Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 4:38:54 AM EDT
Hey gents-

Been thinking of getting into some training and some friendly competition in my local area and I don't have any gear, other than guns, mags, and ear-pro.  I need advice on a pistol holster, belt, clothing, sling, mag carrier, etc.  I'm not entirely new to this stuff, but my gear got lost in the move and frankly, it was crap anyway.  Consider me a fresh slate who isn't that good at this stuff anyway.

I'm probably going to participate in some local competition locally, which seems to be 2-gun.  Website here if you'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Now, I'm not sure what guns I'm going to run to start.  I don't have a lightweight 3-gun-ish rifle, nor a competition pistol.  So I'm probably going to run an SBR for now, either with a mk18 or 12.5 inch upper on it and either an aimpoint micro or a 4x ACOG.  I'll probably run my carry G19 or Sig 226 for the pistol.

I know I have a Magpul ms2 or ms3 sling around here somewhere, but I can't remember which.  I'm not sure if that's considered good tech anymore.

Can you guys give me a few recommendations on stuff that would work for me?  I prefer a slick rig, not a full plate-carrier, etc.  I guess I sort of envision a pair of decent breathable pants, a great belt, a strong-side holster, two rifle mag carriers weak-side and maybe a pistol mag carrier as well, and a decent sling, either 1 or 2 point (open to suggestions).  Throw a t-shirt on and that's what I'd probably run.  No vest, etc.

Budget is wide open, but I don't need the best...I'm not going to be any good at this for a while.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Before you go balls deep an invest a ton of money you should go to a few of the matches and meet some of the people.  They may let you borrow an old set of gear to try it out and see if you like it.

That said, if all you need is rifle and pistol mag carriers no need to go full bore Tactical Timmy.  I'd wear a nice stiff belt (preferably one that's re-enforced, Galco makes a fairly decently priced one for about $25), get some kydex pistol and rifle mag carriers (depending on how many rounds/reloads a stage would require probably 2 mags each), and a kydex holster (blade-tech, comp-tac, or G-code).  As for clothes, unless you have a dying need to buy new clothes just wear normal non-work casual clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.  Bringing along a set of knee pads might not be a bad idea for your first match incase they have you shooting from a knee.  It really sucks to take a knee on a sharp rock.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before you go balls deep an invest a ton of money you should go to a few of the matches and meet some of the people.  They may let you borrow an old set of gear to try it out and see if you like it.

That said, if all you need is rifle and pistol mag carriers no need to go full bore Tactical Timmy.  I'd wear a nice stiff belt (preferably one that's re-enforced, Galco makes a fairly decently priced one for about $25), get some kydex pistol and rifle mag carriers (depending on how many rounds/reloads a stage would require probably 2 mags each), and a kydex holster (blade-tech, comp-tac, or G-code).  As for clothes, unless you have a dying need to buy new clothes just wear normal non-work casual clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.  Bringing along a set of knee pads might not be a bad idea for your first match incase they have you shooting from a knee.  It really sucks to take a knee on a sharp rock.

View Quote

EXCELLENT advice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Get this molle belt, some cheap pistol and rifle pouches like these, and the blackhawk SERPA holster/strike mount for whatever pistol you carry. Should be less than 100 dollars total and it's a good place to start. I haven't ran mine in any classes yet, but I've worn it on the property where I shoot to see how it works, and so far I'm happy with it.

Replaced the Beretta with a glock 19 but you get the idea.

" />
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get this molle belt, some cheap pistol and rifle pouches like these, and the blackhawk SERPA holster/strike mount for whatever pistol you carry. Should be less than 100 dollars total and it's a good place to start. I haven't ran mine in any classes yet, but I've worn it on the property where I shoot to see how it works, and so far I'm happy with it.

http://<a href=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/jholdsworth71/IMG_1198_zps7e070d94.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

That Eagle Operator belt is not ideal for any form of Run n' Gun types of competition. With even the most reasonable and minimal load-out, it will sag worse than 60-year-old stripper tits.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That Eagle Operator belt is not ideal for any form of Run n' Gun types of competition. With even the most reasonable and minimal load-out, it will sag worse than 60-year-old stripper tits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/jholdsworth71/IMG_1198_zps7e070d94.jpg</a>" />

I've not had any problems with it sagging or rolling over.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
While far from optimal, something like what Duramaxman posted will work.  I used one similar to that belt for about a month deployed and gave up on it because in order to get it tight enough for the pouches not to have some flop/sag some.  I ended up putting everything onto my trousers belt, which is a 2" wide double thickness non-reinforced belt, and was a lot more confident and happy with that setup.  I'm looking to get a different MOLLE belt, but it's low on my list of priorities at the moment.

I'd also recommend against using a SERPA.  Many places do not allow you to use them for competitions for XYZ reason.  You may not like their decision but if you want to shoot there you have to play by their rules.  I've used SERPA's for years and I never had any issues, but I'm switching over to G-code holsters as my primary go-to's.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
While far from optimal, something like what Duramaxman posted will work.  I used one similar to that belt for about a month deployed and gave up on it because in order to get it tight enough for the pouches not to have some flop/sag some.  I ended up putting everything onto my trousers belt, which is a 2" wide double thickness non-reinforced belt, and was a lot more confident and happy with that setup.  I'm looking to get a different MOLLE belt, but it's low on my list of priorities at the moment.

I'd also recommend against using a SERPA.  Many places do not allow you to use them for competitions for XYZ reason.  You may not like their decision but if you want to shoot there you have to play by their rules.  I've used SERPA's for years and I never had any issues, but I'm switching over to G-code holsters as my primary go-to's.  
View Quote

The only reason I recommended serpa is because they're cheap and easy to attach to MOLLE. I agree the belt I showed is not ideal, but it's definitely not a terrible option either. I wanted something lower cost to get started, and it definitely fit the bill. I'm sure I"ll upgrade down the road, but for now it works.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't shoot in competitions, but I do have a pretty cool range on my farm. I bought a cheap molle chest rig from eBay and attached a kangaroo triple mag pouch to it. I made my own kydex holster and wear it on my pants belt. Works ok but the velcro on mag pouches are a little slow. Total cost was under $100
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
You need a stiff belt, x2 pistol mag pouches, x2 rifle mag pouches.  

Go with kydex, a lot of small outfits make kydex these days, it's easy to find what you need at competitive prices.  

A vest is completely unnecessary for 3-gun or a like competition, here's why:
It won't index your mags to locations you can reliably pull from.  It also restricts movement, will probably cost more, and adds unwanted weight.

A lot of small ebay home-business types can custom make what you need and will offer a buy it now option.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't give you a specific gear recommendation, but I can't fathom why you'd waste money on cheap crap if you were starting from scratch. Buy the minimal setup you need, but get half-decent stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with this.

Quoted:
You need a stiff belt, x2 pistol mag pouches, x2 rifle mag pouches.  

Go with kydex, a lot of small outfits make kydex these days, it's easy to find what you need at competitive prices.  

A vest is completely unnecessary for 3-gun or a like competition, here's why:
It won't index your mags to locations you can reliably pull from.  It also restricts movement, will probably cost more, and adds unwanted weight.

A lot of small ebay home-business types can custom make what you need and will offer a buy it now option.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can't give you a specific gear recommendation, but I can't fathom why you'd waste money on cheap crap if you were starting from scratch. Buy the minimal setup you need, but get half-decent stuff.

View Quote

This... Never understood why people buy stuff when they are planning to "upgrade"
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't go with a Serpa holster for any kind of competition unless I had a gun to my head either.

As others have said, kydex is a good starting point.  There's about a billion and two makers of kydex gear but blade tech and comp tac are the two that pop into my head first. I've used the paddle and international from comptac and they do the trick. I prefer my mag carriers with the tec locks as it makes them easy to move and it spaces the mags off my body enough to access them easily.  The comptac dual paddle mag carrier that comes with their completion kit places them too close to my body, so I'd avoid that one.

For belts, two piece reinforced belts are the best, but idpa doesn't allow them.  Avoid thin department store leather belts as they're very flimsy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

I have a couple training classes this year so I have been collecting some gear as well. With just the basics, its really not that expensive to get some good stuff.

Ares Ranger Belt- $90
Essac Pistol KYWI Double Pouch- $30
Essac Rifle KYWI- $23 x 2
Raven Concealment Moduloader- $50 (optional)

Right there is just over $200 and you have solid gear that you don't need to be replacing down the road.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1

I have a couple training classes this year so I have been collecting some gear as well. With just the basics, its really not that expensive to get some good stuff.

Ares Ranger Belt- $90

Right there is just over $200 and you have solid gear that you don't need to be replacing down the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Ares Ranger Belt- $90

1-1/2" Blackhawk Competition Belt $20

Uncle Mike's Double Magazine pistol pouch (injected mold plastic) $17

Blade Tech Revolution AR15 Double Magazine Holder $45

Or like that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd highly recommend checking out an event before spending money. I've only been to one multigun match, and I saw zero molle, zero camo, and a shitload of bright bright florescent colors and fancy team jerseys.

Get a good stiff pants belt, and a decent OWB holster if you don't already have them.I've been surprisingly impressed with the Fobus Evolution paddle holsters for around $25, though back when I was competing BladeTech and CompTac were the big brands at around $60 for the holster. The Galco Matrix series is decent also, but my personal favorite is the cheapie Fobus Evolution that I bought used for $10.

If you're just getting started, there's nothing wrong with reloading out of your pockets. It's not super competitive, but I can throw two pistol mags in my back left pocket and a rifle mag or two in a cargo pocket. You aren't going to win your first match, so just use it as a chance to learn. You'll probably have a MUCH better idea what you need after your first match.

Stay safe.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you all for your constructive replies.  I apologize for being absent from the discussion...It's been a helluva week.

I am definitely not interested in molle stuff or a serpa holster.

My IWB holster is a comptac...I'll probably look closely at them again for an OWB.  I'll review some the suggestions you guys made as well.

Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top