Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2014 7:58:02 PM EDT
Does anyone know anything about weapon/helmet mounted cameras?  

I've used others' Contours before, but I understand that they've been discontinued - the GoPro seems to be the other well regarded alternative, however, I'm not sure the profile/shape and mounting solutions for the GoPro don't seem well suited for weapon mounting, and I would prefer a helmet mounting solution that does not mount to the NVG shroud.  

Are there any other good options for weapon and helmet [side] mounting besides those two?

Is it worthwhile to try to buy a most likely used Contour that will not have much, if any manufacturer support, or not worth the risk?  

Would also be interested in hearing about how difficult/not difficult it is to transfer the video on to a computer and whether any special cords, ports, or programs are required - easiest for me would be a simple USB connection and a "drag and drop" capability.  

Thanks,
~Augee
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with the contour, but I've had a GoPro for several years now with no issue.

Strikemark offers some great picatinny mounts for the GoPro. I have the NVG helmet mount and love it, but if that's not for you, you could use one of the picatinny mounts to interface with a helmet rail.

You can check out my YouTube channel if you like to see some videos from my GoPro in various mounts HERE.

As far as computer interface, it is connected via a USB cord with simple "drag and drop" to get the videos from the camera to the computer.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually contour is back in business

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/04/contour-returns-to-the-action-camera-market/

I'm thinking about getting a contour and mounting it in the ear cup of my ACH to record static line jumps. Looks like there might be just enough room if I duct tape it in there.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used a contour many times before, actually planning on using it tomorrow for heavy weapons firing. I usually use mine mounted on ARC rails, but I'm being forced to make do with a sticky mount because my new unit won't let me use the rails In any case, the video and audio quality are both good and the camera is light weight enough to not really get noticed, but it does stick out a bit to the side, so you need to be cognizant about that. Other than that, I have no complaints about the contour and consider it well worth the money I spent to get it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually contour is back in business

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/04/contour-returns-to-the-action-camera-market/

I'm thinking about getting a contour and mounting it in the ear cup of my ACH to record static line jumps. Looks like there might be just enough room if I duct tape it in there.

View Quote

Yep.  I just received a newsletter from them last night as a matter of fact.

ROGTactical had Contours and accessories on clearance a couple of months ago; the cameras were about ½ of original price.

I'm in the same boat Augee:  the Contour's form factor is much better than the GoPros, but the GP is a technologically superior device.

The two alternatives that we have been toying with is the Sony and the Garmin.  One of our guys has been using a third brand but I can't recall the name; I will have to e-mail him for sure but I think his is a Tachyon.

As for mounting, cheesy but it works:  Velcro.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used both, both are the best in a now crowded action cam market.

I like GoPro's for the mount options, granted you can do a lot with sticky backed Velcro too. Other accessories too, GoPro really owns the market so everyone makes stuff that fits it.

I like Contour's for the slim profile, mounted on a helmet or rail they seem nice and small where the GoPro looks like a box hanging off.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've used both, both are the best in a now crowded action cam market.

I like GoPro's for the mount options, granted you can do a lot with sticky backed Velcro too. Other accessories too, GoPro really owns the market so everyone makes stuff that fits it.

I like Contour's for the slim profile, mounted on a helmet or rail they seem nice and small where the GoPro looks like a box hanging off.
View Quote

Yea I went with gopro myself as thats what everyone else seems to have. On a motorcycle ride and forgot to charge your batter? Chances are someone else has a spare you can borrow. On a trip and you forgot a mount or manage to mess one up? Multiple local stores sell the accessories and cameras.

It is worth brining up that gopro is expected to announce its next camera in october. Might want to wait if you are not in a rush and see what the next one does.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Good to hear that Contour is back in business, and that may end up solving my problem, though I may not pick one up until GoPro's new offering comes out so I may change my mind...

Knowing that Contour is back in business, and therefore the purchase of a Contour wouldn't leave you hanging in terms of manufacturer support, I don't think the GoPro in its current form will be for me.  

For the most part, I would probably be using the camera more as a training tool than anything else, to do AARs off of, etc. and that big box design, whether weapon or helmet mounted just doesn't seem like it's going to work for me.  

Fortunately, I've got no fear of Velcro.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#8]
If you guys watched Inside Combat Rescue, they used Contours for their helmet cams. The footage looked great!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Have the Contour, very happy so far but my use has been somewhat limited. Worn on a couple of occasions using ARC rails on my ACH. Small profile main reason I went with it. Go Pro looks huge sticking out their off the NV mount.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't tried it yet on my AR yet, but I use a Fire Cam Mini HD at work. If it can handle the recoil of a rifle, I think it would be perfect.

Eta: I should mention that I also have a ContourHD that never worked correctly for me (firmware issues/camera turned off from the slightest bump in the road on a finely tuned motorcycle), and also currently have a Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition, which I love.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a Contour Roam, and I've used it mounted to my HL muffs and to the rail on a few guns for some matches.

The new Roam 2 would be my choice.  I'm not a fan of the brick-y GoPro case and mount setups.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Contour 2 mounted on my helmet's ARC rail using the adapter that TNVC sells. Works great.

If you're worried about damaging the lens at all from whatever (debris, brass, etc.) I suggest one of these: http://stuntcams.com/shop/contour-lens-filter-protector-p-701.html?osCsid=620c16bb5d574d5c8eb035742dd55d00 I have one with the polarized lens for use with airsoft, and the picture comes out nice and clear. The body itself is pretty damn rugged, just the lens to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Contour and Garmin Virb here; realy like the Virb (elite).

It's got an adapter that will fit any Gopro mount, and I like the form factor better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag for reference.

I've been wanting a helmet cam for a while for skiing and shooting. Everyone I know uses a Go-Pro, but the Contour's form factor seems to be much better. The mounting isn't as versatile, but for semi-permanent use on helmets it looks great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Haven't seen the replay XD mentioned. It doesn't have the fisheye lens that all the other cameras seem to love. Plus it's really low profile.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Love my GoPro
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a Contour 2 mounted on my helmet's ARC rail using the adapter that TNVC sells. Works great.

If you're worried about damaging the lens at all from whatever (debris, brass, etc.) I suggest one of these: http://stuntcams.com/shop/contour-lens-filter-protector-p-701.html?osCsid=620c16bb5d574d5c8eb035742dd55d00 I have one with the polarized lens for use with airsoft, and the picture comes out nice and clear. The body itself is pretty damn rugged, just the lens to worry about.
View Quote

Has anyone successfully used a Contour ARC adapter along with Peltor ARC adapters?  

Just looking, I'm doubting that the Peltor adapters leave much room for much other than one of the flex-neck helmet lights.  

Luckily, Velcro is still an easy option.  

Does anyone have photos of their mounted action cameras?  Maybe we can turn this into an "Action Camera Pic Thread" rather than everyone just talking about 'em.

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I really liked the Contour.  Almost went with one.  I hesitated because I really like the chest mount option for my motorcycle trips, and wasn't sure how the Countour works for that.

Anyway, I have an ancient 1st Gen Go Pro, and a bunch of mounts, including one for my AR.  I finally gave in, decided to keep all my existing mounts and got a Hero 3 White just the other day. I really love the smart phone app interface!  Much better than dicking around on that tiny LCD with gloves on, ya know?

And yeah...Both GoPro and probably Contour will be coming out with new models this fall.  Of course!  But honestly, the 3 White is already more than enough for my purposes, and it's not even top of the line spec wise.  

Anyway, getting off track here.  If you don't already have GoPro stuff and/or care about the ability to get more parts and stuff for GoPro, I would probably wait a bit longer and see if Contour is going to put out a new model.  I did like the lower-profile size and appearance of it, and yeah, having a GoPro hanging off a rifle is cumbersome in some cases.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's mine.  That's my ancient GoPro there, in the Strikemark mount.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top