Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2015 9:35:36 AM EDT
Hey guys,   I'm looking for a work jacket,  something akin to a Gen III ECWCS Gore-tex but in a SOLID color.  Something I can layer a fleece under, preferably waterproof and windproof…like I said, the ECWCS parka but in a coyote, or OD.  I know that Tru-spec makes one, but the reviews are extremely mixed.  Some love it, some hate it.  Anybody dyed a USGI gore-tex?  Wonder if that might be an option come to think of it…

Thanks for the help.

ka
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The cheap soft shells from Costco or wherever. I wear a fleece under a Condor Summit and a 511 softshell, Softshell from Walmart /Amazon. Have not been out for hours in driving rain, but just out in rain doing scene control for 10-45 minutes I have been dry and warm.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=100460
It's not the same...  but it's similar.    I got one free from a company I do work for and they work pretty decently.  They feel a lot tougher than a goretex, I started wearing it when I was worried my goretex would catch a snag.

ETA-  It was work for a pressure washing company that cleans cooling towers, the carhartt worked decent enough on exteriors, no major leaks.  IIRC it's got light neoprene cuffs that seal off normal amounts of water like rain.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Arcteryx Beta or Gamma depending if you need hard or softshell
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a soft-shell.  That works pretty good, unless it gets really windy…I think a hard shell is in order for really cold temps.

Holy Crap  Arcteryx likes their stuff, don't they?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=100460

It's not the same...  but it's similar.    I got one free from a company I do work for and they work pretty decently.  They feel a lot tougher than a goretex, I started wearing it when I was worried my goretex would catch a snag.

ETA-  It was work for a pressure washing company that cleans cooling towers, the carhartt worked decent enough on exteriors, no major leaks.  IIRC it's got light neoprene cuffs that seal off normal amounts of water like rain.
View Quote

Is there any lining inside or is it just a shell ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
What's your budget? You can get commercial gore tex in solid colors for a little over $100

Quoted:

View Quote

I have the longer Shoreline Coat and the sleeves are one of the best designs. Treated Nylon outer shell is definitely tough.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of?  It's not insulated, but it is lined with mesh in the body and IIRC a light smooth nylon down the armholes (and possibly shoulders) to make it easier to get on over layers.  I'd have to dig mine out of my gear bag to look.

Here's a pic I found
I know they DO make an insulated version, ex GF had one and it was pretty damn nice.  Not sure if it's still offered.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What's your budget? You can get commercial gore tex in solid colors for a little over $100

I have the longer Shoreline Coat and the sleeves are one of the best designs. Treated Nylon outer shell is definitely tough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh....  is there a differance?  Couldn't tell in the pics from the link...  

Whatever I have is pretty long.  Long enough that the tail covers my butt when I lean up against stuff, which is awesome!  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kind of?  It's not insulated, but it is lined with mesh in the body and IIRC a light smooth nylon down the armholes (and possibly shoulders) to make it easier to get on over layers.  I'd have to dig mine out of my gear bag to look.

Here's a pic I found http://www.idspecialties.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/J162-Inside.jpg

I know they DO make an insulated version, ex GF had one and it was pretty damn nice.  Not sure if it's still offered.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a pic I found http://www.idspecialties.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/J162-Inside.jpg

I like the un-insulated myself. Easier to regulate, add a fleece or whatever.

Did you buy a size up for layering or is already factored into the sizing already ?

I didn't know they made jacket like this.
I almost bought a Condor style jacket, glad I waited.

Thanks for the help

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Did you buy a size up for layering or is already factored into the sizing already ?

Thanks for the help

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Thanks for the help

I didn't buy it, it was a gift from a buddy, it's a company logo'd  jacket he got and it was way to big for him, as such it fits me perfectly

Just pulled the thing out of the car, I forgot the level of detail built into it...  Big chunky zipper, the front flap is two part to block wind, and the underside is folded back over and bartacked to make a lip to keep wind and rain from coming under the flap in side winds.  the chest zipper pocket is a gasket type to keep water from coming through.  Main zipper has a guard inside to keep the zipper off your skin when up all the way/ keep it from eating beard hair.  

As far as fit it's definitely IMHO cut for layering already.   I have a large/ Regular and it fits well at 6'2 230.  I can EASILY fit a fleece and softshell under it.  Both the body and sleeves are cut for it.

It fits pretty much like a military ECWS Goretex but the material *feels* tougher.  

Only dig on it is it doesn't have armpit zippers.  

It's not a bad jacket at all, it's definitely geared toward working in moderately shitty weather.  It's also machine washable with no special needs, so that is nice.  Goretex is great and I've been REALLY lucky with mine, but I know a lot of people who've had theirs shit the bed when it got worn and dirty.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top