Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2014 8:02:25 PM EDT
I've got a couple of extra vest lying around and need one for callouts once am on the road with my dog. I want one that I can grab and put on over whatever I'm already wearing. I've got a Galls MOLLE carrier and don't much care for it. I've been looking at a few different ones and wondering if anyone had any suggestions (or ones to stay away from).

#1 choice: Armor Systems Bulldog. That got shot down as soon as I saw they run $750 just for the carrier.
I know they're cheaper, but how about the VooDoo or Condor armor carriers? The Condor EXO looks like it might be OK.

I've already got an Eagle plate carrier but it won't hold soft armor. Just plates. I want to set this one up in a similar manner with trauma kit, mag pouches, light pouch, and yeah...kong ball pouch.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been using a tactical tailor LPAC for a raid vest for the last 5 years.  No complaints except for the price unless you get them on sale.  They work with most concealment/soft armor and have the option of installing plates as well if needed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Gator Hawk and Safariland (ABA) make decent ones. TAG/Shellback makes one called the Aggressor that I used for a while. Pretty nice, can also take plates, and goes on fast. All 3 use your concealable soft panels.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Have a basic Tactical Tailor MOLLE-covered soft armor carrier.

I would not recommend-
- The front and back armor pockets are linked with shoulder straps and then one-inch nylon webbing on sides with fastex buckles - the one-inch nylon gets tangled, is slow to don and just cheesy
- The front and back armor panel pockets are fairly short - my Medium Long armor won't fit (ABA I think). Regular length 44 does fit.
- Generally floppy with Regular length 44 panels.

Lots of people hate on Condor - some deserved, some not IMHO. The only advantage I see in Condor over reputable U.S. manufacturers is the availability to find locally and try on. VooDoo I have seen is mostly crap.

I'd check on Soldier Systems for vendors/rigs - basically there isn't anything that sucks there. Use the search function.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
While I am at it, Shellback-TAG makes nice gear, but a raving @ssholes at customer service.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions. After many hours of looking, I think I've settled on the ABA/Second Chance tactical outer carrier. Planning on ordering one today.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I will say some armor gots better than others in these. I had one (the ABA carrier) ordered to my armor and the shop still had to alter it to fit right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top