Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 2:19:48 PM EDT
How are the PIG gloves, as far as overall toughness goes?  I know that they are pretty well tops in dexterity, and feel, but haven't ever seen a pair in person.  Just didn't know if they were something that would wear quickly, and need a couple of pairs off the bat.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine have lasted longer than I expected them to. They aren't as durable as a pair if Mechanix or OR gloves, but IMO the gains in dexterity are worth it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
While the PIG FDT-Alpha/Alpha Touch Gloves will be some of the highest quality gloves you own, given the nature of the job we expect them to do, they are NOT designed to outlast the Apocalypse. We believe that the trade off in extreme dexterity and sensitivity for perceived durability is well worth it, and far better than the old-school “cut off the finger tips” or “go bare handed” solutions.

At the end of the day, the PIG FDT-Alpha/Alpha Touch Gloves are a consumable product that will provide the user with the best tactile dexterity available in a tactical glove, and should be worn to destruction, then discarded and replaced. The selection of super sensitive materials and extremely tight seams mean that these gloves will eventually wear out, and there are no warranties implied. Please try them on and inspect them thoroughly for fit and finish before removing from the hangtag, but be forewarned, you will not want to take them off.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I absolutely loved shooting in mine, but they wore out so fast that I actually think I got a defective pair.

I made it seven or eight range trips (not even a class) before I started splitting stitches. Friends who ordered them at the same time are still running strong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Decent life span, great dexterity, overall a good glove.

One thing I will tell you; dont get the Alpha touch ones (has the silver unicorn pube thread in the finger tips). The very first time I used the gloves the silver threads frayed and it wasnt a tough training day.
I ended up picking out all the thread and they are good to go. The regular PIG gloves work fine on touch screens, so I wouldnt spring for the extra money for the "touch".

Only other personal complaint is I wish the the cuff was a tiny bit longer on the wrist, but just personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine seem to be holding up decent. I don't have a whole lot of time on them but I haven't been easy on them either.

Would buy again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine seem to be holding up decent. I don't have a whole lot of time on them but I haven't been easy on them either.

Would buy again.
View Quote

+1.  I would really buy another one....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#7]
PIG glovers are all you'll ever need,,,,,,,

They seriously make love to your hands and fingers........
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have once pair of Multicam Mechanix and PIG Gloves in Tan and Ranger Green with the silver thread in the finger tips..

The PIG are a tighter fit, not tight like you cant move but tight as in no extra bunched up material which is nice. Also has some nice holes for letting your hands breath and joints. Def not very durable, i mean its not going to rip the first time you wear them, these arent throw away like a latex glove but they dont compare to real leather padded work gloves. Also has padded knuckles which is nice.

The Mechanix gloves are tight but does have some excess material in spots. They also dont breathe as well but that can be nice when the weather is a bit colder. Main reason i bought them was because they are the only decent glove offered in multicam.

Personally i prefer the PIG gloves and are IMO the best tactical gloves on the market but do use mechanix on occasion as well as they are a close second.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a pair that has held up so far through a spur ride, EIB trainup, team and squad live fires, and several ranges. A few guys have asked where I got them or tried to buy them off me.

My pair showed up with a tear along the seam but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of shipping them back and waiting on another pair. The tear has grown just a little bit but the gloves are still functional. Some wear is starting to show on the finger tips and I will echo the sentiment that I wish they were a little longer in the wrist cuff area.

I like the bar tacked loops which allow me to hang the gloves off my IOTV. The nose wipe material is great too; I use it every damn time.

I have another pair waiting on the sidelines but I don't think I'll need for awhile.

The bottom line is I'd recommend SKD's PIG Gloves.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had the PIG gloves for about three months now. I'm not beating the crap out of them beyond just range use and general wear around town a bit.  I do have some fraying that is starting to take place at the finger tips (very slight).  I find them very form fitting (like a second skin) and very easy to shoot with (it is different than shooting without gloves, but the thumb webbing is tight enough that it's pretty easy still to shoot).  Great finger tips especially in the trigger finger where it counts and of course it's so nice to be able to use your smart phone with them especially since I use a Surefire Shot Timer App right now. Highly breathable, but they offer very little protection in cold weather so definitely more of a summer/spring/early fall glove around here.  

Price is a little much in my opinion, but for what they are you'll be hard pressed to find anything better out there right now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I used these gloves to load truck loads of stuff, from entire pallets of water bottles, to folded packs of HESCOs when a FOB was shutting down and we had to grab everythung we could ebfore the ANSF took over the base.
Those HESCOs are no joke if you have ever tried to load them up to a truck with just two people and my PIG held together very well.
Three hours of heavy lifting nonstop and my gloves are still in my Go Bag.
These are really awesome gloves; I already bought a second pair during my last leave this month
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey guys- I prolly shouldn't be working on Thanksgiving, but I'm thankful for work so I guess this post is in keeping with today's traditions

Lots of good comments here and I’d like to chime in.  There is a near inverse relationship between dexterity and durability.  Trust me when I say we can make a glove that is super durable- it's actually quite easy.  In fact it would be a LOT less expensive to make as well.  The basic formula for more durability is simpler design, fewer pieces and thicker materials.  However, the dexterity would not compare at all.  It isn't a matter of workmanship either- our gloves are made in the same building as other gloves mentioned here, as well as some of the most technical and expensive gloves in the world (think F1 racing- costing hundreds of dollars).  

So the goal behind designing the PIG gloves was simple: If you carry a gun professionally (or as matter of personal practice), and you have to wear gloves, your life can depend on having to shoot quickly and accurately.  And when you consider that most people's shooting and gun-handling abilities severely degrade when gloves are worn (especially handgun), we wanted to make gloves that offered as close to bare-handed shooting dexterity as possible, while offering protection.  We're very proud of the result and we will be introducing our FR model gloves (made of nomex and leather) at SHOT.

Regarding the touch feature- I can operate my smart phone without the touch thread.  It's partly a function of the thinness of the Clarino we use on the trigger finger- it’s the thinnest available for trigger sensitivity.  However, it's also because I carry the recessive Smartphone gene in my DNA and have some bio-chemical mojo that makes it possible without the silver thread.  Armylifer apparently has this gene as well.  But for most folks out there, the magic simply doesn't happen unless you have conductive material.  I don't know the scientific explanation for it- it has something to do with everyone's different electro-magnetic field and moisture levels on the skin- but I know it doesn't work for most people.

Finally, with regard to the silver conductive thread.  It will get fuzzy over time, plain and simple.  It freaks some folks out when this happens because it looks like something has gone awry, but rest assured the silver thread still works (sometimes it feels like it works even better when its fuzzy) and if you want to clean it up, you can touch it up it lightly with a cigarette lighter.  The biggest thing that causes the fuzz is velcro- and when half the shit we handle in the tactical community has velcro on it, the silver thread will fray.  Why still use it then?  It is still the best conductive solution that doesn’t negatively alter the dexterity and feel of the trigger finger.  If you see other gloves that are out there with conductive materials, the finger tips are made of different materials, often times thicker and more rigid, and invariably with a seam (folded over edge of materials that builds up thickness).  Even worse are some of the hard discs that are embedded in the fingertips to operate smart phones.  Bottom line is with a shooting glove, we didn't want anything built up in/around your nose picker when trigger sensitivity is the most important thing to shooting accurately.  

I have a Gen 1 pair from 2 years ago that I still wear to this day.  The seam along the knuckles popped and exposed some foam after a few months of hard use (this was before we started using stretch cordura) and the vent holes in the trigger finger are markedly more worn than the other fingers that have thicker material (I find it kinduv cool when you see the different wear rates happening just as expected with different thickness materials).   While this pair won’t win beauty contests, I don’t know the difference in performance when I’m wearing them.  Point is, everyone’s threshold for replacing gloves is different, but you’ll know when you know.

Bottom line is this- if you are serious about your shooting ability and gloves are a part of your kit, then we ask you to do a simple test.  Run our gloves against any other “tactical” glove on the market in a known shooting standard under time with a handgun.  Anecdotal comments aside, the timer and targets don’t lie and we’ll hold our gloves against any in this results-based environment.  

As for the OP's original question on how many to buy, you wont need a replacement for a while, but you may want to take advantage of a deal when it presents itself.  Wages and costs in production have increased, and while we've kept the price where it's at, eventually we'll likely see a price increase.  Couple that with our Black Friday event starting tomorrow, and I'd say it's not a bad time to get a second pair.  

Thanks for reading and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

View Quote

I'm thankful for your post this Thanksgiving. I just learned a lot.

Yeah, I'll be picking up a second pair. My wife and I both own a set now and she loves them as well.  What I would love is if you guys could do something in the Winter Glove realm working magic, physics, chemistry, whatever to make an acceptable winter insulated glove.  I've got a pair of OR gloves coming, but I just know even though they're known for being high quality I'm not going to like the bulk for shooting, but I'll like it better than frost bite.  This is suppose to be one long and harsh winter up here. So far, it's shaping up that way and I know I'm going to be shooting outdoors during some single digit days for a couple hours at a stretch..I really need to live somewhere warmer.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:02:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey guys- I prolly shouldn't be working on Thanksgiving, but I'm thankful for work so I guess this post is in keeping with today's traditions

Lots of good comments here and I’d like to chime in.  There is a near inverse relationship between dexterity and durability.  Trust me when I say we can make a glove that is super durable- it's actually quite easy.  In fact it would be a LOT less expensive to make as well.  The basic formula for more durability is simpler design, fewer pieces and thicker materials.  However, the dexterity would not compare at all.  It isn't a matter of workmanship either- our gloves are made in the same building as other gloves mentioned here, as well as some of the most technical and expensive gloves in the world (think F1 racing- costing hundreds of dollars).  

So the goal behind designing the PIG gloves was simple: If you carry a gun professionally (or as matter of personal practice), and you have to wear gloves, your life can depend on having to shoot quickly and accurately.  And when you consider that most people's shooting and gun-handling abilities severely degrade when gloves are worn (especially handgun), we wanted to make gloves that offered as close to bare-handed shooting dexterity as possible, while offering protection.  We're very proud of the result and we will be introducing our FR model gloves (made of nomex and leather) at SHOT.

Regarding the touch feature- I can operate my smart phone without the touch thread.  It's partly a function of the thinness of the Clarino we use on the trigger finger- it’s the thinnest available for trigger sensitivity.  However, it's also because I carry the recessive Smartphone gene in my DNA and have some bio-chemical mojo that makes it possible without the silver thread.  Armylifer apparently has this gene as well.  But for most folks out there, the magic simply doesn't happen unless you have conductive material.  I don't know the scientific explanation for it- it has something to do with everyone's different electro-magnetic field and moisture levels on the skin- but I know it doesn't work for most people.

Finally, with regard to the silver conductive thread.  It will get fuzzy over time, plain and simple.  It freaks some folks out when this happens because it looks like something has gone awry, but rest assured the silver thread still works (sometimes it feels like it works even better when its fuzzy) and if you want to clean it up, you can touch it up it lightly with a cigarette lighter.  The biggest thing that causes the fuzz is velcro- and when half the shit we handle in the tactical community has velcro on it, the silver thread will fray.  Why still use it then?  It is still the best conductive solution that doesn’t negatively alter the dexterity and feel of the trigger finger.  If you see other gloves that are out there with conductive materials, the finger tips are made of different materials, often times thicker and more rigid, and invariably with a seam (folded over edge of materials that builds up thickness).  Even worse are some of the hard discs that are embedded in the fingertips to operate smart phones.  Bottom line is with a shooting glove, we didn't want anything built up in/around your nose picker when trigger sensitivity is the most important thing to shooting accurately.  

I have a Gen 1 pair from 2 years ago that I still wear to this day.  The seam along the knuckles popped and exposed some foam after a few months of hard use (this was before we started using stretch cordura) and the vent holes in the trigger finger are markedly more worn than the other fingers that have thicker material (I find it kinduv cool when you see the different wear rates happening just as expected with different thickness materials).   While this pair won’t win beauty contests, I don’t know the difference in performance when I’m wearing them.  Point is, everyone’s threshold for replacing gloves is different, but you’ll know when you know.

Bottom line is this- if you are serious about your shooting ability and gloves are a part of your kit, then we ask you to do a simple test.  Run our gloves against any other “tactical” glove on the market in a known shooting standard under time with a handgun.  Anecdotal comments aside, the timer and targets don’t lie and we’ll hold our gloves against any in this results-based environment.  

As for the OP's original question on how many to buy, you wont need a replacement for a while, but you may want to take advantage of a deal when it presents itself.  Wages and costs in production have increased, and while we've kept the price where it's at, eventually we'll likely see a price increase.  Couple that with our Black Friday event starting tomorrow, and I'd say it's not a bad time to get a second pair.  

Thanks for reading and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

View Quote

Very nice to see your reply. As a customer responses such as these will play into future purchases.

Thanks for a great product and Happy Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a 'long-time' user of PIG gloves (got some of the very first ones sold). As for the kinds of gloves I have tried, I have worn the following:

Nike batting gloves...

Oakley SI Assault gloves...

Petzl Cordex gloves...

and of course, SKD PIG gloves...

PIG gloves are the most comfortable and best fitting tactical gloves I have ever used. Only Nike batting
gloves offer me more dexterity/close fit than the PIG gloves. As for durability, the Petzl gloves are the best in this category, but,
their dexterity is only ok. Compared to the other gloves, they are like wearing mittens.
The Oakleys offer the best hand protection because of the carbon knuckle guard.

The PIG gloves strike a balance between the areas of protection, durability, and fit/dexterity.

On the down side, I had a brand-new pair of PIG gloves get chewed-up in one single Pat Rogers' Carbine Course.
The seams were falling apart and finger tips were getting holes in them.

Yes, I was disappointed, but, I did not hesitate to buy another pair.

Over the time that the PIG gloves have been available, I have gone thru several pairs, and yet I cannot stop
buying them. No matter how short the service life, I buy more. That is how much I like them.

As I see it (based upon my personal experience), if you are the type that goes to the range once in a while (and wears gloves when shooting),
PIG gloves should last you a good long time.

If you are like me and train a lot (or wear them on a daily basis for your line of work) you will not get long service life.

No matter what, you will love wearing them.

I recommend them without hesitation!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, it's a ashame that they have to be so disponsible though.  Hopefully the good folks at companies like DOW are working on fabric treatments to increase durability.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been holding off on buying gloves (regardless of whether they were Oakley, Mechanics, Pig, etc.) but after reading the educational and informative post by SKD, I'll be buying the Pig gloves...
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you guys for the input, I just got my pair in.  I really like them, and they don't seem exceptionally tough, but not fragile though.  What they are though, is very good fitting. I have only handled my guns, to see how they felt, but I am going to a light carbine/pistol class tomorrow, and will see how they roll. I expect nothing less than greatness.  

Piggly, thank you for the input as well.  Please tell us more, if you can, about the new ones coming out.  

As in; what is the design purpose of them? Are they going to be a little tougher?  Price?  

Thanks again for any insight.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:46:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Piggly, thank you for your quick reply.  I used my new PIG's this weekend, and I can't say enough good about them.  I will be buying more, and can't wait to see the new ones in January hopefully.  Thanks again man.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I got my PIG Full Dexterity Tactical Gloves - Alpha Touch from TD on Dec 31, 2014 when they had a sale, and lucky enough, they have it Carbon Gray.

I haven't taken it to the range, due mainly to the below zero temps here in Chicago. As FM161 mentioned, while getting out of the car from parking lot to your building, it holds up a bit, but, just standing around shoveling show, it will not keep your fingers toasty.

So my experience with the FDT is this: I daily carry my TT Modular pack with my Crye JPC, Velocity Ceramic plates IV and III, extra gloves, extra socks, extra longs sleeves, 64oz water, blowout kit with shears....etc....so its past 20 lbs safe to say.  This is the only equipment/gear the FDT has encountered (besides the smartphone, which I'll get to in a minute).

So, while in our locker room I decided to take some pictures (with my Galaxy S2) to show what the Carbon Gray looks next to a Arc'teryx LEAF Alpha LT Jacket in Wolf.
Mind you, this is the sort of lighting the locker room has:

so the lighting is a bit harsh and changes in "tone" depending on the angle

On the stool seat

while wearing, kinda "selfie" angle

now looking down using the proper camera of the Galaxy S2

Now, when I first received it, I notice the QC from factory is a bit...lacking.

the glue is a bit rough...I can live with that.  There's two (luckily:p) of those pig if one is to question what kind of glove it is.

Now from Dec 31 up to today, I notice some fray has already occurred from carrying my pack daily. (Give or take 4-5 days off from the Holidays)

Now, I take there is about $6 difference between the Alpha and the Alpha Touch...given that knowing the said product will face rough treatment, I expected the threads to hold up more than 2 weeks.:confused:

Experience with the Galaxy S2:
As I said, I tried the FDT while shoveling snow. It takes me nearly 1.5 hrs to shovel my snow both with regular shovel and snow blower. So I once in a while had to fiddle with the selection of music I listen to.  In the cold, the response is quick and nimble. No fudging the controls of the smartphone, the knobs on the snow blower, and the shovel.  It feels responsive, it reminds me of my Giro DND gloves with I do use for shooting.  It's tactile, and almost surgical.
The extra padding at the fatty lateral part of your palm is a nice welcome.  The fleece for snot-control is a nice touch in the cold....etc, everyone knows this part.

So, my only gripe is the Touch thread could really, really, really use some reinforcement. I'm tempted to add a bit of glue to hold it down, but may loose the Touch feature. If you want a nice gift to yourself, I have to recommend getting the regular Alpha FDT at this time.

I'll try to get better pictures with better lighting next time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:04:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I have had a pair since they first came out. Held up pretty good been thru multi deployments overseas and I use them on the range here and in the last year used them as a workout glove, but they are on their last go around. Mine are coming undone around the seams on the knuckles. Also the paracord loops are both broke and I have a couple holes starting to show in the finger area. The stitching started to come undone maybe a month after I had them and has gotten worse over time almost all the way around now. All in all I have gotten my money's worth. One thing I disliked was I sent a couple emails to SKD when I started to notice the seams coming undone and never got a response back. Hopefully they have the seam  issue worked out by now. Dont know if I would buy another pair from them with not getting any response from them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I just got mine. I sized them based off SKD's sizing instructions and they are a tad too big. Guess ill be getting a size smaller next time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I use the FDT's as my patrol gloves. I pretty much have them for hot weather/light duty, OR Overlords for cold weather/doing something that requires some serious hand armor or FR capability, and OR Ironsights for everywhere in between. I personally find the FDT's far and away the most comfortable of the three (and I love both of the OR gloves), but the durability thing does make me hesitate to use them for much more than checking ID's/climbing in and out of C-5's/cool weather gloves. Honestly, I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a superior shooting or light duty glove, but in my opinion even the amount of comfort they offer doesn't negate the combination of comfort and durability that the Ironsights offer, at least from an all round "military glove" standpoint. For that reason, the OR gloves will be accompanying me to the desert while the FDT's will remain in the stateside duty gear.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey OP as an alternative, check out the Firm Grip Trademaster gloves from Home Depot. I find them to be a good compromise between the PIG glove and Mechanix and pretty inexpensive at around $15

Full mesh back

Soft leather palm with rubber grip areas

In action (not me )
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I've ordered/gone through 3 sets so far.  I will continue ordering them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just got mine. I sized them based off SKD's sizing instructions and they are a tad too big. Guess ill be getting a size smaller next time.
View Quote

I measured a solid medium on all dimensions and they fit like webbed gloves (meaning the fingers weren't long/deep enough for me).  Maybe I'll try large someday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top