Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2014 12:51:11 PM EDT
Just received my combat smocks in the mail and decided to create an overview and to give a general insight on their clothing system. In this review, I am using the MTP MVP version of the Combat Smock:

Combat smocks have been used by the British Military dating back since WWII with the Denison smocks. It is usually made of a heavy duty cotton material that is woven tightly and is very sturdy.

There have been numerous evolutions since, and is still being used today. It is to be worn as the outermost garment over layers and gear, and is sized so. The smock in this review is 160/88 which is the smallest available NATO size. I am still able to fit a base layer, and a grid fleece underneath the smock.

The front of the smock features four well sized pockets:

The pockets have flaps that are secured by a traditional sewn button that is covered by an additional layer of material. This is so the button will not get caught in shrubs or twigs when operating out in the bush:

Pockets have extra material on the sides to allow the pocket to expand to accommodate items of significant volume:

The bottom two front pockets also feature fleece lined hand warmers:

Two additional pockets are found on each bicep sleep, and are angled in a way to access items easier. These pockets are secured by Velcro, and feature a loop field for patches.

The under arms feature ventilation zippers that are both waterproof and two way:

The main zipper feature a two way external storm flap that is secured by sections of Velcro:

Opening the two external storm flaps reveal the main zipper as well as a waterproof sleeve pocket. The pocket is made of a nylon type material to keep items dry:

The main zipper is a two-way zipper. You can zip from the bottom up to allow ventilation for temperature regulation, or the traditional top to bottom zip:

The hood is overly sized to accommodate ballistic helmets or bump helmets. The hood also features a wire that could be bent to fit over different types of breathing apparatuses. The hood can also be adjusted and rolled out of the way:

As stated earlier, there have been numerous revisions to the combat smock. Traditionally, the windproof smocks have been made of a 50/50 polyester cotton blend. The PCS version is made of the same blend of material, but features a drop liner for ventilation. This particular version has the MVP (moisture vapor permeable), which is the British Gore-Tex:

The material extends through the arms sleeves and features an additional cuff adjustment to the outer cuff adjustments:

Traditional windproof smocks without the MVP liner were to be used in conjunction with the British Lightweight MVP Jacket to protect the user from inclement weather. The user would wear the MVP Jacket underneath the smock:

If there is a downside to this item will be where it's made. When I first received the product, I thought I received a counterfeit item due to the tag. After examining the smock, I thought it was too well made for a counterfeit item. After research, I have found that the British MOD has since been outsourcing their uniforms overseas:

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Made in China    
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Made in China    
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a link to pick one of these up? Cost?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you have a link to pick one of these up? Cost?
View Quote

The only U.S retailer I know that sells the Windproof Smocks are Major Surplus:
Major Surplus

They only list sm-med-large sizes so be sure to specify your NATO size in order comments. The one that I received from Major Surplus was the non PCS version with no liner.

You can also get these on ebay and can search for the PCS version with the drop liner, as well as the Waterproof version with the MVP liner. Most ebay sellers are in the U.K so shipping costs will be a factor.

The one in the review (MVP liner) I got from ebay for around $160 shipped from the U.K.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds like the wind-layer is on top and the waterproof layer is underneath. Doesn't the top layer get soaked and heavy?

Also, your coat looks like Multicam, but the one on your link looks a little different (in fact they call it Multi-Terrain).

Does this feel like 2.75lbs like the description says?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds like the wind-layer is on top and the waterproof layer is underneath. Doesn't the top layer get soaked and heavy?

Also, your coat looks like Multicam, but the one on your link looks a little different (in fact they call it Multi-Terrain).

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Assets/ProductImages/08-0804_82.jpg

View Quote

The coat is MTP. It is uses the same exact colors as U.S Multicam but in a traditional British pattern like the former DPM camo.

You are correct as the wind shell is the outer layer. To get inclement weather protection, you have to get the Lightweight MVP (Gore-Tex) jacket and wear it underneath the smock or get the Smock with the MVP liner. In both cases, the outer layer would get wet and yes by accounts, heavy. You will save some weight getting the Smock with MVP liner vs. Smock with MVP jacket. Their system is different from the ECWCS layering system as hard shells are usually the outermost layers.

The 2.75 weight is an accurate if not conservative estimate.

ECWCS Lvl 6 Gore-Tex Multicam:

Combat Smock in MTP:
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
hey thats a great review, I have an old school SAS smock in DPM and love it, except it has the big shiny buttons. it has so many pockets I almost do not need a day pack.
Was looking at SORD but now considering this.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The coat is MTP. It is uses the same exact colors as U.S Multicam but in a traditional British pattern like the former DPM camo.

You are correct as the wind shell is the outer layer. To get inclement weather protection, you have to get the Lightweight MVP (Gore-Tex) jacket and wear it underneath the smock or get the Smock with the MVP liner. In both cases, the outer layer would get wet and yes by accounts, heavy. You will save some weight getting the Smock with MVP liner vs. Smock with MVP jacket. Their system is different from the ECWCS layering system as hard shells are usually the outermost layers.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/E5C37ECD-CB3B-4265-85DF-15EC1AE2AB57_zpssyqt5u5w.jpg

Combat Smock in MTP:
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/EA3EA064-4E3A-4ECF-9892-7A259BDB6451_zpsuoutct9e.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/E5C37ECD-CB3B-4265-85DF-15EC1AE2AB57_zpssyqt5u5w.jpg

Combat Smock in MTP:
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/EA3EA064-4E3A-4ECF-9892-7A259BDB6451_zpsuoutct9e.jpg

Looks like you have both.  If so how does the British Smock compare to the US Gore-Tex?  In terms of comfort, performance and wearability?

I love my Gore-Tex but it's getting long in the tooth.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Looks like you have both.  If so how does the British Smock compare to the US Gore-Tex?  In terms of comfort, performance and wearability?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combat Smock in MTP:

Comfort- Basing on just the garments alone, the British Smock is a more comfortable wear. Comfort for the ECWCS jacket is dependant on the layers underneath. You can definitely be comfortable with a base layer, grid fleece and a midweight fleece liner all layered under the ECWCS jacket down to sub degree temps.

Performance- Apples and oranges comparison due to the different philosophies of uses. The ECWCS jacket is primarily a moisture barrier. It is rustly and loud when moving. The British Smock is a combat garment. It is heavy, and can take abuse but will get soaked in a downpour. The MVP Liner inside the Smock should mitigate this, but Gore-Tex is tried and true.

Wearability- Another apples and oranges comparison as the ECWCS jacket is part of a tiered layering system. Sizing wise, the ECWCS Lvl 6 runs about two sizes larger than what is listed. The British Smock is also sized larger to accommodate layers and gear.

Another comparison would be the British Lightweight MVP Jacket vs. the U.S ECWCS Level 6 Jacket
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Comfort- Basing on just the garments alone, the British Smock is a more comfortable wear. Comfort for the ECWCS jacket is dependant on the layers underneath. You can definitely be comfortable with a base layer, grid fleece and a midweight fleece liner all layered under the ECWCS jacket down to sub degree temps.

Performance- Apples and oranges comparison due to the different philosophies of uses. The ECWCS jacket is primarily a moisture barrier. It is rustly and loud when moving. The British Smock is a combat garment. It is heavy, and can take abuse but will get soaked in a downpour. The MVP Liner inside the Smock should mitigate this, but Gore-Tex is tried and true.

Wearability- Another apples and oranges comparison as the ECWCS jacket is part of a tiered layering system. Sizing wise, the ECWCS Lvl 6 runs about two sizes larger than what is listed. The British Smock is also sized larger to accommodate layers and gear.

Another comparison would be the British Lightweight MVP Jacket vs. the U.S ECWCS Level 6 Jacket
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combat Smock in MTP:

Thanks, that's just want I wanted to know!! Might have to pick one of these up one day!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
hey thats a great review, I have an old school SAS smock in DPM and love it, except it has the big shiny buttons. it has so many pockets I almost do not need a day pack.
Was looking at SORD but now considering this.
View Quote

I have one these as well and LOVE it.  Will see if I can pick up one of these new versions.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combat Smock in MTP:

So how would you compare the British Lighweight MVP vs. U.S. ECWCS Lvl6 ?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combat Smock in MTP:

Similar as they are both moisture barriers, but that's pretty much it. The British MVP jacket is to be worn as an undergarment (under Smock) and is truer to size. It is without a hood and has no external pockets other than the shoulder pockets.

The ECWCS jacket is sized to accommodate the multiple layers that are also part of the ECWCS system (very large). It is to be worn as an outer garment which is shown with the reinforced material around the elbows/forearms. The jacket also has a hood, and slip pockets to access pockets underneath.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Similar as they are both moisture barriers, but that's pretty much it. The British MVP jacket is to be worn as an undergarment (under Smock) and is truer to size. It is without a hood and has no external pockets other than the shoulder pockets.

The ECWCS jacket is sized to accommodate the multiple layers that are also part of the ECWCS system (very large). It is to be worn as an outer garment which is shown with the reinforced material around the elbows/forearms. The jacket also has a hood, and slip pockets to access pockets underneath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combat Smock in MTP:

Im not sure what I like more…

Probably will end up getting both -__-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top