Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 8:36:53 PM EDT
I know 5.45x39 is not on the testing list for Level III and IV plates, but since it is a popular cartridge in the US and abroad I wondered if anyone has tested it?  From the ballistics tables it looks as if it would be comparable to a slower .223, but I was interested in any real-world testing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Skip to 1:30

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I know level III AR500 steel plates have been tested against 5.45 extensively. If  LVIII steel can stop it ceramic should be able to no problem.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know level III AR500 steel plates have been tested against 5.45 extensively. If  LVIII steel can stop it ceramic should be able to no problem.
View Quote

not true
Distance is the key here.
I have 55gn reloads and 5.45 mil spec that eat ar 500 seel and texture covered ar 500 steel from the "big seller" at and inside 25 yd.  
Eat as in punch a clean hole through the plate removing a solid piece, not a lucky punch through or partial pass.
Sapis do well to stop 7.62 rounds at close range Esapis stop 5.56 and 5.45 and 7.62 ap at close range as shown
Steel will not stop 5.56 and 5.45 inside of 25 yds unless you are referencing a thicker product I have not seen commonly marketed.
For those interested in an odd bit of history the weight and velocity proved it relevancy in the LE MAS ammo debacle.  A light gn varmint round would zip right through steel, due to the increased velocity.
This is why inside a certain range 55 gn penetrates better than 62 gn.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
My unlined AR500 steel armor plates (that I use for target shooting, not armor), will stop 5.45x39 no problem within 25 yds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My unlined AR500 steel armor plates (that I use for target shooting, not armor), will stop 5.45x39 no problem within 25 yds.
View Quote

What brand ammo?
And when you say plates for target shooting, are they armor plates or ar 500 targets, there is a difference.
Thanks
My ar500 targets are significantly thicker and stop fast rounds close as well, but decrease the service life of the target and do pock and damage it when not mounted to allow reciprocal movement (like on a t post).
Steel will stop wolf, Barnaul, etc inside 25 yds in both 5.56/223 and 5.45 due to a lower velocity.
I will clarify that 7n6 and (x)m193 are adequate for defeating most non enhanced sapi plates and steel inside of 25 yds.  
The rating system (nij) and military plate ratings exist for a reason, a low cost alternative might work, but why take a chance with an un tested non serialized plate?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Target plates are usually 3/8 inch thick, body armor is 1/4 inch.  Big difference
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Skip to 1:30

http://youtu.be/6pfoP04bO0w
View Quote

Thanks for the video link.  I'm not surprised at the results, but it is good to have some confirmation.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

not true
I have 55gn reloads and 5.45 mil spec that eat ar 500 seel and texture covered ar 500 steel from the "big seller" at and inside 25 yd.  
Eat as in punch a clean hole through the plate removing a solid piece, not a lucky punch through or partial pass.
Sapis do well to stop 7.62 rounds at close range Esapis stop 5.56 and 5.45 and 7.62 ap at close range as shown
Steel will not stop 5.56 and 5.45 inside of 25 yds unless you are referencing a thicker product I have not seen commonly marketed.
For those interested in an odd bit of history the weight and velocity proved it relevancy in the LE MAS ammo debacle.  A light gn varmint round would zip right through steel, due to the increased velocity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not true

AR500 level 3 steel armor plates have been proven to very reliably stop 5.45 7n6 steel core from 20 yards - not sure how you're punching through whatever it is you have with 5.45.

When you say "AR500 will not stop 5.56 inside of 25 yards" you are also making a partially untrue blanket statement. AR500 won't stop M193 55 grain rounds shot out of a 16" or greater barreled rifle at 25 yards or closer. It WILL however stop M855 and in general heavier grain, slower rounds.

Video proof
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top