Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2014 2:28:55 PM EDT
As the title says, I looking to get some kit going for the upcoming snow.  I've already got some good overwhites and ECW gear, but now I need to focus on chest rigs and the such.  I know Beez does, but after the SNAFU the other member had....  I'd like to go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I was waiting for that...
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was waiting for that...
View Quote
I did it as a tag to see what all is available since we're going to have an ever increasing amount of Al Gore's global warming here in north Texas and wanted to see what was recommended so as to make an intelligent selection in hunting gear.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Will we get some Multicam Alpine in time for Winter?

Suppressed Alpine
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Suppressed Alpine
View Quote

must have...
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Alpine, Yeti...someone has to be making gear!  I just can't seem to find it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I think nomad would work good for winter.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

must have...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suppressed Alpine

must have...

I'll try to get through these "Where To Buy" links today
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suppressed Alpine

must have...
I'll try to get through these "Where To Buy" links today
Went through all 74 dealers linked at MultiCam site to find the camo pattern below, but didn't find it.

ETA: Found an email address of a MultiCam printer, I've requested a dealer list to see if/where that pattern is available.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
must have...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Suppressed Alpine

must have...
droool

but your going to lose any hit that falls off

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
How about Kryptek Yeti:
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
wganz. If you locate a dealer please let us know.  I need me some snow multicam!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#13]

When I originally saw Krypteks stuff, I thought it was just a passing fad. Now that I am seeing people using their camo, I am starting to like how it looks and functions. I might have to pick up a suit of that...
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#14]
They are hard to find at a decent price but at least they are not vaporware.

Snow MARPAT
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Snow marpat is cool, but I personally use acu in winter. Seems to do a good job in the now and brush. Plus its cheap
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I think this is interesting. VertX overwhites

Anyone have experience?

For just over whites that won't see a ton of use I had hoped to keep it in the $50 or less for a set.  Is there any options in that range?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#17]
ATACS-AU would work well in winter amongst dead/bare trees. Those vertx overwhites look interesting in lieu of snow MARPAT & MC Alpine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the vertx overwhites.  Love them, but wish there was a leg zipper.  Hard to wear heavy pack boots and get these over them.

That being said, I would think SOMEONE is making gear in a snow camo besides overwhites.  I'm debating trying to bleach ACU.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Given the AM temps lately, I'm tempted to break the sewing machine back out and restart that sniper smock project.
This time using some winter camo pattern.
The problem is, just where to find it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Would LOVE the Multicam Winter coveralls. If anyone finds those please post them up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been looking for those patterns as well without success. The only winter pattern cordura I can find is the commercial hunting patterns.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
As far as overwhites go, you can always take a crack at making your own by following existing pattern templates and using this:

http://multicamfabric.com/shop-fabrics/multicam-alpine-over-white

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#23]
By the way...A very cheap and effective (and multi-use) overwhite is a DuPont Tyvek suit. They are chemical suits so they can keep you dry, but they breath. They match snow well, they are about $5-10per set.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#24]
db_17_85, Which overwhites do you have?

As far as nylon gear goes, Krytek Yeti and TruTimber MC2 snow are the only winter-camo patterns I've found available printed on cordura nylon. If you're not interested in BCS, you'll probably have to go custom. Personally, I'm not too concerned about having winter-camo nylon gear. The people in the pictures above seem to blend in fairly well without it, and I figure it helps to break up the human outline. YMMV.

BCS makes nylon gear in Kryptek Yeti. I suggest you check out the recent multi-page thread before you buy. edit: reading is fundamental

Velocity Systems makes Kryptek Yeti overwhites.

Vertx makes Duro PXL overwhites.

Nobody makes Multicam Alpine overwhites yet as far as I'm aware.

The problem is, last time I checked Yeti is only available as 500D and lightweight polyester, Alpine and Duro PXL are only available as lightweight polyester. None of these fabrics are waterproof. Paying that kind of premium for a snow garment that isn't waterproof doesn't make any sense to me. Velocity and Vertx would need to make their overwhites with a breathable membrane layer before I would even consider them. What these companies really need to do is get their pattern printed on Gore-Tex and then make a garment that has mesh lined, zippered vents on the inseam and under the arm pits.

I hope someone is smart enough to make a Gen III level six coat and pants with Multicam Alpine. However, that doesn't seem very likely since the powers that be decided not to adopt multicam for the military. Maybe Arc'teryx will come out with something in Alpine (for $800 per set )?

I have a set of Cabelas overwhites, advertised as waterproof but they're not. Would've been better off with lightweight polyester.

Just thought I would share my thus far futile attempts to find a practical winter-camo snow garment with you guys.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't think snow camo colored gear is as necessary or important as snow camo colored clothing. The cost of quality gear is high compared to the maybe/maybe not probability of it snowing, and then snowing enough to justify use of ALL SNOW CAMO vs. wearing your gear over the overwhites or having something over your gear through which you can still reach into and grab mags and the like.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#26]
brewsky101,

I have the Vertx overwhites as well as the marine ones, old-school cotton, german poncho..etc.  While the Vertx are not waterproof, they are certainly water resistant.  To the point that I can make a cup with my hand in the sleeve and hold water in it for as long as I care to.  Plus the snow sheds off it very well.  No clumps weighing you down when you stand up from a snow drift.

Also, I find the Marine ones to be too darkly colored for my area.  The Vertx set uses much lighter shades of gray.

As for wearing the gear over the overwhites....     I live in ND.  When it snows, it SNOWS.  Tree cover is almost non-existent and anything other than white stands out in a bad way.  I realize that my situation may be the minority, but with gear being made in almost every natural color and more camo patterns than ever, I would think snow would be on that list.  It seems like the manufacturers believe that the only environments are city, forest, and desert.

I'll be attempting to bleach ACU soon.  If all else fails I'll either give BCS a shot (really don't want to) or just wear it all under the overwhites.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
brewsky101,

I have the Vertx overwhites as well as the marine ones, old-school cotton, german poncho..etc.  While the Vertx are not waterproof, they are certainly water resistant.  To the point that I can make a cup with my hand in the sleeve and hold water in it for as long as I care to.  Plus the snow sheds off it very well.  No clumps weighing you down when you stand up from a snow drift.

Also, I find the Marine ones to be too darkly colored for my area.  The Vertx set uses much lighter shades of gray.

As for wearing the gear over the overwhites....     I live in ND.  When it snows, it SNOWS.  Tree cover is almost non-existent and anything other than white stands out in a bad way.  I realize that my situation may be the minority, but with gear being made in almost every natural color and more camo patterns than ever, I would think snow would be on that list.  It seems like the manufacturers believe that the only environments are city, forest, and desert.

I'll be attempting to bleach ACU soon.  If all else fails I'll either give BCS a shot (really don't want to) or just wear it all under the overwhites.
View Quote

Will definitely need a thread on the bleaching of ACU attempt!  Do you not expect the bleach to significantly weaken the material?

Also thanks for the info on the Vertx over whites.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Will do.

As for weakening it....maybe?  I think the nylon will handle it though.

For clarity:  By "bleach" I'm talking about using the Rit Dye Remover.  Supposed to be safe on nylon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone tried spary painting there gear white?  I was curious to see how well it would hold up and if the cold would make it to brittle and flake off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried spary painting there gear white?  I was curious to see how well it would hold up and if the cold would make it to brittle and flake off.
View Quote

I have done it with both regular Krylon paints and fabric spray paint.  The fabric spray lasted longer but both of them needed to be touched up after a few trips out.  The fabric paints don't smell, to me anyway.

I've done both generic cotton over-whites from Italian surplus and some of the synthetic tyvek-type stuff like a hospital uses.  The tyvek is better at not getting waterlogged.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#31]
If anyone find the yeti camo cordura fabric let me kwno. The guy I use for when I build holsters hasn't gotten any yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I found a Yeti overwhites set on the Kryptek site but its currently out of stock. If they get any more back in for 150 as they have it listed, it wouldn't be a bad deal for the set. Overwhites Set - Yeti

I am on the look out for some Pencott Snowdrift...

I think this would work great in my neck of the woods. Not a lot of deep snow here, and a good amount of grass and branches seen through the snow cover.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
brewsky101,

Vertx are not waterproof, they are certainly water resistant.  To the point that I can make a cup with my hand in the sleeve and hold water in it for as long as I care to.  Plus the snow sheds off it very well.  No clumps weighing you down when you stand up from a snow drift.
View Quote

Interesting, thanks for posting that.

Are the seams taped on those Vertx overwhites? Do you think there are any other drawbacks besides the lack of a zipper on the legs? I think you may have convinced me to pick up a set for some butchery & reconstruction.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Are the seams taped on those Vertx overwhites? Do you think there are any other drawbacks besides the lack of a zipper on the legs? I think you may have convinced me to pick up a set for some butchery & reconstruction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
brewsky101,

Vertx are not waterproof, they are certainly water resistant.  To the point that I can make a cup with my hand in the sleeve and hold water in it for as long as I care to.  Plus the snow sheds off it very well.  No clumps weighing you down when you stand up from a snow drift.

I'll have to check tonight.  I don't recall and seam tape though.  Overall...I really like them.  The cargo pockets are a little questionable for heavy items, but that's to be expected with the light weight of the fabric.  Are there any close-ups or details you'd like to see?  I can take pics if you want.  Oh, and if you look around hard enough you can find an old 40% off code that worked well for me last year (the code was already a year+ old then).

So it seems we can find overwhites.....no gear though.  Mayflower advertised some gear in Yeti on SoldierSystems a while back, but it never came to production.  Ugh...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I wonder if Crye plans to release the Half-Jak in MC Alpine. Or if one can easily fashion a DIY overwhite cover for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'll have to check tonight.  I don't recall and seam tape though.  Overall...I really like them.  The cargo pockets are a little questionable for heavy items, but that's to be expected with the light weight of the fabric.  Are there any close-ups or details you'd like to see?  I can take pics if you want.  Oh, and if you look around hard enough you can find an old 40% off code that worked well for me last year (the code was already a year+ old then).

So it seems we can find overwhites.....no gear though.  Mayflower advertised some gear in Yeti on SoldierSystems a while back, but it never came to production.  Ugh...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
brewsky101,

I tried 3GN40 and no dice that was the only 40% code I could find.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Well crap.  I dug up the code I used and it's dead too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#38]
We (Tactical Tailor) have made a few packs for Grey Ghost using Yeti, they should be for sale on their website

The material was 330d vs. the traditional 500d or 1000d, but it should hold up fine for the majority of users out there
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I have ordered a shipment of Multicam Alpine and will be manufacturing some over whites as well as backpack covers. There are few options available for over whites, and since Multicam cost more than most other patterns and to keep the sales price low, I'll be making a no frills set of over whites. Just wanted to get some idea of interest on here. would you consider over whites without all the pockets and zippers. I'm thinking a simple pullover design with short zippers on the sides or snaps even.  If you could customize your own pair what would you want ideally? Tell me what you think?

M3Tactical
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have ordered a shipment of Multicam Alpine and will be manufacturing some over whites as well as backpack covers. There are few options available for over whites, and since Multicam cost more than most other patterns and to keep the sales price low, I'll be making a no frills set of over whites. Just wanted to get some idea of interest on here. would you consider over whites without all the pockets and zippers. I'm thinking a simple pullover design with short zippers on the sides or snaps even.  If you could customize your own pair what would you want ideally? Tell me what you think?

M3Tactical
View Quote

That's really interesting, thanks for taking the initiative. What are your projected costs per variation? Maybe we can all work towards helping come up with the best setup/cost ratio, features, stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

M3Tactical
View Quote

Ideally want and keeping the sales price low do not often coincide.   I'd love to give ideas feedback etc.  What capabilities do you have to execute them?  Not being rude just trying to get an idea on what you have/can do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top