Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2015 8:14:56 AM EDT
Preferably out of a 20 inch AR at CQB distance like 5 meters or closer.  I know it is rated at 3100, which seems like it will stop some of the slower rounds out of a box, but sometimes you get one that is closer to 3400.  Just curious, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#1]
No first hand experience, however in GD member 10_mm has a series of great videos blasting various armor with various rounds.
His YouTube handle is "The Wound Channel"

IIRC he shot an AR500 steel plate at 25yards with m193 and it zipped right through.
At 5m? I sincerely doubt you've got a chance with steel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't find it at the moment, but there is a video of the new AR500 3+ plates stopping M193 up close, with the video featuring some marketing dude from AR500.com.

I'm still waiting for a video of them putting a plate on a scale.

Quoted:
No first hand experience, however in GD member 10_mm has a series of great videos blasting various armor with various rounds.
His YouTube handle is "The Wound Channel"

IIRC he shot an AR500 steel plate at 25yards with m193 and it zipped right through.
At 5m? I sincerely doubt you've got a chance with steel.
View Quote

AR500.com claims to have redesigned their armor so it will stop M193. They're calling the new stuff III+.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah that's the one I am looking for.  There are tons of videos of the older lvl 3 getting holes punched in it at various ranges, even out to 20m by m193.  I want to see what the lvl 3+ will do at different ranges as well.  There is even a video where someone set up a chronograph right in front of the old lvl 3 armor to see exactly what velocity will penetrate it.  I actually remember it being able to stop some rounds at about 3175.  So I would be interested in seeing the new one with the same type of test.  I have no doubt it will stop m193 at some ranges, I just want to know if it would stop it if you got shot wearing it in the same room with someone, CQB type distances.

ETA here it is:

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#4]
AR500 Armor, the manufacturer of the III+ steel plates you reference did a live testing of this situation and recorded it. It's on their YouTube channel.

If I recall correctly, the plate defeated M193 at 20 feet or closer, don't recall out of what length of barrel. Watch the video first if you're planning on purchasing some though and don't take my word for it because I'm going off memory.

If the lead times would ever calm down I would probably spend the money to upgrade my current steel lvl 3 set up to the 3+, although I am perfectly happy with just level 3 protection given my uses.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
comment removed. misread context of AR500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top