks bro, I was trying to eat lunch.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I have two pairs of REI-branded shorts and one Marmot. Both brands are fantastic. The Marmots are made for climbing, so the material is stretchy, yet durable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Triple Aught Design

View Quote
They actually had some in stock in my size.  Might have to pick one up.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, DO NOT think that you can just "cut the legs off pants" and have shorts.  That is NOT how it works.  Tactical shorts are engineered from the ground up to be shorts that are tactical.  The engineers think about the timing/geometry of the pockets in relation to the trunnion seam, amongst other aspects.  A pair of mis-timed shorts can lead to catastrophe.

If you look at pictures of tier-one (or better) elite tactical operators, who can wear whatever they want, you won't see them wearing "cut offs."  That is because in a world of compromise, some men don't.

In fact, I have a friend who is pretty close to a guy who worked the Blackwater contract in Bagdad who told me about a non-Blackwater contractor who was on the two-way range in a pair of less-than-tactically optimized shorts when the gusset trunnion blew out on his shorts and got his whole team killed.  They checked later, yep, he was wearing cut-off pants and used a un-certified pants smith who didn't time the pockets correctly.  You don't want that to happen.

You should also think about how mad the collectors will be if they see you in a pair of bubba-ized historical pants.  There may be a zillion pairs of BDUs out there now, but think about how scarce M1944 Reversible Waffen SS Combat Pants are today.   That is because of all the Hans and Frans Bubbas who cut them down to shorts in the 1950s for beach vacations in Croatia.  Don't destroy our warrior history by going Bubba on your dad's warrior pants.  ACUs or BDUs are not Mosin rifles where nobody cares if you cut 'em up.

You also need to think about compliance with the Berry Act, US sourced, over-engineered materials and IR signature. What about the legalities?  If you cut down a pair of pants, have you just "manufactured a pair of shorts?"  Are you legally authorized to do that?  Remember, in the eyes of the law, the part of the garment that carries the pockets is legally the garment.  Proceed with due legal caution if you are not a legal clothing manufacturer.  Legally you can make shorts into pants, but "once a pair of pants, always a pair of pants" is the law. Do you know the legal definition of LLS (long legged shorts) or SLP (short legged pants)?  Consult with a lawyer to be safe.

I wouldn't step a foot in a modern-day Gladiator School like a Disney Park without proper warrior pants or true tactical shorts on, in case the food court turns into a two-way range.  Cut offs might be okay for the posers on a square range, but not really.

Maybe think about Arcteryx, TAD or Kifaru.

5.11, LAPG, or Condor for the tactical-warrior sheep-dog CCW-citizen on a budget.

The Duluth Fire Truck shorts are for Union Guys who didn't even get STEM degrees.  (Stay away).  Might be okay on the (so called) "job site" but not acceptable for tactical applications in today's modern urban battle conditions that exist in the suburban two-way ranges of American tactical retail battle space.

It takes more than khaki shorts from Costco to make a warrior, it takes MOLLE, Cordura, IR tabs,Multi-Cam, velcro and colors like "tactical field coyote" with proper 360-degree brand-conscious online shopping to step away from the crowd and become a true alpha among the clamoring betas.

Don't forget:  head on a swivel, get off the X.

Be safe out there, bro!

[fist bump]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I ascribe to the "Selous Scout" ideology of wearing shorts.  If you're going to wear them, make sure that they provide the maximum range of motion, are made out of a low impact, low signature material that won't make a bunch of noise, and don't worry about pockets or anything because all of your tactical gear should be in a LBV, shorts suck for carrying anything because they way they flop around with loaded pockets.

Nothing is more tactical than slikies.

Be able to breath and not make me sweltering during heat of day
CHECK

Ability to dry quickly as Disney rides can get wet
CHECK

Be inexpensive, IE not super cheap
CHECK

Now, here's the thing.  While three out of 5 isn't bad it does not fulfiull your needs.
However, with out of the box thinking, we can over come that by creating a comfortable carry system.

Buy Undertech Underwear.  The shit works as an IWB holster, and you can wear ANY shorts you want.   My ex used some and would carry an XDM in sun dresses and not print even being rail skinny.

SO BAM, don't have to do shitty pocket carry, you'll have a REAL carry mode.

As far as pockets for storage. Get a backpack.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:...

View Quote

Jansport.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Jansport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:...

Jansport.
Indeed!
Greyman as fuck.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I ascribe to the "Selous Scout" ideology of wearing shorts.  If you're going to wear them, make sure that they provide the maximum range of motion, are made out of a low impact, low signature material that won't make a bunch of noise, and don't worry about pockets or anything because all of your tactical gear should be in a LBV, shorts suck for carrying anything because they way they flop around with loaded pockets.

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/10483117_10154423390110346_799656781278208424_n.jpg?oh=dbb07b1e6f51e6bb304e3c49d4537af5&oe=55CF7839

Be able to breath and not make me sweltering during heat of dayCHECK
Ability to dry quickly as Disney rides can get wetCHECK

Be inexpensive, IE not super cheapCHECK

Now, here's the thing.  While three out of 5 isn't bad it does not fulfiull your needs.

However, with out of the box thinking, we can over come that by creating a comfortable carry system.

Buy Undertech Underwear.  The shit works as an IWB holster, and you can wear ANY shorts you want.   My ex used some and would carry an XDM in sun dresses and not print even being rail skinny.

SO BAM, don't have to do shitty pocket carry, you'll have a REAL carry mode.

View Quote

Holy... Ranger.... Panties........
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/10483117_10154423390110346_799656781278208424_n.jpg?oh=dbb07b1e6f51e6bb304e3c49d4537af5&oe=55CF7839

Be able to breath and not make me sweltering during heat of dayCHECK
Ability to dry quickly as Disney rides can get wetCHECK
Be inexpensive, IE not super cheapCHECK

View Quote

Silkies might be where it's at for comfort, but nothing says I am ready for business, operator business like a good tight set of UDT shorts.  Granted, they are tight, they bind, and they will chafe the shit out of your entire groin, but they send a clear message: "Nobody but nobody ought to fuck with a guy willing to do that to his own inner thighs."

OP, tactical cargo shorts are for posers.  UDT shorts are true Tier summer gear.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Mountain Khakis shorts, specifically their twill ones, are excellent.

http://www.mountainkhakis.com/products/men/shorts/teton-twill-short.cfm

You can usually find them on sale pretty easily.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

5.11 shorts are tight in the seat, especially if you have a few extra pounds of emergency carbohydrates in the back like I do. These aren't the first "police" pants I've worn either; they're intentionally cut snug for use with rappelling seats and such. Does cut down on the cross-breeze though.
View Quote
I hate my one pair of 5.11 shorts for this very reason. I'm not exactly a large guy, but they're still tight.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I like Kuhl pants, so I'm guessing their shorts should be good too. Check out Kühl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top