Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2014 9:56:14 PM EDT

Looking for tactical cargo pants on the loose side so they are easy to hike in and do various outdoor activities like paintball. Ideally also good enough for every day wear.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I like vertx.  They hold form well, and don't have cargo flaps to curl and look so sloppy.  They are pretty stain resistant also.

Eta...I prefer the cotton poly blend, not so much on the rip stop fabric.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
BDP
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Just got some in from the EE. Gonna try them out tomorrow.  

One of the pair has the black rubber like kneepads stitched on, I might not operate at operator level enough to operate those pants.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
reach inside the leg/kneepad flap and pull the neoprene out to go undercover Tier1.  They'll never see you until its too late.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like vertx.  They hold form well, and don't have cargo flaps to curl and look so sloppy.  They are pretty stain resistant also.  

View Quote

What is the rip stop fabric and how is it different from polyblend?

I am looking at Vertx Phantom model.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]

TAD Gear Force 10's are made very well.

But.. They're a little tight in the crotch.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Tru-Spec 24/7 Poly/Cotton Rip Stop

Bought 5 pairs, Been wearing them for work for the last year and a half. Love them, The have held up well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the Phantom pants are ripstop. The ripstop models are a 65/35 poly cotton blend whereas the original version is 98% cotton.

ETA at the risk of being considered a fanboy because I recommend Vertx pants every time this question comes up, they are seriously my favorite pants.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looking for tactical cargo pants on the loose side so they are easy to hike in and do various outdoor activities like paintball. Ideally also good enough for every day wear.
View Quote

If you're going to be playing paintball, you want to get some dedicated paintball paints. Paintball gear ends up with a distinct paint odor, so it's not something you want to get shot up and then wear to work, and no amount of washing will truly cure that smell.

Not to mention dedicated paintball paints tend to have extra padding in important places (like your fly...getting shot in the nuts sucks, though I've got a friend who had a kid after a nutshot so it's not necessarily debilitating), and the materials used make it much easier to wipe paint off between games. I'm not sure what's currently available, but the old Proto and BT Combat pants I own were very much worth the $75/pair that I paid for them.

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

"rip stop" is the weave, not the materials. Basically at a set interval there's a heavier thread running through the fabric (usually 0.2" or so). The idea is the heavy thread is harder to rip, so if the cloth does rip the rip won't go past the thick thread. All ripstop product I've seen have a very distinct visual grid pattern to them. Not "gray man" or appropriate for wearing around the office.

In my closet I've got ripstop stuff that is 65% polyester / 35% cotton, 50% nylon / 50% cotton, and 100% cotton.

In terms of durability though polyester > nylon > cotton, but polyester is also heavier and hotter. A lot hotter.

I find that in the summer in central Texas wearing the 65% polyester BDUs (the most common type of chinese knock-off) outdoors just tends to saturate with sweat quickly and take hours (once in airconditioning) to dry...like they aren't dry until two days later at the bottom of my laundry hamper. The 50% nylon ACU's are noticeably lighter and breath a lot better.

I can't say much for 100% cotton for vigorous activities, but my daily wear 100% cotton cargo pants tend to last 10-12 months before the material wears through just sitting in the office and taking light hikes around the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the TruSpec shorts a lot. Might venture into the long pants this winter.

Duluth Trading Company has some outstanding options for cargo pants. The Firehose and Insulated Firehose can't be beat for tough, winter cargo pants.  The "Flex Hose" are lighter (and thus wear faster) but are still tough.  The initial price is steep, keep your receipts and you get a lifetime warranty on them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even with the "stigma" that people put on 5.11, their pants are just awesome!  They carry a premium but they are worth the price.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#14]
You mean 5.11 Taclite?

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
PROPPER brand
and 5:11s
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You mean 5.11 Taclite?

View Quote

I like covert cargo and the taclite pro
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You mean 5.11 Taclite?

View Quote

Yes, these are the best and most comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Vertx here...very pleased with fit, durability and general low key appearance for cargo pants...
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean 5.11 Taclite?

I love these things, but they do stand out to people that recognize them lol
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have several pairs of 5.11s and like them
http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-pants/Relaxed-Fit-Straight-Leg-Cargo-Work-Pant-WP592.jsp
I wear these for work and they are more durable pants IMO but color choice is lacking
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#21]
5.11 Stryker pants. Expensive but great pants. I wear them on patrol and love them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#22]
5.11 taclite pro
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I really really like my skd tactical pants there baggie cut and super tough

Unless flame resistance is important then go crye or something
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I've owned dozens of pairs of 5.11s and Tru-Spec pants in the past.

5.11s generally fall apart and fade very quickly after moderate use. Even faster
if you train in them. The True-Specs are quite a bit more functional and hold up a lot better.

That being said, if money is not a object, Crye Precision G3s and Arcteryx Talos are the hands down the
most durable and functional out there.

For something a bit lower profile, Arcteryx Rampart and the discontinued Arcteryx Raider pants are great as
well. Still pricey though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#25]
For cheap pants the Proppers are good.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been wearing the same pair of Tru-specs every week to work for the past 7 years. The are still in great shape.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Propper OP
Propper

linky
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Tru spec makes ACU type in solid colours, super comfy with big pockets  and spaces for knee pads. So you get the benefit of milspec without looking like it.
also there is this

http://www.predatorbdu.com/sord-usa-field-pant/

I got some in Tan which are more like Coyote and they are comfy like the old Brit pants, I use them at work, the range and hiking ( mostly vertical in the PNW) I wish they made more colours.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#29]
This may be heresy to the "in" crowd, but as a mil contractor, I use either the wrangler ripstop pants from wally world or the bdu type ones in solid colors from L.A. police gear. Function over fashion, and they do fine over here. Also cheaper than the "name brands". YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I realize this may be heresy, but I really, really like the LA Police Gear 10 pocket cargo pants: Operator pants w/Lower Leg Pockets

The main reason I like them is that the cargo pockets have inner organizer pockets that hold pistol mags perfectly. And, for other stuff, they drop down to the bottom of the cargo pocket. They also have front slit pockets that I use for keys and lighters and such. Haven't really used the lower leg pockets for much. What I find is most cargo pants just have big cargo pockets. I like the fact that these can hold a pistol mag upright with the base sticking up, making it really easy to pull and put into action.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#31]
LA polics gear pants are baggy as hell on me but hold up fantastic. and they're 20 bucks :)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Big fan of the Massif cargo pants.   But they can't be bought anymore..   They went out of business, but I am certain someone will buy them..

I also have Vertx..   Understated cargo pants,  easy to fit too..

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#33]
The ones you like to wear.

I like Outdoor Research, Prana, Patagonia... the ones that don't scream "tactical".
Besides, they're way more comfortable and usually a lot lighter.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I want to like vertx.

But any pants with elastic in the waistband are an automatic no-go for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Top 3 are

Vertx
Vertx
Vertx....

yep
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I want to like vertx.

View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I actually really like my Cabelas Tactical Pant.  Very comfortable with lots of pockets and rip-stop.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to like vertx.

Why?

Curious also.

I have LAPG with elastic and I love em.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I got a pair of under armour tactical cargo pants from Marshall's for $30.  Regular price is $75.  They're really nice for $30. But I wouldn't do $75.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Anybody tried to Propper STL II pants?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#41]
While they're not cargo pants, I prefer the Columbia Ultimate ROC pants. Best everyday khaki-type pants I've worn.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean 5.11 Taclite?

Agreed. I have about 16 pairs at least, mostly issued. They've held up extremely well.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Curious also.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to like vertx.

Why?

Curious also.

Yup I never knew I liked elastic until I bought some of the LAPG pants....I'm not fat either...5"9' 165 pounds.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean 5.11 Taclite?

Yes. Been wearing them on the job for a couple years now with no issues. I'd usually blow out the crotch on similar pants but these are holding up fine. Plenty of room for movement.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I want to like vertx.

View Quote

I'm the same way. The elastic folds are uncomfortable and dig into me. I have a pair of the Vertx pants and just made a small slit on the inside of the elastic area and cut the elastic band. Problem solved. These pants are now some of my favorites.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Best: Crye
Best for the money: LAPG

5.11 are okay, I guess. Basically the same as LAPG but 2-3x the price.
Haven't tried many other brands.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

5.11 are okay, I guess. Basically the same as LAPG but 2-3x the price.

Haven't tried many other brands.
View Quote
Way more comfortable than LAPG IMHO. I do love LAPG's shorts though

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Hate 5.11's....

I like these: ATS Elite Pants (these used to be woolrich tactical pants).  I've worn them OCONUS for 2.5 years and they're cool, give you good range of motion, and generous in the crotch area.  They also accept knee pads.

My second favorite were they LA Police Gear Tactical Cargo's but I've had the stitching on the velcro come off and the fly's break; however, for $20 a pop you can buy 5 pair and they'll last you a bit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to like vertx.

Why?

I hate the way it looks and feels.   Pants with elastic waists are for toddlers who wear diapers.   I'm a damn grown man with a belt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I hate the way it looks and feels.   Pants with elastic waists are for toddlers who wear diapers.   I'm a damn grown man with a belt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to like vertx.

Why?

You're wearing a belt, you can't say it.

Noted though, I'll remember that I'm a toddler wearing a diaper since the pants I wear to work every day have elastic in the waistband.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top