Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 9:33:31 AM EDT
I've got a couple pair of the regular 5.11s but I actually prefer the pocket layout on a regular pair of jeans. I was thinking about ordering a pair of these in charcoal.

Anyone tried these? Thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Love these.
Low pro and comfortable.
Just that the openings of the main pockets are a bit too tight for me but otherwise awesome.
Own three pairs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love these.
Low pro and comfortable.
Just that the openings of the main pockets are a bit too tight for me but otherwise awesome.
Own three pairs.
View Quote

I was wondering about that. I prefer the more horizontal opening on jean pockets to the regular 5.11s but these almost look to high/tight. I carry a front pocket wallet so that might be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#3]
First thought looking the pic was : Man, those front pockets look way too tight!

What is with the trend the last few years to have the front pockets so tight?  Makes them pretty much useless.  I carry my wallet up front, have since I was a kid.  Throw in a LCP in the other pocket, and I need easy to access deep front pockets.

I do like the 'hidden' mag pouches in the back though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
511 products -the clothing- are too expensive and totally overrated in my opinion, and make you look like a tactical tool. Look at me!! I'm an off duty or whatever so-and-so! I carry guns and stuff! Sorry, it's just that I work with a lot of people who wear a LOT of 511, and they treat it like it's just THE BEST EVER chinese made tactical superdude gear....
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
511 products -the clothing- are too expensive and totally overrated in my opinion, and make you look like a tactical tool. Look at me!! I'm an off duty or whatever so-and-so! I carry guns and stuff! Sorry, it's just that I work with a lot of people who wear a LOT of 511, and they treat it like it's just THE BEST EVER chinese made tactical superdude gear....
View Quote

Thanks for the fashion advice but the grooming and habadashery forum is that way.---->
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
+1

That is a lot of hate you got there, sir
Their polos are awesome though, that is all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a pair, they were good pants but front pockets were a bit tight.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
As others have said, they are snug.  To be fair, I wear relax fit jeans since I am on the husky side and no longer HSLD.  These fit more like a Levi 501 cut.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not Duluth trading company flex firehouse pants?  They're indestructible.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]
These seem to be perfect except for the high and tight front pockets. Any suggestions for something similar with more room in the pocket?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These seem to be perfect except for the high and tight front pockets. Any suggestions for something similar with more room in the pocket?
View Quote

I have several pair of the 5.11 Jean cut pants. They are not worth close to $50 retail - my rule is to never buy 5.11 until it is 50% discounted.

On the pocket issues, don't forget about the front slash pockets below the traditional pockets, they will fit cell phones, credit cards or pistol mags. I think they look goofy and are not useful, but a buddy who wears police uniform pants swears by those type of pockets for rubber gloves. Above each back pocket is a concealed slash pocket (two total) - which may or may not fit flashlights, batons, radios or smart phones. Those are nice, even it not low profile when filled. I do appreciate the retro quality of the sap pocket.

As others have mentioned, they do look tacticool-y and have some funky sizing/fit issues. The legs on my 36" pants are tight on the hips and significantly broader at the ankles - not quite bell bottoms but not tapered like many Levi's cuts. The slightly articulated knees are nice and something they got right.

The rip stop in the jean cuts is fairly light fabric, so may not be winter weight in your area. They are also have a lot of nylon, so flame resistance is real low.

On alternatives, there are a metric shit-ton of similar jean-cut pants out there now - Kuhl, Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Cabelas. et al. Most of these options cost more or comparable to 5.11, but at least the alternatives are quality. I have some Mountain Hardware Loafer pants with large but slightly funky patch type front pockets. They retail @ $75.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top