Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Condor love it except I wish the hood was removable/stow able( never mind I see this one doesn't have a hood). Somewhat decent in light rain but don't expect to stay dry in a good downpour, plenty of pocket room and really like how the tail is slightly longer but unable to tell in the picture if this one is.  Here is the one I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005XZY24M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1410618908&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both the Condor Summit and Rothco Spec Ops. I compared them in this thread

Delta Outdoorsman has a good price on the Condor Summit:
Delta Outdoorsman

Edit: realized you were talking about different jackets.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a hooded condor similar to your link.  I really like it. I typically wear an XL (6' 238lbs) but the condor runs small. Got an XXL and it fits well.  I treat mine with a product to boost the DWR and it does well in medium rain or lighter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
My condor lasted two years before the zipper went tits up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you looking for? A causal jacket or an outdoors jacket? For causal I think they look silly with the Velcro and the sizing is a little weird compared to the TAD. For an outdoors jacket I think you are better off getting a surplus AOR or Multicam jacket.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The Condor Summit I have has held up well. I would buy another one.

I will be buying a few of the Costco Kirkland softshell jackets.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you looking for? A causal jacket or an outdoors jacket? For causal I think they look silly with the Velcro and the sizing is a little weird compared to the TAD. For an outdoors jacket I think you are better off getting a surplus AOR or Multicam jacket.
View Quote

something i can wear whenever and/or use when at the range/training. i like to be out in all types of weather. i hate heavy coats so i am eyeing these.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Slight thread hijack, but for those of you who removed the velcro panels on the sleeves, are the holes noticeable? I removed the velcro patches on a TAD fleece and the holes weren't noticeable, but I figure a soft-shell material might make it a bit more obvious?

I used to have a Condor Phantom and it was great for the money. The build quality couldn't compared to my TAD Stealth, but for the price, you really can't complain.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Arc'teryx or TAD.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Have had a condor for about a year and really like it. Has been on lots of training days, hikes and camp outs and held up well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Costco soft shell. $20 bucks. Better quality than the Condor and they don't scream tactical.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Tru-Spec makes a softshell with no Velcro. Just laying it out there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my 24/7 I wore it a lot last winter but it hasn't gotten worn much since. None of my jackets have.  Winter is coming thought and I wore it yesterday. Still like it.
Comfortable, tight fit, warm when you want and cool when you open the pockets due to the mesh that lets the heat out. I've worn it down to 25 degrees and it was GTG. I wish the neck was a little tighter on it but I'm between sizes and went with the larger size. A scarf/shemagh under it fixes that though.  I really like the length in the sleeves and the large pockets. Extremely comfortable for me. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 for the Condor. Had mine for 2 years, still going strong. Main zipper has always been just slightly wonky, but nothing to complain about on an $80 jacket with that much functionality. Materials and stitching has held up through a decent amount of use. Taken it hiking, range shooting, overseas traveling, and just regular wear.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Arc'teryx or TAD.
View Quote

Arc.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Arc'teryx or TAD.
View Quote

i have a 99%er budget, not a 1%er. arc's are well out of my price range unless it's a knock-off. trying to stay sub-$80, or sub $100 tops
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i have a 99%er budget, not a 1%er. arc's are well out of my price range unless it's a knock-off. trying to stay sub-$80, or sub $100 tops
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arc'teryx or TAD.

The Condor is a knock-off of the TAD. I have the TAD I got without the silly Velcro as a casual jacket. It's a great jacket. Looks like a cool motorcycle riding jacket. However slap some Velcro on it and it is not built for outdoor use IMO. Not because of quality, just because of the material. You say you don't want a heavy jacket, however I will tell you the TAD is a heavy, non-compressible jacket. Which is why I would not recommend it as a "fighting jacket". The TAD Stealth is also not 100% waterproof. Like I said, it's best used as a casual jacket. The Condor being a knockoff of the TAD, I don't see that perspective getting any better.

As RTUtah said, the Arcteryx really is the way to go for a "fighting" or outdoors jacket. Maybe the TAD Stealth LT would be a good option too, but the Stealth is just too heavy. My advice would again to look on ebay and pickup a surplus Multicam jacket or one of those new AOR2 jackets. They are both around the $100 mark

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 Arc'teryx

But since that's not what the OP is looking for....

The Condor and Rothco are virtually the same Jacket.  I did not like the fit of the Condor that I bought a couple of years back and sold it.  It's not a bad jacket it just wasn't for me.

Quoted:

Arc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arc'teryx or TAD.

Arc.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#20]
another vote for Condor Summit...is GTG
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#21]
No expert I mostly go by what I read but one school of thought is that soft shells aren't a good buy; instead, get layers to go underneath a hard shell. You can get surplus Gore-Tex hard shells (ECWCS) for under $100 (tops and bottoms, all in) if you shop around eBay. You can get them in woodland or digital camo. Then you can layer whatever you want beneath the hard shell. This is outdoor/hiking/bushcraft advice. If you're just looking for something fashionable or casual, ignore me. As for Arc-Teryx, I'd rather spend the hundreds of dollars I save on a new rifle kit or something.

Edit: I see you want something for utility. In that case I definitely recommend surplus ECWCS hard shells.

I've only made about 5 surplus purchases from eBay but so far, the vendors' assessments of item condition have been quite conservative. I always buy from highly-rated vendors though, 95%+ positive, with lots of ratings. Everything I've bought in "very good" or better condition has been "like new" IMO. Some stuff, I can't find the wear until I break out the loupe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No expert I mostly go by what I read but one school of thought is that soft shells aren't a good buy; instead, get layers to go underneath a hard shell. You can get surplus Gore-Tex hard shells (ECWCS) for under $100 (tops and bottoms, all in) if you shop around eBay. You can get them in woodland or digital camo. Then you can layer whatever you want beneath the hard shell. This is outdoor/hiking/bushcraft advice. If you're just looking for something fashionable or casual, ignore me. As for Arc-Teryx, I'd rather spend the hundreds of dollars I save on a new rifle kit or something.

Edit: I see you want something for utility. In that case I definitely recommend surplus ECWCS hard shells.

I've only made about 5 surplus purchases from eBay but so far, the vendors' assessments of item condition have been quite conservative. I always buy from highly-rated vendors though, 95%+ positive, with lots of ratings. Everything I've bought in "very good" or better condition has been "like new" IMO. Some stuff, I can't find the wear until I break out the loupe.
View Quote

I don't agree with this. I have both and the soft shell gets worn way more. Probably 20 to 1. Extreme weather: hardshell. Everything else: soft shell.
Sorry it's just way more comfortable and I find that ECWCS is overkill most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Ive had my condor for almost two years now and love it. wear it daily in the winter. great buy for the money.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread got me looking and rothco has a woodland softshell I think I'm going to get for hunting, I know it's not the newest coolest camo I have just always liked it and it blends in well here and it's half the price of the condor multicam. Isn't rothco made in the U.S. as well?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Sovaprepper, Rothco has a lousy reputation for quality. I hear "it fell apart" a lot. Caveat emptor.

Quoted:I don't agree with this. I have both and the soft shell gets worn way more. Probably 20 to 1. Extreme weather: hardshell. Everything else: soft shell.
Sorry it's just way more comfortable and I find that ECWCS is overkill most of the time.
View Quote

No need to apologize for disagreeing with me. That's what these discussions are for. I do think that for the money, a surplus hard shell makes more sense. It's way more versatile. But a Condor soft shell does make it a different conversation; gear in the Arc'teryx price range makes it a no-brainer IMO.

There's always the "price is no object" aspect to these conversations, but then I always find it less than persuasive because price is always a concern. Nobody has infinite resources and money spent in one place can't be spent in another. But there's no arguing with personal preference. GG
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Interesting stuff. I'm leaning towards the condor. (but read below) i'd rather have a soft shell with a layer or 2 underneath that I can add or remove as needed then be saddled with a heavy coat.

I'm always hot and hate hate hate heavy coats. Give me a thermal and a soft shell and I'm gravy.

I purchased a Walmart brand soft shell a few years back for like $30. Amazingly it was well made and in general kept me warm. I've since lost so much weight it swims on me. It he Walmart by me has them for sale again - $29. The Xl  fits me perfect and it doesn't scream tactical Timmy. I'll probably save the extra $50-60 and get the Walmart one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]
as for the fleece lined soft shells. I have a few north face ones and a few generic ones. They are pretty much all the same minus the DWR that you can update yourself. If you don't want the tactical ones I have no idea why someone would pay more for a "tactical" one and remove the velcro when you can by a wally world/sams club, costco one for $20-30.

I just got a Massif elements in multicam with velcro and love it. It is fire resistant too

I also got a North face apex in OD that I love

and I have an underarmor tactical one with no lining that I love in the warmer temps.

Ok I have way to many softshells
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top