Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2014 5:40:53 PM EDT
So in a SHTF scenario, I would guess a radio would be pretty handy, to communicate with the rest of your team, should you need.  

What radios are you guys using/buying for such a purpose, and how much do they typically run?  

On a side note, I was in Costco yesterday, and they had some Motorola walkies, that claimed a 35 mile range.  I didn't spend long looking at them, but they looked pretty decent; as in not kids toys.  I am sure that is not practical for a true range, but I would think they would have at least some value, in an end of the world situation.  

Let's discuss!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The baofengs are good for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5R-136-174-400-480-Dual-Band/dp/B007H4VT7A

I'd still really like to hook mine up to my peltor headset but I haven't gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of radios are your friends using now?

You have several choices if you guys dont already have any radios.

FRS: These are the blister pack radios you see for sale, like the ones you mentioned. Motorola makes great stuff, but realize that the range on these radios are no where near 35 miles. I am happy if I can get 1-2 miles where I live.

GMRS: You have to buy the permit to use these, but you can pump more watts, and use better antennas. Cool part about this service is you buy one permit and your whole family can use them, even your extended family. IMO this is a great idea for short range service.

Ham: You have to pass the test to get your ticket, but this is the most versatile of all the types of radios. With the use of repeaters or HF radios you can get extended ranges like what you are talking about.

First step is talking with your buddys or family and find out what you guys want to spend and how much work you want to put into this. Like everything there is no free lunch, you need to get out and use the gear not just buy it and hope it works when the time comes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd still really like to hook mine up to my peltor headset but I haven't gotten around to it.
View Quote

get the v2 units but otherwise this  
the chirp software will let you customize the radio. if your worried about security some models of the 82 and 888 series will allow for scrambling through audio inversion.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Lets say you decide you want to go with Ham radios and now you are looking to set up your equipment for hunting, or just general range use.

Side note: I have seen RSO at 3 gun matches have radios hooked into there electronic ear pro so they can talk to each other while on diffrent stages, great real world use of this gear. I myself am looking at this from a hunting angle, as I don't have cell service where we normally hunt. Of course shtf is a great reason to, just get out and use this stuff.

Lets say you guys want something cheap to get your feet wet with.

You can sub this out for a FRS or GMRS radio if you dont want to get your Ham Ticket.

So for 100.00 bucks you have a Cheap Personal com setup. I have not use these piece together so I can not speak to the durability of them.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Will try and post some more links after a while.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Badfish,

I have a Baofeng. What's a great 5/8 or similar sized antenna for 2M that is rugged enough to would work well in the field? Something that attaches to your kit on your front or back and is a major improvement over the rubber ducky.

I am applying for my GMRS and eventually HAM, so I'd like to buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
One additional thing about getting an amateur radio (HAM) license that often gets overlooked in these discussions is taking the HAM class you learn a hell of a lot about antennas, signal propagation and some electronics. So my point being you learn some valuable skills. It's always a good thing to know how to make antennas from shit laying around your house and how to make and repair coax. The license allows you to use the HAM radio and get some experience.  In a SHTF type scenario no one is going to enforce fcc regs, when there is no fcc. Even in an emergency you do what you need to if it's you only way to get help.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you know if this radio is water resistant?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
So what radio is compatible with the 3M Peltor?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Badfish,

I have a Baofeng. What's a great 5/8 or similar sized antenna for 2M that is rugged enough to would work well in the field? Something that attaches to your kit on your front or back and is a major improvement over the rubber ducky.

View Quote
GMRS frequency start at 462.5500 and run to 467.7250 so I would be looking for antenna optimized for that range.

The 2 meter band covers 144.000 to 148.000 so you will have to find a antenna for that range also.

I don't know if you can find one antenna for both, just make sure to check the specs (make sure the frequency ranges are what you are going to be using) as if you are using the wrong antenna I belive you can damage your radio.

I have been bugging some local ham guys to rig me up a antenna extension cord so I can mount my antenna on the back of my plate carrier. Sounds like that is what you are looking for.

Also keep in mind that Technically the Baofeng is not approved for GMRS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Peltor has there own plug that you must buy to input audio. That is the last link missing from my comm gear (besides upgrading the antenna), I am hoping they will work with my Baofeng radio (don't see why it would not).

Edit: I might have miss understood your question as I am talking about just imputing audio into a set of Peltor Tactical Ear Pro, if you are talking about what radios work with the ComTac I don't have the answer.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of these.  These are the Peltor Radio PTT adapters.  Anything off this list would have to be custom, as some guys have done.  If you are handy with electronics and understand radios, you could probably do it.  There are some threads regarding converting PTTs to work with certain radios.  Seems complicated to me, so I just went with one of the radios off this list to work with my ComTacIII's.

Part Number Description
FL-5601-02 AN/PRC 148 MBITR and AN/PRC 150, 152 Falcon Series, PRC117, PRC 119 SINCGARS
FL-5601-04 AN/PRC 148 MBITR and AN/PRC 150, 152 Falcon Series, PRC117, PRC 119 SINCGARS - 10 foot long straight cable
FL-5601-09 AN/VIC-3 bail-out connection
FL-5010-02 Icom IC-F3S style connector
FL-5034-02 Icom IC-F43GS style connector
FL-5094-02 Icom F30GT/GS, F40GT/GS, F41GT/GS
FL-5012-02 ASTRO SABRE I, II, III, -R
FL-5014-02 Motorola GP300 style connector
FL-5018-02 Motorola XTS Series connector, PRC 153 IISR
FL-5030-02 Motorola HT750 style connector
FL-5063-02 Motorola APX range
FL-5082-02 Motorola Radios: FRS Single Jack Radios, T-200 Series, T-5000 Series, T6000 Series, FR50/60, SprintGT/GT+, Rino130, SRX700R

FL-5035-02 Kenwood Radio - 2 pin connector
FL-5078-02 Kenwood Radio - multi pin connector - TK-280, 290, 380, 390, 480, 481, 2140/3140, 2180/3180, 2140/3140
FL-5701-02 DUAL COMM PTT ADAPTOR for AN/PRC 148 MBITR and AN/PRC 150, 152 Falcon Series, PRC117, PRC 119 SINCGARS - TWO downleads, each with a radio connector
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Badfish,

View Quote

Did you know that that ARFCOM is home to one of the best, if not the best Ham radio forum on the 'Net?

Go to Outdoors > Ham Radio.

Asking radio questions in there, even for folks who don't plan on getting their ham license, always gets a  polite and well informed answer.

And if you're planning on taking that test, you'll get a ton of good info about that as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
GMRS frequency start at 462.5500 and run to 467.7250 so I would be looking for antenna optimized for that range.

The 2 meter band covers 144.000 to 148.000 so you will have to find a antenna for that range also.

I don't know if you can find one antenna for both, just make sure to check the specs (make sure the frequency ranges are what you are going to be using) as if you are using the wrong antenna I belive you can damage your radio.

I have been bugging some local ham guys to rig me up a antenna extension cord so I can mount my antenna on the back of my plate carrier. Sounds like that is what you are looking for.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Badfish,

You mean something like this??
Linky
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did you know that that ARFCOM is home to one of the best, if not the best Ham radio forum on the 'Net?

Asking radio questions in there, even for folks who don't plan on getting their ham license, always gets a  polite and well informed answer.

And if you're planning on taking that test, you'll get a ton of good info about that as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Badfish,

Don't do it, it's a trap! I stopped in there several months ago to ask a simple question. Next thing I know, I'm an Extra class licensee.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lets say you decide you want to go with Ham radios and now you are looking to set up your equipment for hunting, or just general range use.

Side note: I have seen RSO at 3 gun matches have radios hooked into there electronic ear pro so they can talk to each other while on diffrent stages, great real world use of this gear. I myself am looking at this from a hunting angle, as I don't have cell service where we normally hunt. Of course shtf is a great reason to, just get out and use this stuff.

Radio: http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5RA-136-174-Dual-Band-Transceiver/dp/B009MAKWC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409526233&sr=8-1&keywords=baofeng+uv5ra
You can sub this out for a FRS or GMRS radio if you dont want to get your Ham Ticket.

Electric Ear Pro: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409526280&sr=8-1&keywords=electric+ear+pro

Push to Talk: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-BaoFeng-Push-To-Talk-Speaker-Mic/dp/B00KZ6PFB8/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1409526324&sr=8-14&keywords=kenwood+push+to+talk

Cable for audio out on Push to Talk to Electric Ear Pro: http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LTEUDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409526483&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5+mm+audio+cable

So for 100.00 bucks you have a Cheap Personal com setup. I have not use these piece together so I can not speak to the durability of them.

View Quote

Good info..... actually I do believe a cable comes with the howard leights... at least one did with mine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FRS: These are the blister pack radios you see for sale, like the ones you mentioned. Motorola makes great stuff, but realize that the range on these radios are no where near 35 miles. I am happy if I can get 1-2 miles where I live.

GMRS: You have to buy the permit to use these, but you can pump more watts, and use better antennas. Cool part about this service is you buy one permit and your whole family can use them, even your extended family. IMO this is a great idea for short range service.

Ham: You have to pass the test to get your ticket, but this is the most versatile of all the types of radios. With the use of repeaters or HF radios you can get extended ranges like what you are talking about.

First step is talking with your buddys or family and find out what you guys want to spend and how much work you want to put into this. Like everything there is no free lunch, you need to get out and use the gear not just buy it and hope it works when the time comes.
View Quote

Okay, so maybe I should clarify a little more.  My "team" if you will, have no radios.  I have no crazy illusions, about the blister pack radios reaching 35 miles.  But a couple of miles would most likely be sufficient for my needs.  Reaching way out in the realm of possibilities, in a SHTF type gig, I would think a couple of miles would be fine, if you needed to run some type of a security operation, or supply run.  In other words, I would almost think simpler would be better in some cases.  

Am I flawed in my thinking???

I would think that being able to communcate in any way, would be pretty big.  

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MT352TPR-FRS-Weatherproof-Two-Way/dp/B007UKVO3U/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409587740&sr=1-5&keywords=motorola+walkie+talkies
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Okay, so maybe I should clarify a little more.  My "team" if you will, have no radios.  I have no crazy illusions, about the blister pack radios reaching 35 miles.  But a couple of miles would most likely be sufficient for my needs.  Reaching way out in the realm of possibilities, in a SHTF type gig, I would think a couple of miles would be fine, if you needed to run some type of a security operation, or supply run.  In other words, I would almost think simpler would be better in some cases.  

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MT352TPR-FRS-Weatherproof-Two-Way/dp/B007UKVO3U/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409587740&sr=1-5&keywords=motorola+walkie+talkies
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Motorola makes some great stuff, but the downside to those radios is they are limited to 0.5 watts output, and do not have removable Antennas. Your terrain will dictate how far you can communicate with pretty much all line of site radios (they all are except for HF).

The advantage of the Ham radios, and GMRS (not the blister pack ones) are you are able to use 5.0 watts, and better Antennas, this is where the better range come from. In my area if I am down in a valley, my distance is pretty low, but get on a mountain and even these low powered hand radios can broadcast several miles, of course the better the antenna on the receiving end will dictate some of that range also.  

If you want to buy that pack and see how they work for you that's not a bad idea, it might be all you need. Of course if they dont you can always upgrade to Ham or GMRS, and keep those radios for hand out units. Nice part about going with GMRS radios (you will need the permit) is you can still talk to your blister pack radios (the ones you linked to) of course your purpose built GMRS radios will have better range than the Blister pack ones.

Ideally you and your friends would all get there Ham tickets, that would give you more options in radios. Or you can get your GMRS permit, and anyone who is not a family member would have to get there also. I am planing on both, as I know my wife will never get a ham ticket. Or stick with the FRS radios where you dont need any kind of permit.

I am no expert on the subject of radios hell I don't even have my ham ticket yet, but I have been doing some research into the subject for the same reasons you are talking about, so just trying to pass on what I have learned thus far.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a set of the same Motorola radios.  They are junk.  35 miles mayyyyyyybe if you both are about halfway between earth and the moon and full batteries and lucky.  On earth with trees and air and stuff?  No way.  I've had trouble getting them to be reliable from one ridgeline to the next with limited tree cover.

Get either the Baufung or similar.  I have a Yeasu and it works GREAT.  If it's not working well, you aren't using it right, that's what it boils down to.  You can't (legally) encrypt or use code, and these are very public, but we found that if you are just trying to communicate very close as in airsoft or paintball, you can remove the antenna and you'll only transmit or receive from 1/4 mile or so, which is pretty nice.  As you change your needs, change antennas and frequency.  If you really need to get out there you need to hit a repeater, which the Yeasu does very well.

Also, a modification on these is very quick and easy to allow the user access to FMRS and GMRS frequencies, but again fees are to be paid.

You'll need a ham radio license.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Radio: http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5RA-136-174-Dual-Band-Transceiver/dp/B009MAKWC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409526233&sr=8-1&keywords=baofeng+uv5ra

Electric Ear Pro: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409526280&sr=8-1&keywords=electric+ear+pro

Push to Talk: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-BaoFeng-Push-To-Talk-Speaker-Mic/dp/B00KZ6PFB8/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1409526324&sr=8-14&keywords=kenwood+push+to+talk

Cable for audio out on Push to Talk to Electric Ear Pro: http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LTEUDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409526483&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5+mm+audio+cable

View Quote

Add this cable for use with peltor earpro.

I use the Nagoya NA-771 with my Baofeng uv-5r. It's a great setup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a couple of UV5Rs. I figure if it's TEOTWAWKI, then the last thing I'm worried about is the FCC kicking in my door.
Until then they will work on the GMRS freqs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I faced the same question a while back and ended up going with some public safety trade in Motorola HT750 VHFs off of ebay for $300 for 2 with external mics, new batteries, and chargers.  Radios are in great shape, perform perfectly and the dealer I bought from programmed them for me to be compatible with some fellow pig hunters channels.  They work perfectly with my Peltor PTT switches on my Comtac III headsets.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I have looked into this my self.  This combination I know will work without any modification by yourself or a company.

Radio: Yaesu VX 6R
http://www.twowayradioonline.com/VX6R.asp

PTT: SRS Tactical Avenger SingleCom PTT Yaesu/Vertex YAE!/SC
http://www.srstactical.com/communications/law-enforcement/avenger-singlecom-tactical-radio-ptt-adaptor/pt.html

(SIDE NOTE: TCI is also a great resource.  I believe that they do custom work and will match a PTT to any radio you have for a price )  In

EarPro: Sordin or Peltor with Nexus connector (I got a Sordin Ranger head set off ebay for $250ish)

Sordin:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSA-Sordin-MICH-Ranger-Dual-Comm-Headset-75311-New-/331302409811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d23299653
Peltor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-Peltor-COMTAC-III-Single-Comm-Brand-New-Advance-Combat-Headset-L-K-/351160387958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c2ca4976

Try Ebay under Sordin or Peltor and you find PTTs for various radios and ear pro.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsordin+&_nkw=sordin+&_sacat=0

HERE IS A GREAT SET UP: on page 174 of post your gear porn page Part 2 under shooter 101

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/302847_Post_your_gear_porn_here______Part_two_.html&page=174
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay, so the baofeng radios....are they quality stuff?  Do I need any special liscense to use them?  Is the linked model a good one to start off with?  

Let's start there.  We will build offf of that.  

You guys.....you freaking cost me money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it possible?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Is it possible?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it possible?

Boafeng uses the same connector as a kenwood so it might work.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Okay, so the baofeng radios....are they quality stuff?  Do I need any special liscense to use them?  Is the linked model a good one to start off with?  

View Quote

The Baofeng radios are HAM radios, meaning you need a HAM (amateur) radio licence to legally operate them.  Getting your "ticket" into the HAM world is worth the small effort, and will give you a lot of capability - but everyone in your group will need to also get a license to use their radios and talk back to you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Baofeng radios are HAM radios, meaning you need a HAM (amateur) radio licence to legally operate them.  Getting your "ticket" into the HAM world is worth the small effort, and will give you a lot of capability - but everyone in your group will need to also get a license to use their radios and talk back to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use mine as a business band radio. They will also comply as a GMRS radios on part of the band.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Badfish, the system that you linked....Would that be a decent starter setup?  What kind of range would I get from that?

Thank all of you guys for taking the time to add to this.  I really appreciate it, in spite of you bastards costing me money.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I use mine as a business band radio. They will also comply as a GMRS radios on part of the band.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using ham without a license is illegal and using a ham as gmrs is illegal unless it complys with the power and antenna restrictions. It's a low risk use but none the less still illegal by FCC regs. As to using it as business class I don't know anything about that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Using ham without a license is illegal and using a ham as gmrs is illegal unless it complys with the power and antenna restrictions. It's a low risk use but none the less still illegal by FCC regs. As to using it as business class I don't know anything about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Transmitting on any band is illegal if unlicensed, with the exception of bands that are unlicensed like FRS and CB. The radio is capable of being programmed to operate on ham, GMRS, FRS and several commercial bands. The operation is legal if your licensed to operate on that freq.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm no expert, but I don't believe the Baofang radio is "allowed" to be used on GMRS/FRS or other freqs outside of the ham bands.

http://wb7tjd.org/wiki/FRS,_GMRS_and_MURS_%28Radio_Services_under_FCC_Part_95_Rules%29

Am I misinformed?

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I am more fucking confused than when I started this shit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's because the legal aspects of operating a radio in this country are not common knowledge. These laws create an inconvenience for some folks, and this leads folks to post suggestions on the internet that involve a direct violation of Federal law with the justification that "No One Will Ever Know". Note that I didn't say the laws made any sense at all - they often don't - but there they are.

That said, you can sort all this out and gain the capability you're looking for.

Start from the beginning, and ask yourself a few questions:
Who do you want to talk to?
What are they willing to do to make this happen (Buy gear, pay for a license, study for/take a test, practice use, etc.)?
How far away will they be?
Over what terrain?
Do you need security/encryption/frequency hopping?

With those thoughts in mind, grab a beverage and give the following a read:
Two-Way Radio
FCC
CB
FRS
GMRS
MURS
Amateur Radio

Also, as others have mentioned, we have our own Ham Radio sub-forum, and it's awesome. Check out these stickied posts for some good overall radio Knowledge!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's because the legal aspects of operating a radio in this country are not common knowledge. These laws create an inconvenience for some folks, and this leads folks to post suggestions on the internet that involve a direct violation of Federal law with the justification that "No One Will Ever Know". Note that I didn't say the laws made any sense at all - they often don't - but there they are.

That said, you can sort all this out and gain the capability you're looking for.

What are they willing to do to make this happen (Buy gear, pay for a license, study for/take a test, practice use, etc.)?
Over what terrain?

Two-Way Radio
FCC
CB
FRS
GMRS
MURS
Amateur Radio

Also, as others have mentioned, we have our own Ham Radio sub-forum, and it's awesome. Check out these stickied posts for some good overall radio Knowledge!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over what terrain?

Two-Way Radio
FCC
CB
FRS
GMRS
MURS
Amateur Radio

The post above will sort your issues out.

If you have any questions about what you've read ask them in the Ham forum.  That way you'll get answers from people who KNOW, not people who are guessing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone know if the Baofeng-UV5R is water resistant?  I can't find anything stating it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, absolutely not. They're $40 radios and you will get $40 of performance out of them. The will operate in the ham bands for which you will need a license. They can operate on FRS frequencies for which you will not need a license, but IIRC that's not technically legal to do.

I have a TCI Liberator II connected to a Motorola Astro Saber III.

If you're serious about having a bulletproof setup, you'll have to spend a lot more than $40 per person. If you want to play paintball, by all means get some walkie talkies from the toy store.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the Baofeng-UV5R is water resistant?  I can't find anything stating it.
View Quote

Not even close.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even close.

Thank you.  A ziplock bag will work till I find a better one to replace the Baofeng.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm no expert, but I don't believe the Baofang radio is "allowed" to be used on GMRS/FRS or other freqs outside of the ham bands.

http://wb7tjd.org/wiki/FRS,_GMRS_and_MURS_%28Radio_Services_under_FCC_Part_95_Rules%29

Am I misinformed?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I misinformed?

I guess not, the type cert rule knocks it out. The radio can be programmed to narrow band, proper channel spacing, and the wattage requirements for GMRS but can't make the .5 watt for FMRS. It is type accepted for business and ham use. It can't be type accepted for GMRS because it's capable of operating out the approved freqs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#42]
OP. I have been very happy with
my UV-5R radio's. For a sub $40
radio, they have been flawless
for me, and I intend to buy at
least 2 more.

And for the record, I am a pilot
& have some higher end aviation
HT's, and I have been just as
happy with the construction,
size, operation & clarity of my 5R's.

I do have a technical ham ticket,
which is a must for learning how
to operate the ham side of these
of these radio's. Get the 2 meter/
440 version.

Later!

John

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No, absolutely not. They're $40 radios and you will get $40 of performance out of them. The will operate in the ham bands for which you will need a license. They can operate on FRS frequencies for which you will not need a license, but IIRC that's not technically legal to do.

http://i.imgur.com/S3bUE.jpg

If you're serious about having a bulletproof setup, you'll have to spend a lot more than $40 per person. If you want to play paintball, by all means get some walkie talkies from the toy store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebay?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ebay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebay?

What?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I like the Yaesu FT60R (about $150). It is dual band, 2 Meter/70CM and can receive many out of band freqs. Amateur technician license required. We use them for emergency comms and when hog hunting.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Badfish, the system that you linked....Would that be a decent starter setup?  What kind of range would I get from that?

Thank all of you guys for taking the time to add to this.  I really appreciate it, in spite of you bastards costing me money.
View Quote
I think so, but remember it is still a 40 buck Chinese radio...

If you want a bullet proof radio then you will be spending around the 200 buck range.

If i was in your shoes i would buy just the 40 dollar radio and get my ham ticket or gmrs permit. No need to sink a lot of money into it until you learn some more, then when you buy a quality radio you will have the chinese ones for hand outs.

Biggest thing is you need to get your family or friends one the same page as you, whats the point in having com gear if you have know one to talk too...
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebay?

What?

I meant did you get the radio off ebay
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebay?

What?

Nope, although you can find a lot of them on ebay. Got mine at a hamfest.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Try 3 Old Crows or Wouxun.us.

Later!

John

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#50]
I use Yaesu VX-170 and VX-177 radios. Water tight, good and stout metal construction, plenty of battery adapters (AA cells) and power cables still available, and programmable.
Bought them used for less than $100 each on qth.com.
I wrote an article here in this forum for a Peltor headset adapter circuit that should work with any radio with an electret microphone, which is to say, nearly all consumer radios..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top