Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 1:39:26 AM EDT
What's available in surplus M40 type or what do I need? Something that will take all screw on nbc filters if possible (with or without an adapter).
Prefer to be able to switch sides of where filter is located for proper rifle shouldering.

Thank you

If this is in the wrong area please move my thread.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I;'ve got Israeli civvie masks. Tested them as they work plus they have children sizes. Mine also fit the standard NATO filters
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.mestelsafety.com/protection-equipment/products/gas-masks/

Mestel NBC NATO 400/3 Gas Mask

They use the standard 40mm nato filter can plus they have great visibility and you can buy them brand new for near the price of a used M40 surplus unit. It has ability to use comms, drink and switch the side the filter is on making shooting much easier. I think you can buy a add on hood if you want to go all out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.mestelsafety.com/protection-equipment/products/gas-masks/

Mestel NBC NATO 400/3 Gas Mask

They use the standard 40mm nato filter can plus they have great visibility and you can buy them brand new for near the price of a used M40 surplus unit. It has ability to use comms, drink and switch the side the filter is on making shooting much easier. I think you can buy a add on hood if you want to go all out.
View Quote

Seems like you get a lot for your money with those.  How are they too wear? No fogging issues?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If you watch eBay you can get some pretty good deals. I got a new M40 with the lenses still taped over and a new non-expired filter for $80. Shit doesn't fog at all, and has hydration support. Takes all standard NATO 40mm filters. I've had no complaints with mine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll ask question. What's the mask for? For Ebola you need an n95 mask
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you have a full chemical suit with hood and have been trained on how to decontaminate or function in a suit long term you're pretty much screwed for serious threats like nuclear and biological. For the avg joe or prepper I would assume their main use would be against chemical, in particular tear gas.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
I already have N100's for that Eboli.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Unless you have a full chemical suit with hood and have been trained on how to decontaminate or function in a suit long term you're pretty much screwed for serious threats like nuclear and biological. For the avg joe or prepper I would assume their main use would be against chemical, in particular tear gas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have really bad farts and I don't want to smell them. So yes for tear gas.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Not really, you need an N95 with a full surgical hood. So you wear the N95 and then a hood that covers shoulders and entire head. These are usually worn with a helmet that has a fan in the top to cool the wearer. I never wore one but seen docs who have in total joint surgery and they said they suck (That's w/o the N95 under it too). Optimal is an Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR). These are the current CDC recommendations. Bigger deal is donning and removal. It's never a simple thing, like CBRN work, it's a complicated process of PPE with high risk stuff.
Sorry don't mean to high jack thread.

To be on topic. I got a personally owned MSA Millennium (medium), Paraclete carrier. Filters for LTL chemical agents (cs, cn) also CBRN filters. Mask has 40mm threads so fits all standard nato filters. I've been fit tested before at work but supposedly a medium fits like 90% of adults IIRC. Honestly if you need a CBRN filter unless you got the full MOPP, know how to put on and ability to decon. your probably f'ed
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Mmm, nothing like used life support equipment of dubious condition.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been interested in one after seeing the riots in Ukraine.
I don't want to choke on tear gas while hurling molotov cocktails at blue helmets
I have no interest in full NBC capability

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got the SGE 400/3's.  I'd sure like some instruction on how to properly don, fit and remove it efficiently.  Also, how do you know when to swap canisters?  As it takes more effort to breathe?  Gear without training is useless.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been interested in one after seeing the riots in Ukraine.
I don't want to choke on tear gas while hurling molotov cocktails at blue helmets
I have no interest in full NBC capability

View Quote

I agree. I mean hypothetically if the USA were invaded by an unscrupulous foreign army, there was a coup to overthrow our Republic by a tyrannical domestic force, or civil riots where police or prison armories were taken CS gas would be a real factor.  Seems only prudent to have a good gas mask if you subscribe the Second Amendment being more than just for self-defense against common criminals.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got the SGE 400/3's.  I'd sure like some instruction on how to properly don, fit and remove it efficiently.  Also, how do you know when to swap canisters?  As it takes more effort to breathe?  Gear without training is useless.  
View Quote

Check out ZERT.  They've got a pretty cool rifle and pistol standard drill for folks wearing gas masks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top