Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2015 8:52:38 PM EDT
do they exist?  I am having the hardest time finding information on this. A local guy around me says he sells to the local LE and he offers Bullet blocker polyethylen level IV plates. They dont list these plates on their website so I am sure they are a special order plate. Anyone have info on this?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
here is the one he sells, I cant find it online

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That appears to be level 3plus, and not level 4.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That appears to be level 3plus, and not level 4.
View Quote

How can you tell? I would like the weight benefits of this type of armor but I want the protection too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Level IV has to defeat 30.06 AP round(s); that round is not listed on the label.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you guys be fine with this level of Protection? And comfortable wearing it? Also been thinking of getting these with a level IIIA soft armor behind the plate.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
IMO level III i just fine for 95% of use...level IV just introduces AP protection which I doubt many people own let alone use. Also depends on the NIJ certification to see if it is certified for drop or strike face protection, etc.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IMO level III i just fine for 95% of use...level IV just introduces AP protection which I doubt many people own let alone use. Also depends on the NIJ certification to see if it is certified for drop or strike face protection, etc.
View Quote

There is an in between usually referred to as III+.

Some are concerned M193 and M885 5.56 out of longer barrels at close range can defeat level III.

30.06 black tip AP is not a threat one would find usually, but the M193 and M855 is pretty common.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Some are concerned M193 and M885 5.56 out of longer barrels at close range can defeat level III.

30.06 black tip AP is not a threat one would find usually, but the M193 and M855 is pretty common.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have found online that these types of plates can take m855 and m193 hits
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link? Something is screwy with that label. Do you have a picture of the full label? Or a link with the detailed composition?

One thing is for certain: they are not a level IV Plate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking at this link:

http://bulletblocker.com/bulletblocker-nij-iii-bulletproof-standalone-strike-plates.html

The claim that this plate is Dyneema/Spectra only and will stop SS109 (Green Tip) is bullshit.

The claim that it is certified is also bullshit, at least per the certification letter from HP White that they post on that page. They do not appear anywhere on the NIJ compliance list, for a single product.

Best of all, the HP White test was not a certification test, nor was it even against a rifle round of any kind. Instead, they had the lab test against 9mm and .44 Magnum, which is a III-A standard and can easily be defeated by a Dyneema plate that weighs about 1 pound.

So... all bullshit attributable to either ignorance about armor or outright false claims. I hate when companies do that and I always wish them a speedy bankruptcy and exit from the industry, because I would rather see them go out that way than under a liability lawsuit after someone dies wearing their products.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Link? Something is screwy with that label. Do you have a picture of the full label? Or a link with the detailed composition?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing I cut out was the serial number
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Would you guys be fine with this level of Protection? And comfortable wearing it? Also been thinking of getting these with a level IIIA soft armor behind the plate.
View Quote

You really need to assess what your threats are and choose your armor based first on that criteria. Body armor is always a balance of protection, weight and comfort. Wear too much and you suffer from being made slow or otherwise less mobile. Wear too little and you may not be protected against likely threats.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]
so this stuff is level 3? and level 3 is higher then level 3a?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
so this stuff is level 3? and level 3 is higher then level 3a?
View Quote

Short answer. If you're talking hard armor, yeah.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Level IIIA (3A) armor is rated to stop common handgun rounds (9mm, .44 and .357 magnum, .38 spcl) and 12 Ga 'OO' buckshot. Level IIIA is the highest rated
'soft' armor.

Level III is the next higher level and is rated to stop various center fire rifle rounds (but not AP rounds). Level III and Level IV are plates.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Level IV standalone plates polyethylene can be bought, bulletproofme.com they sell them in a swimmers cut for $900 or so..........protech sells a level IV stand alone ceramic/aramid for about $1700 a plate.....mediums weight about 5.5lbs

SKD a couple years back sold level IV stand alones from BAE......these were a great buy 10x12 medium plates weigh about 5.5lbs and were sold for about $350 a plate

Level IV will defeat AP rounds........the plate you pictured isnt level IV
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I doubt very much that there are standalone level IV plates that are pure polyethylene, given that PE has so much difficulty stopping M855 rounds. The plates you listed use a ceramic strike face backed with PE to catch the shattered pieces of bullet and plate - not pure PE.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I doubt very much that there are standalone level IV plates that are pure polyethylene, given that PE has so much difficulty stopping M855 rounds. The plates you listed use a ceramic strike face backed with PE to catch the shattered pieces of bullet and plate - not pure PE.
View Quote

You don't have to doubt. They don't exist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top