Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2014 2:24:40 PM EDT
Ive used the search button on this site for tactical pants and for some reason nothing is popping up. I am looking for tactical style pant that will no break the bank. I was working on a roof for 14 hours( 2 days in a row last week for my grandfather) climbing all over, sitting, standing with a safety line, and I realized alot of this movement transfers over to firearms training movements. The jeans and shorts I used got holes in them within a day. I realized I needed some tactical/ range pants that can be multi use. I would really prefer a fitted style of pant as that is what I normally wear. I want the best quality for the dollar. I dont mind saving up, but the cost better be worth it. Built in knee pads would be really nice.

I have looked at the 5.11 stryke pants, crye combat and field pants, and TAD. The 5.11 stryke pants look really nice for the money, and the Crye has the built in knee pads. I really dont want multicam. I prefer browns, greens, and grays for a outdoor look rather than a military one since im a civvie.

Have you guys had experience with these pants and how do they compare to others? I dont know if 5.11 is good or not as they seem like a mass production company. My knowledge on range apparel is only about moisture wicking material for outdoor work, and range use. Thats about it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

And all of those are good recommendations, too. Also, I might add, my TheNorthFace Paramount pants (old and new styles) have been going strong for many, many years.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Vertx.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:17:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Vertx.
View Quote

Absolutely.  I love my Vertx pants, and they come in just about every color you could want.  They are some of the best though out pants on the market, and don't scream "I have a gun!" as loud as others when you are off the range.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#6]
BDU's.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Duluth trading company flex firehouse pants
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Blaklader 1630 Bantam Workpant
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been very happy with my 5.11 Flex Stryke pants and I need to get another pair since I've lost wait and now they're just too damn big.  I have found them incredibly stain resistant and they repel water very nicely for not being a soft-shell material.  You dump a bit of water on them and it beads up pretty nicely.  The rip stop in them make them damn near bomb proof and although higher in price than I would like they are competitively priced compared to some of the alternatives like North Face or Arcteryx.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorites currently are the Massif Rogue pants. I love them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
what key words would you use in google to get it to turn up some heavy duty pants?

besides

heavy duty pants

or

Tactical Pants

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The TAD Covert DC pants are my current favs for heavy duty pants that don't scream tactical.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Bought  pair at salvage store...  freaking awesome pants.   Deffinitly designed well for athletic movement and people.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Absolutely.  I love my Vertx pants, and they come in just about every color you could want.  They are some of the best though out pants on the market, and don't scream "I have a gun!" as loud as others when you are off the range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vertx.

LOL i was getting coffee one morning and a coworker i only barely know, and have never spoken about guns with, comes up and asks "Yo man are those CCW pants!?!?"

Vertx pants are low profile? Sure.

They are pretty nice though.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I love Duluth firehouse pants.  Mud rabble as hell, also the logger pants!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]
While I own a couple pairs of Crye pants....

I normally wear Dickie or Carhartt dungaree's or cargo pants..
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Eotec 202.......I think that's how you spell them....
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#21]
5.11 Stryke pants. Wear them on patrol and I have no complaints
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

Jambo.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And all of those are good recommendations, too. Also, I might add, my TheNorthFace Paramount pants (old and new styles) have been going strong for many, many years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+100 for TNF paramount pants...I have a pair that are over ten years old, have had the seat patched up, and are still going strong...Picked up a pair of new ones this year also..
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#24]
So you guys are basically recommending me everything I listed besides the Duluth and vertx as I didnt mention those in OP, lol.

LAPG looks okay but I have a feeling I want to spend more than 12 dollars on tactical pants. The 50-80 dollar mark for pants that will be a good quality, but not break the bank pant seems good to me. At first I would buy one pair, and then see if I like them.

Are the Duluth pants made for working? I would prefer a pant focused on outdoor/ firearm use at the range, as that is what I do mostly. I do work outside on odd end jobs for family, but thats not often. So, I dont know if the work pants would perform or be optimized for outdoor/ range use. I dont plan on wearing these in public at all really.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
BDU's.
View Quote

No, just no...  BDU's are old tech, heavy, and hot compared to the options now available on the market.  Also, BDU's hold water (sweat), chaff, and are generally miserable in the wet.  My absolute favorite pants right now for this activity is Arc'teryx Ramparts.  The REI Sahara pants are pretty good too for half the price, but they aren't as well cut as the Ramparts nor do they allow as free range of motion.  The best part is that you can throw on a thin thermal layer under your Ramparts (or Sahara's) and make the pants true 3 season pants.  They only weigh a few ounces and are extremely durable.

If you want a more athletic fit I'd point you to the Arc'teryx Perimeter pants.  But you can't comfortably layer thermal layers under Perimeter's.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Picked up a $12 pair of LA Police Gear's tac pants and could not be happier. They have nearly 87 pockets for all your tactics.

I've found that walking through brush, the material is very resistant to getting burrs/pokey things stuck to it. A great bonus for very durable pants. I hit them with a waterproofing spray and use another pair for my outer layer for snowboarding.

ETA: OP, why is paying a higher price a criteria for your purchase? You're equating that exceeding a certain price point guarantees a level of quality and durability?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Picked up a $12 pair of LA Police Gear's tac pants and could not be happier. They have nearly 87 pockets for all your tactics.

I've found that walking through brush, the material is very resistant to getting burrs/pokey things stuck to it. A great bonus for very durable pants. I hit them with a waterproofing spray and use another pair for my outer layer for snowboarding.

ETA: OP, why is paying a higher price a criteria for your purchase? You're equating that exceeding a certain price point guarantees a level of quality and durability?

View Quote

Well basic economics makes me believe I get what I pay for. I cant remember how many times when I bought cheap and got crap out of it. 12 dollars for pants is good and all, but whats the longevity and durability of the pants? They must have to cut corners for a pair of pants to be 12 dollars. I dont want a pant that they cut so many corners for a cheap price. A 50-80 dollar pair of pants seems good as thats the same price of jeans I pay for.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, just no...  BDU's are old tech, heavy, and hot compared to the options now available on the market.  Also, BDU's hold water (sweat), chaff, and are generally miserable in the wet.  My absolute favorite pants right now for this activity is Arc'teryx Ramparts.  The REI Sahara pants are pretty good too for half the price, but they aren't as well cut as the Ramparts nor do they allow as free range of motion.  The best part is that you can throw on a thin thermal layer under your Ramparts (or Sahara's) and make the pants true 3 season pants.  They only weigh a few ounces and are extremely durable.

If you want a more athletic fit I'd point you to the Arc'teryx Perimeter pants.  But you can't comfortably layer thermal layers under Perimeter's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BDU's.

Layering is something I would like possibly if I want to go shooting at the range or in the country during fall/ winter and its very cold out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

#1 answer, I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

#1 answer, I love mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#1 answer, I love mine.

Great work pants.  Extremely comfortable for a set of canvas pants.  But if you are going to be outside training, you don't want heavy ass canvas pants that absorb water, get heavier, and chaff when wet.  Cause lets face it, we can't control the weather.  What you want is pants that will work in both the dry and the wet, and won't hinder your ability to perform.  

OP...what did you end up with and what do you think about them?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I havent bought any pants yet. I guess I need to separate work and training/ physical outdoor pants to 2 separate types of pant to buy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Great work pants.  Extremely comfortable for a set of canvas pants.  But if you are going to be outside training, you don't want heavy ass canvas pants that absorb water, get heavier, and chaff when wet.  Cause lets face it, we can't control the weather.  What you want is pants that will work in both the dry and the wet, and won't hinder your ability to perform.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#1 answer, I love mine.

True, I guess I misunderstood the OPs question I thought he was looking for durable pants to wear roofing and also for the range. I wear mine in the woods and I haven't had any problems with the weight or chaffing. In reality all fabrics absorb water and can cause chaffing, etc, so it is all about what you are willing to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

True, I guess I misunderstood the OPs question I thought he was looking for durable pants to wear roofing and also for the range. I wear mine in the woods and I haven't had any problems with the weight or chaffing. In reality all fabrics absorb water and can cause chaffing, etc, so it is all about what you are willing to deal with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#1 answer, I love mine.

Have you owned a pair of 'walk dry' pants?  Typically Nylon/Poly blends that sometimes incorporate elasticity, most of which are treated with a DWR coating?  They are literally featherlight compared to canvas pants.  The duluth pants are 11oz canvas, which means a single 36"x22" square weighs 11oz.  I've looked everywhere for a published weight of these pants and can't find one, but with all the double layers, pockets, and reinforcements I would assume that they had to use three times that amount of material (and 33oz doesn't seem too far off picking mine up, they feel like they weigh 2lbs).  As an example the Ramparts I suggested weigh a confirmed 9.6oz.  That includes all the material, stitching, reinforcements, buttons, zippers, pockets, everything.  

Generally light rain, mist, splashes crossing a creek bead off the pants.  It takes a meaningful amount of water to defeat the DWR coating.  But even when the coating is compromised and they become wet they handle the wet in a way cotton never can.  They disperse the moisture evenly, and quickly, never soaking up the quantity of liquid that canvas does.  I would guess my BDU's double in weight while wet, and my canvas pants probably tripple in weight while wet.  My hiking pants...may add an oz or two while wet.  It is remarkable.  Then once the rain stops, or you get out of the water, the real magic happens.  My Ramparts will dry completely in about 15min with moderate activity.  Canvas, denium, basically cotton in general will take hours.  It is this difference that really prevents chaffing.  These pants won't stay wet long enough to chaff.  

They manage sweat in the same way, wicking it off your skin, distributing it among a large surface area of fibers, and evaporating it causing you to be far more comfortable than while in heavy cotton; and less prone to sweat based chaffing.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I own about 7 pairs of LAPG pants. For that price, even if they are a tiny bit less durable than 5.11, you can replace them more often.

That said, I have zero issues with LAPG pants. 5.11 at a fraction of the cost. I am wearing my Crye G3s as I type this though. I hate companies that only make M,L,XL pants. Crye and LAPG win at making pants in my size (small long).
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I own about 7 pairs of LAPG pants. For that price, even if they are a tiny bit less durable than 5.11, you can replace them more often.

That said, I have zero issues with LAPG pants. 5.11 at a fraction of the cost. I am wearing my Crye G3s as I type this though. I hate companies that only make M,L,XL pants. Crye and LAPG win at making pants in my size (small long).
View Quote

How do you think of your Crye Pants? I would plan on getting them in the tan and green colors. I really like the option of built in knee pad inserts ALOT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top