Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2015 2:00:01 AM EDT
I'm looking to pickup a light weight plate carrier and a 48hr/72hr pack that can be used together (perhaps bag attached to PC) with the ability to use either the PC or pack as stand alone items. My primary focus is weight, maneuverability, quality. Pricing isn't a major issue - I'm looking for something of quality that can take a beating - Id preferably like a setup that allows  2+ rifle AR mags in the front.

I've been researching for a few days now, but I feel like I'm just running in circles with the amount of brands out there.
I'm hoping w/ the vast amount of knowledge on this forum you guys can help -
Thoughts? Ideas? Product reviews? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
are you looking for a ballistic plate carrier or more a chest rig with the backpack? In my survival kit, I use the condor modular chest panel because it was only $30 but it doesn't have padded shoulder straps which makes it more comfortable when carrying mostly any backpacks. I have two .308/Pistol mags on the front, flashlight pouch/light and suppressor pouch. The chest panel also rides high so its just above the packs waist belt which then i have my emt pouch and two more .308/pistol mags. If your looking for a plate carrier, your going to run into the problem with the plate carriers shoulder straps and the packs shoulder straps. Hope that works!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I was looking for a ballistic plate carrier that provides at least level III protection .... I'm looking at a few options... any thoughts? Maybe some brands I should stay away from?
Ares Armor - Derma Plate Carrier

with

Ares Armor Combat XII Pack

Is this a good brand? Is there a setup that might work better?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#3]
SKD's Pig carrier and Systema backs and straps are an option.

Another is to find a good plate carrier and then get a pack that fits your needs. I have a Mayflower Assault Plate Carrier and a Grey Ghost Gear lightweight assault pack. The Pack can be standalone or attach directly to pack. Lots of options. There are also companies that make zip-off back panels that interface with their plate carriers. Mayflower/velocity makes a few I believe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks! This helps.. I think it was too overwhelming to try and find both a pack and a plate carrier... too many options... I'll take your suggestion and find a good plate carrier first.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea there is a ton of options and not knowing your budget it's tough! The ares armor system looks great, had never seen that...but you can get be 5.11 rush tier buckle system and get a backpack with removable shoulder straps and do the same thing as the ares system.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Combat XII Pack that I use with my PC, and stand alone.

I wouldn't recommend it as a 72 hour pack, simply because it's not generally large enough for that task, depending on what you're bringing with you. It's more than adequate for a 24 hour pack, or assault pack where you want to have some extra stuff on you, but not on your PC. I put an extra medical pouch on the MOLLE, a weapon cleaning kit, extra water bottles, an extra flashlight, and  a change of socks that stay in it permanently, and then add in anything extra I need for what I'm doing in particular in the main compartment. Then I can add in the extra magazines in the top part, if I need to. Or just more water bottles.

If you tried to put in enough food and water and some sort of shelter/sleep system in it, and everything else you need for 72 hours of sustainment, you'd run out of room very quickly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Combat XII Pack that I use with my PC, and stand alone.

I wouldn't recommend it as a 72 hour pack, simply because it's not generally large enough for that task, depending on what you're bringing with you. It's more than adequate for a 24 hour pack, or assault pack where you want to have some extra stuff on you, but not on your PC. I put an extra medical pouch on the MOLLE, a weapon cleaning kit, extra water bottles, an extra flashlight, and  a change of socks that stay in it permanently, and then add in anything extra I need for what I'm doing in particular in the main compartment. Then I can add in the extra magazines in the top part, if I need to. Or just more water bottles.

If you tried to put in enough food and water and some sort of shelter/sleep system in it, and everything else you need for 72 hours of sustainment, you'd run out of room very quickly.
View Quote

I, too, have an Ares Armor Combat XII pack, and agree with what my brother of another mother said. It is not designed as a 72-hour pack. It is designed as a "last hundred yards" pack. As in, those few items you'll need for the last hundred yards of a movement to contact or raid-things like water, ammo, comms, a few light snacks, that sort of thing. It's designed for an individual to carry a minimal amount of items which serve a distinct purpose. The pack is purposefully designed not to be big enough to carry so much that the person tries to carry too much.

I have mine set up this way:
Main Compartment:
-2 hydration bladders
-poncho

Large Outside Compartment:
-2 broken down MRE's

Small outside compartment:
-extra CAT-T TQ
-Surefire spare battery/bulb carrier
-a few chem lights of various colors

Top Mag pouches:
-6 PMAGs

left and right side MOLLE:
-1 smoke grenade pouch and M-18 each

back MOLLE:
-Eagle Admin panel w/ NFA paperwork and a Glock 19 mag
-mag pouch w/ G-19 mag (total of two pistol mags on it)
-2 TT 6-round shotgun panels (assorted shotgun ammo-00Buck, slugs, LL)

Basically, I use mine as a reload/sustainment pack, and carry ammo appropriate for whichever gun I might have on me, as well as water and emergency food.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Dang, looks like it rules that out - I need 72 hours sustainment -  Any thoughts on the PIG Plate Carrier? - Is their any negatives to it? Is there anything better that might be more suitable for an optional 48-72 hour pack ?
I've also came across the Banshee Rifle Plate Carrier
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Just about any PC and a Tactical Tailor removeable operator pack.  http://www.tacticaltailor.com/removableoperatorpack.aspx
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

just watched MR's video on these and it looks like a good idea. I'm curious to see what people say about them?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Issued with the FILBE main pack.  Haven't tried mine yet.  I don't know what advantage the Mystery cinch has over a properly positioned and adjusted sternum strap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just watched MR's video on these and it looks like a good idea. I'm curious to see what people say about them?

Issued with the FILBE main pack.  Haven't tried mine yet.  I don't know what advantage the Mystery cinch has over a properly positioned and adjusted sternum strap.

Beware what rig you run it with.
Full armor systems that have a shit ton of PALs webbing(Eagle CIRAS/BAE RBAV) stretched across the front, will have the real estate available to stick the two tabs of the Mystery Cinch in to.

Certain plate carriers with less real estate and PALs webbing may or may not work. It doe's NOT work in conjunction with my Crye JPC.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

It's a solution they came up with by not understanding the problem.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Kifaru Armour Grip perhaps?

You said money was no object....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqVF5uh-tPw[/youtube]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got the SKD Pig PC and the Tactical Tailor Removable Operator Pack (see link in one of the above posts). Both are extremely high quality and built in the USA. In my opnion, it is the absolute best combo out there, at least for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the help guys, this helps a lot !
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Kifaru Armour Grip perhaps?

You said money was no object....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqVF5uh-tPw
View Quote

"Our Armor Grip packs are no longer available for individual orders.  They are now for unit order only. "

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Well heck.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Back on-topic.  Packs attached to PCs look like a good idea until one tries it.

Long story short, use an appropriate pack with shoulder straps, and a vertically adjustable sternum strap.  BTDT.
View Quote

This.  No need to go big, I would recommend something around 2000 in^3, like the camelbak trizip or mystery ranch 3DA.  The Futura yoke gives you incredible flexibility when using a pack while wearing body armor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
So after some research - I'm trying to decide between:

SKD Tactical - PIG Plate Carrier
Crye Precision - Adaptive Vest System (AVS)
Crye Precision - Jumpable Plate Carrier (JPC)
TYR Tactical - PICO Assaulters Plate Carrier

Which would you choose ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a JPC and love it. Also have a Tactical Tailor Removable operator pack. They work perfect together.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#24]
i've tried many over the years and for what you want and the choices the AVS with the harness is the way to go.  With the harness you can attach something like the First spear exigent circumstance pack with itw's directly to it for 24/48 hour. scale down to the crye zip on panel with no harness or a pack with straps and chest strap.  Get the optional padded shoulder strap covers

Get the source ILPS 2L/3L reservoir
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Any plate carrier you like.

Tactical Tailor Operator pack.

Mystery Ranch Cinch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top