Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 4:53:12 PM EDT
What is the difference between this (advertised combat gauze)

Combat Gauze

And this (quick clot gauze)

Gauze- but not "combat Gauze)

Besides just length.  My Combat Gauze has expired, and replacing several of them is a hard hit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Besides the length of gauze contained, I would guess zero.  Calling the manufacturer would be the easy way to find out.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC the military versions have an x-ray detectable strip in them due to the amount of hand off that could occur when out in the field.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
And then of course you have this too. Obviously it's a sponge and not a gauze, but still not sure what the real difference is.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The mil version has the blue strip in it for id'ing inside body to remove- aside from size , same formulation
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC the military versions have an x-ray detectable strip in them due to the amount of hand off that could occur when out in the field.
View Quote

This. Sponges or Gauze are both good to go
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
out of curiosity, what happens if you use an expired one?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most likely wont clot as well. Thats my guess.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]
A gauze is a gauze.
We still are packing our kits with expired hemostatic gauzes.
Of course technically this is not allowed but until our procurement system finally gets its act together we will keep them in our kits until we get replacements.
There is no established finding that hemostatics will not be as effective as fresh ones and even in the military they hold on to expired gauzes unless they are giving them away to the Afghan security forces.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A gauze is a gauze.

We still are packing our kits with expired hemostatic gauzes.

Of course technically this is not allowed but until our procurement system finally gets its act together we will keep them in our kits until we get replacements.

There is no established finding that hemostatics will not be as effective as fresh ones and even in the military they hold on to expired gauzes unless they are giving them away to the Afghan security forces.
View Quote
Good to know

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think the second one is Z folded.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not gonna throw the old ones away, will probably sacrifice one to make a video and training.  I like the idea of gauze vs sponge because it can be more easily shoved in to a wound.  The second one does not look like it is vacuum sealed which might make it harder to fit in my BOKs
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on how expired. Ive heard of ppl using them 2-3yrs exp'd w/o any problem.

Remember most expired med supplies that dont get used for training or destroyed, end up going to poor countries where they all of a sudden work just fine. Most exp dates are a joke as far as their time. If manufacturers put the real dates when the drug or whatever went bad, theyd never make any money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Outside of some meds like painkillers and what not I've always wondered about expire dates like what's on h-bandages. Those expire according to the label but they aren't impregnated with anything, so what exactly is expiring?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Outside of some meds like painkillers and what not I've always wondered about expire dates like what's on h-bandages. Those expire according to the label but they aren't impregnated with anything, so what exactly is expiring?
View Quote

The sterile guarantee
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The sterile guarantee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sterile guarantee

Didn't even think about that. Thanks.

How does that apply to other bandages though, I've seen a number of them labeled as sterile unless opened.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#16]
one shows up in an xray the other doesn't
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How does that apply to other bandages though, I've seen a number of them labeled as sterile unless opened.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sterile guarantee

The key point being the "guarantee". Obviously they could remain sterile for much longer. I think the manufacturer just has to put a date for how long they will stand behind their packaging. In other words, no air has been allowed to enter from outside.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
That's what I've always figured but no one has said otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Going back to what I already mentioned, again, a gauze is a gauze.
There are various regulations, compliance codes and other liability mechanisms in play in the medical industry.
Manufacturers need to guarantee, as mentioned in previous replies by other fellow AR-15ers, regarding the product as a whole, which includes the packaging.
I have some QuikClots that are no where near the expiration date that have pretty banged up and compromised packaging that renders the gauze useless, since most of these gauzes were extensively deployed in IFAKs and the users were engaged in heavy activity.
Obviously these have been repurposed as "show and tell" training aids.
Other QCs have rarely been touched and have packaging that looks like it came straight of the manufacturing line.
You just have to use common sense; these QCs have active ingredients that won't expire until the next best thing in hemostatic control comes out.
If the packaging and the gauze itself is compromised, chuck it.
If the packaging is intact and you can ascertain with some level of certainty that thr gauze has not been compromised, keep it as a back-up; better to have something than nothing.
I don't think anyone is going to sue you (hopefully, but you never know) for trying to assist in a life-saving hemorhage control procedure through the use of an expired QC.
Just be sure you are trained to properly use the QC; I am sure you know that the QC needs to be packed directly onto the bleeding sivht and this is not by any measure an easy task.

Me personally, I would always have a set of "fresh" gauzes.

I would also like to mention that the combat version of the QC may not be as applicable for civilian use unless you know that where ever you are going you will not be able to be evacuated to an advanced medical facility.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top