Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 7:25:22 PM EDT
I know, odd title, I just wanted to be sure I covered all the bases.

I have carried a briefcase of some sort for the past ten years. The thing finally broke, and I'm looking to replace it.

The only features I'm really looking for is a zipper on top, it can't have molle webbing covering the whole thing, and that the bag be fairly rigid.

I have been looking at the Maxpedition Handler Kit bag, as it is similar to the briefcase I've been using, and the Maxpedition Larkspur.

I tried the Maxpedition Mongo Versipack, and that just wasn't my style. At all.

Also, it lives in the back seat of my truck 90% of the time.

I carry on body, so specific ccw pockets aren't necessary, but would be a plus since I can always throw something else in there when traveling.

Very much open to other options, and as usual, pics are always welcomed.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Click the link.
Lot's of info.

Link
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Click the link.
Lot's of info.

Link
View Quote

That's a great resource on large BOB's, but I am not really trying to drag a 70lb frame pack to the office.

I am am really just trying to find another edc type bag.

I also tried that Maxpedition Siska/Sitka (sp?) And the Maxpedition Monsoon, and I realized that at that point I might as well carry a backpack if I was going to go the whole gear-slinger route. If I go to a backpack, it just motivates me to get a larger pack filled with all the doo-dads, and I'll still need an edc type bag

An over the shoulder bag suits my needs just fine, I just need to find a new one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You can still get some info from the thread.
Lot's ideas in there.

Lot's of people use the LAPG Bailout Bag for a EDC type setup.
It's a small hand carry bag.

Trying to help out is all.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can still get some info from the thread.
Lot's ideas in there.

Lot's of people use the LAPG Bailout Bag for a EDC type setup.
It's a small hand carry bag.

Trying to help out is all.
View Quote

Very helpful. I haven't seen that thread before, and am about 3/4 the way through it.

I say that that link was helpful, but it damn sure isn't helpful to my wallet

I actually have the LAPG bag on order, should be here in the next few days. From what I've read and seen, it is damn near what I'm looking for, I'm just trying to get some folks reviews on something a little more .... refined I guess.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you looked at the Vertx bags?  I was looking for something low profile that would still give me plenty of options for carrying gear, so I  orderd their EDC Gamut hopefully it comes in a week or so.  They also have a lot of othere bags and cases to check out.

Vertx bags
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep a Tac Tailor removable operator pack in my truck as a Get-Home-Bag.  It has some cold weather gear, 2x field-stripped MRE's, water, trauma supplies, spare pistol mag, and other small survival items.  There's also a softshell jacket.

I also have a concealable soft armor carrier in the truck at all times.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 5.11 bail out bag that works for me, mostly use it for back and forth to the range
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm using a tool bag from lowes , looks at home in the back of a truck. Heavy dutty zippers . Good reinforcments built in to bottom and handle area.
Zippers designed to come together with eyelets for a lock

I have a few different style bags depending on where I'm going , how long I might be gone
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
This is what in use. Have had it in use 5 days a week, including travel to the office and out of town for the last 3 years and it looks as good as the day I bought it. It is the 5.11 Rush Messenger.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is what in use. Have had it in use 5 days a week, including travel to the office and out of town for the last 3 years and it looks as good as the day I bought it. It is the 5.11 Rush Messenger.

http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com/files/56962-511-rush-delivery-messenger-bag-black.jpg
View Quote

I have been using this one as well for around 3 years. Great bag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:24:54 AM EDT
[#12]
To the OP's question-

LAPG Bailout Bag - for all the special goodies

My work laptop bag has some other applicable items - Pelican U100

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife and I use my old LAPG bail out bag as our son's diaper bag.  We only carry what we need in it and restock off of our vehicle for more diapers, clothes, wipes, ect.  Prior to it being used as a diaper bag it was my old range/DEMO bag.

We did get a jumbo BOB to try out as well, but my wife found it to be more unweildly for her to carry.  She also has a bad habit where if there's a pocket or empty space more stuff gets shoved in there than is needed.  I'm probably going to convert it into a vehicle FAK.  I found it to be to big for a range/DEMO bag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Eagle Industries E&E , which I think suits your needs very well

I now carry this because tha felt too purse like for me.

Mystery ranch ASAP with spade lock
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I use an LBT 3-day pack, similar size as the LAPG but FAR nicer quality (I have both). Can't say I'd want a briefcase type bag for a GHB, but everyone has different goals/preferences/ideas.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use an LBT 3-day pack, similar size as the LAPG but FAR nicer quality (I have both). Can't say I'd want a briefcase type bag for a GHB, but everyone has different goals/preferences/ideas.
View Quote

I definitely don't. When you have to move a lot of gear over a fair distance frame packs are the bee's knees.

The briefcase I have been using, was similar to an old-school doctors bag. Close to this one:

That's one reason I really want to force myself to get a Maxpedition Kit bag. It is like my old briefcase (steel frame opening and everything), I just want to see what everybody else is using, and see if there's something that catches my eye.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I leave a USMC ILBE Assault Pack in my truck, plus I also use it for day hikes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com/files/56962-511-rush-delivery-messenger-bag-black.jpg

I've been looking around online at this one tonight and it seems like a pretty decent product, I just have a couple questions if y'all don't mind.

As I said before, I do carry on body, but the option to throw another pistol in there while traveling is very appealing.
- How much padding is there on the "Hidden CCW compartment?" I don't really like the idea of setting the bag down and have a pistol clack against the floor, or against the other items in the bag.

-Do you think that the bag has too many pockets? More pockets means more organized, but at the same time, more pockets means more places to lose stuff, and then there's the whole idea of "empty pocket? Better fill it." I am doing my best to not make this thing a 50lb "I can live out of this damn thing for a month" bag.

Has anyone use the Maxpedition Tactical Attaches, or their Messenger bag?

Thanks again for the recommendations, y'all have been very helpful.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I use a maxpedition monsoon. It holds my laptop and other work related crap. I have been using it for traveling lately also. I really like the single strap which can be worn with the pack on your chest when sitting on a bus etc. I also got the universal holster for the CCW pocket.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#21]
See my responses in RED below.  Hope they help - let me know if you have specific questions or want a photo of the velcro lined concealed pocket.

Quoted:

I've been looking around online at this one tonight and it seems like a pretty decent product, I just have a couple questions if y'all don't mind.

As I said before, I do carry on body, but the option to throw another pistol in there while traveling is very appealing.
- How much padding is there on the "Hidden CCW compartment?" I don't really like the idea of setting the bag down and have a pistol clack against the floor, or against the other items in the bag. There is velcro in the hidden compartment and I purchased a holster/strap that had velcro on it.  My mags and pistol do not "roll around" in that compartment because they are affixed exactly where I want them and in what position/orientation I desire.

-Do you think that the bag has too many pockets? More pockets means more organized, but at the same time, more pockets means more places to lose stuff, and then there's the whole idea of "empty pocket? Better fill it." I am doing my best to not make this thing a 50lb "I can live out of this damn thing for a month" bag. Too many pockets?  I haven't thought it had too many or too few.  I use some all the time, some get used periodically, and some have never been filled.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- How much padding is there on the "Hidden CCW compartment?" I don't really like the idea of setting the bag down and have a pistol clack against the floor, or against the other items in the bag. There is velcro in the hidden compartment and I purchased a holster/strap that had velcro on it.  My mags and pistol do not "roll around" in that compartment because they are affixed exactly where I want them and in what position/orientation I desire.

-Do you think that the bag has too many pockets? More pockets means more organized, but at the same time, more pockets means more places to lose stuff, and then there's the whole idea of "empty pocket? Better fill it." I am doing my best to not make this thing a 50lb "I can live out of this damn thing for a month" bag. Too many pockets?  I haven't thought it had too many or too few.  I use some all the time, some get used periodically, and some have never been filled.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Grey Ghost Gear Lightweight assault pack.

I want to switch to a more discrete pack
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a decent amount of padding in the ccw compartment? I'll more than likely have a full size polymer gun in a kydex holster mounted in there, and don't want to end up smashing the thing around all the time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Eagle Industries E&E , which I think suits your needs very well
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee421/mtnbkr5234/39d08a8e701f48acdb669eff5c215adc_zps58d56835.jpg
View Quote

I have this exact same bag.  Big enough to hold what I need, but not too big that I won't overstuff it.  Rock solid construction.  Grey color is a nice non-descript color.  Good features without being crazy.  Did I mention price?  Check out Natchezss to grab this for a good deal.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#25]

That way I look just like all the other computer geeks out there....
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
If you've been carrying a briefcase all these years I assume you need to look more professional.  I use a top loading laptop case but I don't carry a laptop.  The laptop portion is padded and "felt" lined, I use Velcro to attach my holster, couple spare mags, and flashlight.  Pistol stays protected and I never open that section unless its warranted, clients are none the wiser.

An example:
Laptop briefcase
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you've been carrying a briefcase all these years I assume you need to look more professional.  I use a top loading laptop case but I don't carry a laptop.  The laptop portion is padded and "felt" lined, I use Velcro to attach my holster, couple spare mags, and flashlight.  Pistol stays protected and I never open that section unless its warranted, clients are none the wiser.

An example:
Laptop briefcase
View Quote

In my case, it is the opposite, 99% of the time, I'm covered in dirt, dust, and metal shavings. Well, I guess in my line of work, that would be looking professional

I've never considered that. In lieu of my briefcase, I've been carrying my Dell laptop bag, but I think I'm going to start leaving that at the house, since it has a large "Dell" logo on it. Don't really want people to start looking at the bag in hopes of getting an expensive computer, but a laptop bag would be a great idea, with all of the extra padding and support.

I guess I have a whole new category of stuff to look at.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You might consider this:http://www.specopsbrand.com/on-the-move/messenger-bags/t-h-e-messenger-bag-xl.html  They have a smaller version as well, which costs less.  The yellow inside lining is surprisingly effective.

The quality and materials should be more than adequate for your needs.
View Quote

Damnit that looks like it would be perfect! I just wish it didn't have the webbing all over the front of it.

Does anyone have any experience with removing molle webbing?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Damnit that looks like it would be perfect! I just wish it didn't have the webbing all over the front of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You might consider this:http://www.specopsbrand.com/on-the-move/messenger-bags/t-h-e-messenger-bag-xl.html  They have a smaller version as well, which costs less.  The yellow inside lining is surprisingly effective.

Why bother?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why bother?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why bother?

I'm not into the whole super tactical look. The webbing on the 5.11 bag is ok, but the webbing all over the place on the specops is a turn off.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm not into the whole super tactical look. The webbing on the 5.11 bag is ok, but the webbing all over the place on the specops is a turn off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why bother?

Molle has been around for a long time now.  It isn't really super-tactical, it's just a grid of nylon.  For survival and utilitarian purposes, it can be useful as hook-up points.  
Hell, I've seen females with civilian backpacks in college that have molle.  Shit, you can get molle backpacks at wal mart now. :)

This may be another option with much less visible molle.  And the molle it does have could be easily covered.  I'm not sure about it beyond that though.
http://www.skdtac.com/HawkePaks-Recon-Rifle-Bag-p/hkp.505.htm

Maybe this? http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-300-Round-Linked-Ammunition-7-62-Feed-p/fsr.513.htm
ETA: Actually that one looks pretty small.

This looks nice -  http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/packs8.html#charge
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Got the LAPG bag today, and damn this thing is about perfect! I can't think of anything I'd add to it. I guess this is a keeper!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Got the LAPG bag today, and damn this thing is about perfect! I can't think of anything I'd add to it. I guess this is a keeper!
View Quote
Their Bailout bag I assume? Pics when you get some stuff in it? I'm looking hard at that one or MidwayUSA's....

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Their Bailout bag I assume? Pics when you get some stuff in it? I'm looking hard at that one or MidwayUSA's....   http://www.midwayusa.com/product/579089/midwayusa-bail-out-bag

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their Bailout bag I assume? Pics when you get some stuff in it? I'm looking hard at that one or MidwayUSA's....   http://www.midwayusa.com/product/579089/midwayusa-bail-out-bag

Yep.
No problem.
Give me about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep.
No problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
No problem.

Frontal pic:
Two Sharpies, a pen, full pockets, and a cigar tube in the flashlight pocket. It actually sits down further, just pulled it up for pic. Two water bottles on one side, and can fit two more on other side.

Other side:
Rolled up beanie in one ar mag pocket, chapstick and multiple pairs of earplugs in top pocket, IFAK in other mag pocket, and I am keeping an AC phone charger in bottom pocket.

Inside:
I have the divider unfolded, so there's three compartments, and in the smallest one, I have the contents of my dopp kit, with plenty of room to spare in the rest of the pocket. The other two divided pockets are HUGE, I just haven't filled the pockets yet. In the pocket near my hand, the white box is a 50rd box of .44 Mag for size comparison. I can fit three more in that pocket alone.

CCW pocket:

BIG. Have no problem fitting full size glock in it + spare mags. Same .44 Mag box of ammo for size comparison.

If you have any requests for specific pics, let me know.

I will definitely recommend this bag. First impression is that it's heavy, in a good way. This thing isn't made from cheap ass canvas like a rothco bag or anything, and holds it's shape very well. The zippers don't bind, and they slide along very easily.

Also, the stitching is very nice. Definitely well worth the $20 + shipping charges.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yep.
No problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yep.
No problem.
Thnx!

Quoted:

Frontal pic:
Two Sharpies, a pen, full pockets, and a cigar tube in the flashlight pocket. It actually sits down further, just pulled it up for pic. Two water bottles on one side, and can fit two more on other side.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/TehLefty/LAPGBag4_zps97620035.jpg

Other side:
Rolled up beanie in one ar mag pocket, chapstick and multiple pairs of earplugs in top pocket, IFAK in other mag pocket, and I am keeping an AC phone charger in bottom pocket.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/TehLefty/LAPGBag2_zpsd2f342ca.jpg

Inside:
I have the divider unfolded, so there's three compartments, and in the smallest one, I have the contents of my dopp kit, with plenty of room to spare in the rest of the pocket. The other two divided pockets are HUGE, I just haven't filled the pockets yet. In the pocket near my hand, the white box is a 50rd box of .44 Mag for size comparison. I can fit three more in that pocket alone.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/TehLefty/LAPGBag1_zps58bd8679.jpg

CCW pocket:

BIG. Have no problem fitting full size glock in it + spare mags. Same .44 Mag box of ammo for size comparison.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/TehLefty/LAPGBag_zps9f6ac7ac.jpg

I will definitely recommend this bag. First impression is that it's heavy, in a good way. This thing isn't made from cheap ass canvas like a rothco bag or anything, and holds it's shape very well. The zippers don't bind, and they slide along very easily.

Also, the stitching is very nice. Definitely well worth the $20 + shipping charges.

Bad ass!! Will 2 PMags fit in the mag pockets ok? or will it have to be GI Mags?

Think i'll order me a black one right now!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought one of those bags about 5 years ago, when it was imported/sold by Fox Tactical. It's been in and out of several different pickups and overloaded pretty much from day one. I used it for a long time and it was great, it just wasn't great for moving, so opted for a different setup. The quality/price/functionality of that bag is amazing.

I use a 5.11 Push and a 5.11 Rush now, which I like very much.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thnx!

Bad ass!! Will 2 PMags fit in the mag pockets ok? or will it have to be GI Mags?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.
No problem.
Thnx!

Quoted:

Frontal pic:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/TehLefty/LAPGBag4_zps97620035.jpg

Other side:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/TehLefty/LAPGBag2_zpsd2f342ca.jpg

Inside:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/TehLefty/LAPGBag1_zps58bd8679.jpg

CCW pocket:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/TehLefty/LAPGBag_zps9f6ac7ac.jpg

To be honest, I'm not sure. I only have one PMAG.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got the LA Police gear bag .. it has served me well. No complaints!

Metallitera........ I can get two Pmags in the mag pouches...  and or the USGI's fit fine as well. I can also get one AK74 mag per pouch... I had to make hook and loop extensions (used inside the pouch to extend the flap) to get the flaps to close on the 74 mags...
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You need more then since you have "none" lol
One is none, two is one

Quoted:

Metallitera........ I can get two Pmags in the mag pouches...  and or the USGI's fit fine as well. I can also get one AK74 mag per pouch... I had to make hook and loop extensions (used inside the pouch to extend the flap) to get the flaps to close on the 74 mags...

Awesome! thnx!

Got one on the way!

Now to find either a cheap G17 or a G17 slide for my G34 so I can keep a pistol in the bag.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#43]
FWIW the plastic swivel clips on the shoulder strap will "squeak" on this bag.  You can cut them off and use 550 cord if it bothers you, or make them non-swivel clips by injecting some glue into the swivel portion.  That said I've never had one of them break, but if they do I'd probably them with some metal HK snap hooks

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those mag pockets also fit (1) .308 mag.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Welp I got here too late but I'll post this in case anyone else is looking for a quality bag.

http://www.vanquest.com/products/envoy-2-0-aka-gofer-1-0-messenger-bag.html

details

The new ENVOY™ 2.0 messenger bag continues the design of our original ENVOY 1.0 messenger that was considered to be one of the best messenger bags made for everyday carry.

With the same exterior measurements and upgraded parts, the new ENVOY™ 2.0 sports a more streamlined look, weighs less (8 oz. lighter than the original ENVOY™), and comes with a removable shoulder strap that has been improved on both stability, ergonomics, and upgradable to our new GT-COBRA™ Sling system.

For ultimate durability, the bag is made of 1000-D Cordura® fabric with water-repellent Teflon® protestor by DuPont®, high-visibility 210-D Ripstop Nylon interior, and YKK® zippers.

The padded main compartment fits up to a 15" laptop. Its top zipper opening allows quick-access to your personal items such as tablets, notepads, folders, pens/markers, multi-tools and folding knives without opening the flap. It is loaded with over 20 compartments for storage. It also features side attachment points, luggage handle pass-through with hidden pockets, front admin panel, and plenty of hook-and-loop field for CCW accessory attachment.

ENVOY™ 2.0 is fully expandable: MOLLE/PALS compatible accessories can be attached on to webbing surface using our 5" MOLLE Sticks. Optional Drop-In Organizer enhances the bag’s internal organization for your range gear or DSLR camera system. Furthermore, you can instantly turn your ENVOY™ 2.0 into a bike-messenger-style bag that rides comfortably on your back, and switchable between right- and left-shoulder with an optional GT-COBRA™ Sling that uses THE world-renowned ITW / AustriAlpin GT-COBRA™ buckle that's non-metalic, crush-proof, and rated at 500-pound tensile strength!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top