Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 8:03:31 PM EDT
Recently, I decided to look into getting some level 4 armor. At the advice of some members here, I decided to try Highcom Security.

I ordered a single plate, which shipped promptly. When I opened the box, I thought maybe the packaging was a little "questionable".
It had these two cardboard brackets in the box meant to secure the plate so it could not rattle or get bumped or jarred on the edge if the box were dropped (which could potentially form a hairline crack in the ceramic).

When I got my plate, these cardboard braces were just lose in the box, rather than around the edges of the plate to secure it.

I looked at it and thought "hmmm, seems like the plate could have possibly experienced an edge impact if the box were dropped just right" but I shrugged it off and didn't worry about it too much.

A couple of days later I see an email from Highcom offering for 25% off my next purchase if I will just review my first time purchase.

I got on their site and reviewed the product and packaging.

I said "the product seems great, but the packaging is somewhat lacking. If the box were dropped at just the right angle, and the plate had become impacted on the edge, the packaging might not have protected it from forming a hairline crack in this case, and there is no way for me to know if this has happened because the plate has a black nylon anti-spall wrapper covering it."
(I'm paraphrasing here)

Anyway, the next day, the COO of Highcom sent me a very professional and apologetic email, AND called my cell phone and left an extremely kind and polite message on my voice mail, and asked if he could please exchange the merchandise at their expense (including expedited shipping) so that there would be absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind that this lifesaving device was 100% free from blemishes or damage. He explained that he would be making a trip in person to their packaging / shipping dept. to fix the problem, and that they would also be x-raying the returned plate to look for damage, as well as shooting the plate to check for failure, and that I was welcome to hear the results of their testing if I wanted.

I could have contacted them and found out, just for the sake of curiosity, but we both agreed on the phone that there was most likely nothing wrong with the plate that I would be returning.

Are you getting that? Both of us were agreeing that there was probably nothing wrong, and yet, they insisted that I return the plate for a free exchange, and ballistic testing.

THIS is the definition of going above and beyond.

And to think; this all started because they wanted to offer me a discount just for sharing my experience with their marketing dept.
They solicited me for feedback; I didn't have to go complaining to them.
When they detected the slightest hint of dissatisfaction, they passed the message up the food chain, and the COO took hands-on action the following day to not only fix my "problem" but also make sure that it would not happen again.

Thanks again, Highcom. You've gained a customer for life.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow!

I think I know where I'll be buying my plates from.

Soooo how was the second plate packaged?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It came in a Pelican Case.

not really
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you get to keep the Pelican case? Lol.

Sounds like great CS.  I have an order with them that I'm about to place.  Glad I found out about them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Two Guardian 4SAS-7 - 10" x 12" Multi Curve Shooters Cut plates ordered earlier today after reading positive stuff here.

Looking forward to them.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]
If I buy more plates I know exactly who I will be buying them from.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting, im looking at their level3 plates and you've pushed me over the edge on who to go with
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for that OP. I placed and order as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, I will keep them in mind. The guys at Beez can learn a lesson or two from this interaction.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought their packaging was a little weak too when my lvl 4 plates showed up.

But the box was in perfect condition so I didn't worry about it.

How fragile can a plate be anyway??
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you sure they didn't give you the plate for free if you posted this here?  

Just kidding.  Sounds like you had a great experience - if/when I need anything else armor-wise I'll go to them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

My experience was closer to this. Mine arrived chipped on the corner, just thrown into a box with no padding except a layer or two of thin cardboard. I called and was told "we don't usually have any problems".

Also, the plates were listed as 10x12 but actually turned out to be 9.5x11.5". I'm guessing that was done to save weight but if so, I'm not sure why it wouldn't actually be advertised as a 9.5x11.5. If I am buying a 10x12, I would like it to be a real 10x12.

FYI, I did get replacements and this was a few months ago, so maybe things have changed.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My experience was closer to this. Mine arrived chipped on the corner, just thrown into a box with no padding except a layer or two of thin cardboard. I called and was told "we don't usually have any problems".

Also, the plates were listed as 10x12 but actually turned out to be 9.5x11.5". I'm guessing that was done to save weight but if so, I'm not sure why it wouldn't actually be advertised as a 9.5x11.5. If I am buying a 10x12, I would like it to be a real 10x12.

FYI, I did get replacements and this was a few months ago, so maybe things have changed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nominal, not actual, and I'm pretty certain that's outlined in the description so it shouldn't have been a surprise. Most armor plates do the same.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Recently, I decided to look into getting some level 4 armor. At the advice of some members here, I decided to try Highcom Security.

I ordered a single plate, which shipped promptly. When I opened the box, I thought maybe the packaging was a little "questionable".
It had these two cardboard brackets in the box meant to secure the plate so it could not rattle or get bumped or jarred on the edge if the box were dropped (which could potentially form a hairline crack in the ceramic).

When I got my plate, these cardboard braces were just lose in the box, rather than around the edges of the plate to secure it.

I looked at it and thought "hmmm, seems like the plate could have possibly experienced an edge impact if the box were dropped just right" but I shrugged it off and didn't worry about it too much.

A couple of days later I see an email from Highcom offering for 25% off my next purchase if I will just review my first time purchase.

I got on their site and reviewed the product and packaging.

I said "the product seems great, but the packaging is somewhat lacking. If the box were dropped at just the right angle, and the plate had become impacted on the edge, the packaging might not have protected it from forming a hairline crack in this case, and there is no way for me to know if this has happened because the plate has a black nylon anti-spall wrapper covering it."
(I'm paraphrasing here)

Anyway, the next day, the COO of Highcom sent me a very professional and apologetic email, AND called my cell phone and left an extremely kind and polite message on my voice mail, and asked if he could please exchange the merchandise at their expense (including expedited shipping) so that there would be absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind that this lifesaving device was 100% free from blemishes or damage. He explained that he would be making a trip in person to their packaging / shipping dept. to fix the problem, and that they would also be x-raying the returned plate to look for damage, as well as shooting the plate to check for failure, and that I was welcome to hear the results of their testing if I wanted.

I could have contacted them and found out, just for the sake of curiosity, but we both agreed on the phone that there was most likely nothing wrong with the plate that I would be returning.

Are you getting that? Both of us were agreeing that there was probably nothing wrong, and yet, they insisted that I return the plate for a free exchange, and ballistic testing.

THIS is the definition of going above and beyond.

And to think; this all started because they wanted to offer me a discount just for sharing my experience with their marketing dept.
They solicited me for feedback; I didn't have to go complaining to them.
When they detected the slightest hint of dissatisfaction, they passed the message up the food chain, and the COO took hands-on action the following day to not only fix my "problem" but also make sure that it would not happen again.

Thanks again, Highcom. You've gained a customer for life.
View Quote

That's just marketing 101.Sadly many "tactical gear"companies don't give a shit about customer service or hiring a dedicated marketer to do anything but post on facebook.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nominal, not actual, and I'm pretty certain that's outlined in the description so it shouldn't have been a surprise. Most armor plates do the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The part in bold is flat out false. They are the only company I have ever seen that does it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's just marketing 101.Sadly many "tactical gear"companies give a shit about customer service or hiring a dedicated marketer to do anything but post on facebook.
View Quote

Right?! I studied this stuff in school, so for me, its kinda a no-brainer, but I guess some of that cantankerous attitude spills over to some of the online gear retailers from the LGS culture
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The part in bold is flat out false. They are the only company I have ever seen that does it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok I'll admit I didn't buy one of every plate out and measure myself, but logically you're going to lose a bit when it's curved. Their site, even though it later gives more detailed dimensions, lists their plates as 10x12 multiple times. High Com does the same.

ETA - None of this speaks to why either, can't imagine ceramic is molded, then curved like I would expect metal to be but I'm no expert either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow!

I think I know where I'll be buying my plates from.

Soooo how was the second plate packaged?
View Quote

Great CS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag for reference.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#19]

ETA - None of this speaks to why either, can't imagine ceramic is molded, then curved like I would expect metal to be but I'm no expert either.

Well it's like looking at a curve, the distance point to point is 9.5" but the measurement including the curve is the 10" to account for the arc of the plate. Is this correct? I have no clue, I'm not in this business of making armor and measuring it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well it's like looking at a curve, the distance point to point is 9.5" but the measurement including the curve is the 10" to account for the arc of the plate. Is this correct? I have no clue, I'm not in this business of making armor and measuring it.
View Quote

That's my understanding.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ok I'll admit I didn't buy one of every plate out and measure myself, but logically you're going to lose a bit when it's curved. Their site, even though it later gives more detailed dimensions, lists their plates as 10x12 multiple times. High Com does the same.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say this only to provide information on the subject. (I'm not trying to be snarky, although I sometimes come across that way. I'm getting better. )

Ballistic Ceramic is not technically molded. It is pressed into curvature while it's a chalky paste, then cut to size/shape, then fired in a really hot oven. The ceramic is the exact shape and size that the manufacturer wants it to be. [eta] Width is supposed to be measured point-to-point both horizontally and vertically. Therefore, saying it is 10x12 and later in the fine print, saying it's really 9.5x11.5, is a curious way to approach things. I don't really think it's completely being up front but I know that the plates are solid and perform.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Ordered 2 lvl 4 10x12 plates from them last Sunday.

Got an email asking for required info on Monday.

The plates arrived on Thursday.

Plates were in a cardboard box, separated by cardboard, and each one was in a padded envelope.

I was surprised how quickly I received them.

I'm happy with the plates. (A bit heavy, but at $253 for both, delivered - I have zero complaints.)

Very impressed with HighCom.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Does Highcom send out shipping notifications?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The plates arrived on Thursday.
Plates were in a cardboard box, separated by cardboard, and each one was in a padded envelope.
View Quote

That's how my replacement plate came. I was very curious if they had indeed started doing this as matter regular policy, or if they had just done it on mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top