BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 1:03:13 AM EDT
So here's the breakdown of what you'll see below:

DCU triple shingle (dusted with krylon
Woodland double m4 pouch
2 coyote eagle m9 pouches
Assorted straps and some paracord

I sourced my pouches from USRO during sales, and paid less than $20 bucks for everything you see.

So with zero sewing or technical skill, you'll have 3 AR mags, 2 pistol mags, and a blowout kit readily accessible.

I wanted to have a quick "grab and go" setup for my AR and my 92. It serves well as a bandolier, but you'll see with the addition of an extra strap it actually wears comfortably as an expedient chest rig as well.

So I humbly share this with you folks.

I understand it has it's shortcomings, but as far as ease of assembly and access to materials I figured it'd be a fun concept to throw out there to you all.

Questions, comments, concerns? Please share your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:21:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If the quality of materials you're using are on par or better then say condor or voodoo, buy a bunch off supplies and start putting rigs together. Come up with a way to use an X strap shoulder system and plain waist band for the rig. Send one to me for "testing"
If your cost is $20 a rig and quality is decent for range work, you might have some people interested. Just some encouraging thoughts
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I like it that you think "Outside the Box".

Excellent innovation there.

Good product that would be very useful sitting next to your HD Carbine.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice.  Add in the homemade bungee straps and you are gtg.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#4]
looks pretty good, i wounder if you could web or sew two side by side for  abit more wrap around
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the kind words guys! I have no intention of ever trying to sell them, but I'll surely share the idea and encourage improvement with as many people as I can. I agree with you cap6888 that the no-sew bungee mod would make this a pretty slick rig. Anybody else out there rummage through their gear bin and throw something like this together for fun?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
At first I was ....then, after recognizing the outside-the-box thinking of the OP, I was

That trick might come in handy one day when someone needs to improvise, adapt, and overcome for real.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I like what you did there, OP. All I ever did was to throw a GI 6 mag bandolier over my head, with a GP strap clipped to it for around-the-torso.

I approve of your make-doism.

ETA: how do PMAGs fit in those shingles? I figured they wouldn't snap close on the plastic-fantastics...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA: how do PMAGs fit in those shingles? I figured they wouldn't snap close on the plastic-fantastics...
View Quote

They fit but its a small struggle to get them snapped. I keep the dust covers on them just to take some tension off the feedlips, and they still cram in there. They have stayed in there 24/7 for weeks and there's no real sign of that fabric stretching to make it any easier, but I've yet to have a snap come undone while maneuvering and jumping around.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:13:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Well done OP
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#10]
i have ones on my plate carrier that stretched alittle bit to fit my lancers pretty well, mabey dyeing them helped there still tight but at first i couldnt get them in
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice job!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Noob.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Touché...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Improvise, adapt and overcome.  I like it OP.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#15]
i think ill throw one of these together to keep in my truck, do you mind if i throw some pictures of what i do up here aswell?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i think ill throw one of these together to keep in my truck, do you mind if i throw some pictures of what i do up here aswell?
View Quote

By all means! I'd love to see any rigs people throw together! I'm always of the belief things can be improved upon.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#17]
That's great.  Good ingenuity, and I really like the simple strap set-up
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#18]
just picked up a cheap pair of these pouches, i dont feel like pulling the ones of my carrier. ill try sewing them to gether for more of a wrap around. im also going to dye them and find some buckels well see how it turns out
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#19]
well i got it together its not 100 percent and my sticthing is not pretty, its been a while since i ran a sewing machine. i still need some triglides and to clean it up a bit and dye it green, i dont have anyother pouches to throw on it yet but its nice and low profile. it holds 6 mags, and i still need to get some shock cord for the closers

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks good! I shot for a few hours with mine on Saturday and am really pleased with it. I may change up my strap setup seeing yours though. Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#21]
i pretty much  copied my chicoms angles so the straps cross behind my back fairl comftorbly
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey OP....over in the newer thread on a similar topic, TR0N just upped the Simple, Cheap Chest Rig ante to +87.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey OP....over in the newer thread on a similar topic, TR0N just upped the Simple, Cheap Chest Rig ante to +87.
View Quote

I saw that! His craftsmanship is fantastic! Definitely a sweet rig, but something tells me his work moves it a bit away from "cheap", and more to "reasonable"
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I saw that! His craftsmanship is fantastic! Definitely a sweet rig, but something tells me his work moves it a bit away from "cheap", and more to "reasonable"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope...it's cheap. I know...I was surprised, too. You oghta get a sewing machine and give it a go!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Something I threw together a few years back before I bought better rig.  (My main rig was ALICE)

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Something I threw together a few years back before I bought better rig.  (My main rig was ALICE)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/05pouches_zps885e9111.jpg
View Quote

That's pretty neat. I have a couple of those bandoliers. They make convenient grab and go mag carriers.

How did you attach the ALICE pouches, and what did you do for the sternum strap? I usually just use a GP strap with the metal clips because it's easy and it's there. I'll probably play with rigging up a buckle to the bando with paracord, then make an adjustable strap from there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's pretty neat. I have a couple of those bandoliers. They make convenient grab and go mag carriers.

How did you attach the ALICE pouches, and what did you do for the sternum strap? I usually just use a GP strap with the metal clips because it's easy and it's there. I'll probably play with rigging up a buckle to the bando with paracord, then make an adjustable strap from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ALICE 1st aid pouches and waiste strap were put on with a needle and thread, by hand.  At one time I fancied myself a custom gear maker, but then I realized I had no inherent skill.  (Same thing happened with kydex)
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The ALICE 1st aid pouches and waiste strap were put on with a needle and thread, by hand.  At one time I fancied myself a custom gear maker, but then I realized I had no inherent skill.  (Same thing happened with kydex)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! I know the feeling. Thanks for the insight. I like playing around with stuff like this, but I buy my first-grab go-to gear.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
My take on it combining this and the no sew method.
It holds everything really securely but I wouldn't want to put much more weight on it due to the 1" straps not being super comfey.

Shock cord $5
Nylon straps $12
4 Triglides $2
1 Latch $.50
1 Latch Body $1
2 G-hooks $5
I also stole a few parts off some canteen pouches for the front buckles.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Those rigs are kickass.

We need a do it yourself/build your own gear section on this forum.

I have a 6 mag bandolier and have been thinking about this same concept.

Great job guys!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Shenanagins, nice work.  Can we see some pices of how you've attached everything?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Pic of the back:

G-Hooks on both sides are pretty straight forward:

Shock cord is just looped through the molle on the front and tied in the back. Had to punch a hole in the nylon on the outer two:

The canteen pouch clips were attached by punching 3 holes in the nylon, melting the loose /frayed remnants and attaching the clips:

Hole pattern on the original canteen pouch:

How I looped the straps to eliminate loose ends:

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Oops!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the pics.   I'm going to have to add one of these to my project list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top