Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2014 9:37:58 AM EDT
Are ceramic plates durable enough that I could just leave a plate carrier in my vehicle (in the truck cab behind the drivers seat), or are bumps on the road going to be issues?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
They are fine. They withstand use in combat zones.  They are not as fragile as most people believe them to be
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thy are fine. The fragile rumors are just that, rumors. Probably made up by those who manufacturer/sell compete in plates such as steel or polymer
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, hope you don't mind if I co-op your thread, but I have a question.

I'd like to start training with my PC and plates. Extra safety never hurts and wearing them around the house is not the same as learning to deal with the bulk while moving & shooting, dealing with buttstock placement when shooting from multiple positions, etc.

Anything I shoud be careful of?

I'm going to take raf's advice on closed cell foam on top, but is there anything to be cautious of (for myself or the plates) when doing things like flopping down for prone shooting when doing moving drills?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Feel free to thread hijack. I think at the moment there are a lot of us civilians looking into buying armor, and I know that I for one could sure use all the information I can get.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I work for a manufacturer.  The drop test for NIJ 0101.06 plates is impressive.  If you can crack a modern ceramic plate while wearing it without going to the hospital that would be even more impressive!  They aren't exactly fragile.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I work for a manufacturer.  The drop test for NIJ 0101.06 plates is impressive.  If you can crack a modern ceramic plate while wearing it without going to the hospital that would be even more impressive!  They aren't exactly fragile.

CHRIS
View Quote

Good to know, thanks.

What are the top 'models' of ceramic plates at the moment?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd like to start training with my PC and plates. Extra safety never hurts and wearing them around the house is not the same as learning to deal with the bulk while moving & shooting, dealing with buttstock placement when shooting from multiple positions, etc.

I'm going to take raf's advice on closed cell foam on top, but is there anything to be cautious of (for myself or the plates) when doing things like flopping down for prone shooting when doing moving drills?
View Quote

Your ribs and sternum will break before your plates from going in the prone postion.  Definitely wear them.  10 -12 hours on the range in full armor will have you stripping any unneeded gear from your PC and streamlining your set up.  It will show you what works and what doesn't.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Anecdotal references to ceramic plates not being as durable in normal handling are simply that: anecdotal.

It's a throwback attitude to handling older early 90's RBA ceramic plates, which did have issues in edges being chipped or totally shattering when dropped on-edge.
The problem was quickly fixed, but bad information has a way of spreading and hanging on longer than good information.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CHRIS

Good to know, thanks.

The "best" is going to be an opinion-based answer.  Most armor manufacturers are going to offer a ceramic plate to stay competitive.
The best type of ceramic plate is going to most likely be a ceramic aramid composite or hybrid.

I can give you example manufacturers, but since I do not know what you need for protection... I am afraid it would not be aimed at answering your particular need.

Identify your needs, then find an answer to your needs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your ribs and sternum will break before your plates from going in the prone postion.  Definitely wear them.  10 -12 hours on the range in full armor will have you stripping any unneeded gear from your PC and streamlining your set up.  It will show you what works and what doesn't.

Rob
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

Stuff yourself in to the craziest shooting positions you can think of, you'll figure out the crap on your vest you need to peel off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#12]
personally bought plates banging around loose I'd probably just put something between them

in a carrier - no issues....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top