Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 3:24:24 PM EDT
Does anybody know if the ALICE was ever made in Ranger Green?

I found this:
http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1668

I am thinking of buying it, but I don't want to buy some knock-off.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:44:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Raf  im going to have to disagree with you on every point you made having rucked countless miles with both i can without a doubt say that the alice ruck outshines the molle in everyway  the shape of the molle ruck keeps you from getting it high enough on your back to be comfortable and the straps refuse to stay upfront on body armor making you loose circulation in your arms and the plastic frame will break if it takes any sort of heavy stress like dropping it on the floor after a long ruck infact the only thing the molle abomonation has thats better than the alice ruck is fastex buckles on the closing straps
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Raf  im going to have to disagree with you on every point you made having rucked countless miles with both i can without a doubt say that the alice ruck outshines the molle in everyway  the shape of the molle ruck keeps you from getting it high enough on your back to be comfortable and the straps refuse to stay upfront on body armor making you loose circulation in your arms and the plastic frame will break if it takes any sort of heavy stress like dropping it on the floor after a long ruck infact the only thing the molle abomonation has thats better than the alice ruck is fastex buckles on the closing straps
View Quote

I'm going to back you up, but add the MOLLE is larger.

I've never heard of the ALICE in RG, I'd be wary.  I do have one that was close but it was just the manufacturing for that specific ruck was off somehow not that it was manufactured to be RG.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anybody know if the ALICE was ever made in Ranger Green?

I found this:
http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1668

I am thinking of buying it, but I don't want to buy some knock-off.
View Quote

I dont know
but current issued ALICE gear is much more green in color compared to the 80s stuff that was really OD.
I dont have a pic now sorry
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your period key and shift key are broken. You should buy a new keyboard.

That being said, TAG used to offer their rucks in Ranger Green I believe, but I don't know if they still do.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
It says right in the ad that, while it was purchased as surplus, it appears to be a commercial product.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It says an "aftermarket pack purchased by the military". I am not sure what that means, but I did not take that to mean it does not meet USGI standards (which is what I am mostly concerned about).

I have also heard of complaints about the MOLLE II. The reason I want an ALICE is to strap a bolt action rilfle to. All my internal frame packs don't ride right when I do that. I notice snipers normally still use ALICE packs so I was thinking for the price of them it is worth a try.

All my gear is RG, but I'll probably go OD on this one just to make sure I don't get a knockoff.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldnt worry about getting a knock off most of its made by the people that had military contracts back when alice was standard issue
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
ask for a pic of the makers tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All of the things you mention were common to MOLLE I version.  The new frames, and the "Enhanced" shoulder straps made MOLLE II a MUCH better pack than MOLLE I.  I suggested a MOLLE II pack to the OP, in lieu of the ALICE he was thinking about.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the things you mention were common to MOLLE I version.  The new frames, and the "Enhanced" shoulder straps made MOLLE II a MUCH better pack than MOLLE I.  I suggested a MOLLE II pack to the OP, in lieu of the ALICE he was thinking about.

That part is true, still not as good as an ALICE for wearability IMHO but to each their own.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That part is true, still not as good as an ALICE for wearability IMHO but to each their own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a few thousand miles under both packs and I have no idea what you're talking about. The molle frame is taller, therefore allowing you to get it higher on your back than the alice (not to mention the new mole with the snow collar that allows you to build it up even higher) and the molle has a sternum strap which keeps the shoulder straps from killing your arm pits.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have a few thousand miles under both packs and I have no idea what you're talking about. The molle frame is taller, therefore allowing you to get it higher on your back than the alice (not to mention the new mole with the snow collar that allows you to build it up even higher) and the molle has a sternum strap which keeps the shoulder straps from killing your arm pits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My biggest problem has always been the waist belt with the MOLLE.  For the frame/shoulder straps to work as designed you really need that waist belt engaged vs. the ALICE the where waist belt is optional (at best). For road marching or PT, MOLLE hands down but once I put an IBA on I look for my ALICE which I think was the OP's question.   It's not like the ALICE is the perfect solution either, it's not, it just works better for me in kit.  I've heard good things about the mysteryranch BVS but haven't been able to try one for myself, looks like a step in the right direction.

Either way I'm not here to call anyone wrong or step on toes (I'm not that SGM) but ALICE works better for ME in an IBA than the MOLLE does.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Fair enough, but you should always use the waist belt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anybody have any experience strapping a bolt action rifle to either of these packs? Which is better for that application?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anybody have any experience strapping a bolt action rifle to either of these packs? Which is better for that application?
View Quote

Old Grouch harries the original rifle carriers for the Alice packs.  Don't know how well they work (but I bought 2 anyway.)
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Myself and guys in my platoon have tried Kifaru Gunbearers, various ways of carrying them on mystery ranch rucks, vertically on eberlestock rucks, but pretty much the consensus is the Alice pack of various brands seem to be the most secure ruck to carry a bolt gun. We T-bone them across the top and they stay there. Even with a partially filled ruck they still seem to hold well. I've carried bolt guns and a .50 cal SASR (separately) on many ops with no problems. Wasn't the most comfortable ruck, but was secure. There is a definite trade off in comfort.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top