Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 8:01:55 AM EDT
I'm searching for pants for the occasional shooting/camping/off-roading weekend.  I've tried jeans, not enough pockets and they stay wet forever.  I have light nylon hiking pants (columbia, etc) but they're too light to carry CCW with and you don't want to roll on the ground or shoot prone with them.  I have Duluth firehose pants- nice and heavy duty, but too stiff for hiking in the mountains.  Without looking like a wannabe SWAT dude, what are some good options?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Steer clear of Kuhl Clothing.
Wish I had a positive recommendation for you, but I'm in the same boat as you right now, and at least I just saved you ~$80.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Wrangler rip stop cargo pants. $20 at Walmart.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh no, not Walmart.  I hate going there.  I'll have to check them out though.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#4]
These have been good for me for daily
wear, hiking, & matches, etc.

John

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Really?

What the hell is up with arfcoms AVERSION to surplus BDU in camo?

Seriously!

I recently bought 2 pair multicam on ebay for approx. $15 ea.

Lighter than jeans...fast dry...pockets...drawstring at ankle for ticks...non-flammable(campfire say).. possibly some permethrin left.

Do I wear them at weddings? NO. Do I wear them with other camo? No. Any earth tone T-shirt will work.

If you want to spend $120 then get railriders adventure pants.

ETA: <<<<<<<<<<wannabe GI Joe or PRACTICAL Private F*cking Civilian?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Really?

View Quote

I'm active duty.  I'm not going to wear part of another service's UNIFORM while I'm out playing in the woods.  I have Navy BDU's- nope, blue digi-flage looks dumb in the woods.  I have the Marine combat uniform, works great, but I'm not going to wear the Eagle Globe and Anchor mixed with civies while camping either.  It's disrepectful.

I'm open to other suggestions too.... bring 'em on!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm active duty.  I'm not going to wear part of another service's UNIFORM while I'm out playing in the woods.  I have Navy BDU's- nope, blue digi-flage looks dumb in the woods.  I have the Marine combat uniform, works great, but I'm not going to wear the Eagle Globe and Anchor mixed with civies while camping either.  It's disrepectful.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

Can you still buy the plain Khaki BDU pants they used to sell back in the '90s?  I had a gray and khaki pair, come to thing of it.

These days, I have more cash, and wear Vertx Phantoms for such purposes.  That may be just what the OP is looking for, whether he knows it or not.  The new Vertx featherlights look promising as well, I intend to try a pair soon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

I have an older pair of marine digital....mine don't have an eagle or anchor on them. It is not disrespectful. It is pants. Cheap ones. Perfectly engineered for camping.

ETA: Maybe I wouldn't mix them with a jarhead haircut. Not sure.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wish I had a positive recommendation for you, but I'm in the same boat as you right now, and at least I just saved you ~$80.
View Quote

Why are you anti-kuhl? Just the price? I have several pairs of their Rydrs and love them, they don't shrink and are super comfortable and hold up well, I don't wear them hiking or camping because they are cotton but they are my everyday pants.

To the OP- 5.11 has several offerings now that are not so tactical looking but I  wear taclite pros hunting, camping and training and they work great, light weight with plenty of pockets and dry fast
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a pretty huge fan of overalls.  Mostly because, due to genetics, I have no ass to hang pants off, and cinching a belt down to keep my drawers up aggrivates my sciatica.

Wearing Duluth firehose overalls right now.  They had the same stiffness issue as the pants initially, but these have been broken in now and would be my top choice for hiking, especially through any brush.  Good front pockets, great cargo pockets.  The regular pockets are too shallow for me, but I tend to favor the cargo or front pockets anyway.

Various brands of traditional denim overalls.  They're cooler and more comfortable than the firehose overalls, but not nearly as durable.

I haven't tried Carhaarts yet, but I plan on it soon.  I'm looking for a good compromise between firehose durability and denim comfort, and Carhaarts might fit the bill.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#11]
prAna makes some good stuff. I like these for outdoor versatility. Bit pricey though:

Link
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a fan of 5.11 Taclite Pros. Lots of colors and decently priced.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought some Oakley Cargo Pants; they are the best fitting most comfortable pants i have ever owned.....

Vintage cargo pant

or

Available here
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm still a fan of these.  In fact, they're pretty much all I wear.  The bloused boot hem is great.

http://tacticalgear.com/propper-tac-u-pants-olive

• 65% Polyester / 35% Cotton Ripstop

• Authentic ACU redesigned for law enforcement

• Zipper fly

• Sturdy double-snap closure

• Gripper waistband

• Numeric waist sizes for a tailored fit

• 8-pocket tactical trouser design

• ACU-style pockets with Velcro closure

• External kneepad openings with Velcro

• Forward-tilted cargo pockets for easy access

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#15]

nvm
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck yeah, I wear the pant or the cargo shorts most of the time. Cheap and hold up far better than $20 pants should!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#17]
plain old BDU pants....

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5384&tabid=548&catid=2238

I steer clear from my cammies unless I'm out in the middle of nowhere and not going to run into anyone...

those or LA Police gear's tac pants

http://www.lapolicegear.com/basic-operator-pant.html
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why are you anti-kuhl? Just the price? I have several pairs of their Rydrs and love them, they don't shrink and are super comfortable and hold up well, I don't wear them hiking or camping because they are cotton but they are my everyday pants.

To the OP- 5.11 has several offerings now that are not so tactical looking but I  wear taclite pros hunting, camping and training and they work great, light weight with plenty of pockets and dry fast
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's the first person I've ever heard of say Kuhl wasn't good.  I wear them just about every day, everyone I work with wears them.

They offer a .mil/.gov discount also, but they just reduced it.  Best bang for the buck for the OP.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#19]
kuhl
vertx
arc'teryx if you have $$$
multicam/usmc
tru-spec
I.ve had good luck with a pair of zip off north face pants too
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Duluth Trading

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/dry-on-the-fly/71700.aspx

Dry-on-the-fly FLEX.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two pairs of black and two pairs of tan/coyote BDUs from the army navy store. They aren't surplus they were tagged new made in the USA. Paid $15-20 each and I have beat the shit out of them and they are going great. I've broken a button or two here and there but I run them camping, hiking, and have climbed a few mountains with them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a few pair of proper BDU style with mag holder pockets inside the pockets. 3M water repellent treated, knife reenforcement points for clip on knives,etc. They are good and look nice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I've done a lot of backpacking, hiking and all around screwing around in the woods and I have to say my favorite so far are my 5.11 shorts and cargo pants.  They are tough, but not stiff and do a decent job of repelling water and drying out when you get swamped in the rain.  They are steep at $50, but recommend them to everyone.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear the LAPG Operator pants.  At $20, they area great deal. They hold up well, tons of colors, and functional pockets.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#25]

I'm in a similar boat.  

My issue is with all the pants I find is that the manufacturer's think my waist is at my armpits.  

Basically I need pants cut like Levi 527's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#26]
LAPG, around $20, good fit.

Save the rest of your money for more guns, ammo and maybe hookers if you have a little extra left over.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm in a similar boat.  

My issue is with all the pants I find is that the manufacturer's think my waist is at my armpits.  

Basically I need pants cut like Levi 527's.
View Quote

Vertx are cut slimmer than most "tactical" pants seem to be, but nothing like 527s.  I also find the waistline far more ideal than 5.11s and Truspecs.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I wear tru-spec 24-7 cargo pants at work and like them. They are lightweight and tough.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine did not hold up well at all. I wasn't even using them the way they are intended (mountaineering, etc) I was just wearing them out and about the town. I've never had a pair of pants go to hell on me so fast, and they weren't even that comfortable.

I'm glad yous have worked out for you, but my own experience was so bad that I will never try again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tried some, and I liked them okay for being out in the woods and tucked into boots, but I really wish I could find something less baggy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I love Vertx's pants. I have some of the originals (heavier) and then a pair of their LT (lightweight) version. Big fan of both.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:50:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pockets are shallow as shit.   How much money do they really save by not giving you pockets deep enough to hold anything in?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Wrangler RIGGS Ranger ripstop pants have served me well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I wear the LAPG Operator pants.  At $20, they area great deal. They hold up well, tons of colors, and functional pockets.
View Quote

Thanks for that.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:43:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love Vertx's pants. I have some of the originals (heavier) and then a pair of their LT (lightweight) version. Big fan of both.
View Quote

I thought I was shouting into a hurricane here for a while.  It was Arf that introduced me to those, and addicted me.  But suddenly I found myself the only person who seemed to be preaching their virtues.

I actually ordered a set of the lightweights last night. I've previously only worn the Phantoms.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#36]
LAPG operator looks like it's worth a try, espeically for $20.  Since I'm on going to wear them occasionally, I think they get the job done.  Anyone know how they fit?  I wear a 36x30 jeans, but true waist is 38.  How does their inseam comapare with jeans.  I'm between a 30" and 32" being 5' 10" with short legs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#37]
LAPG pants. Great deal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#39]
LAPG usually has some "Tactical" pants on sale in some non-service color, navy won't look like a swat wanna-be anymore, they all where Khaki, Coyote, or camo these days.
I have their house brand BDU pants, like them just fine, based on the standard 6 pocket mil BDU pattern, IIRC they were around $25.
I have no aversion to camo when I'm in the woods or working around the yard, good ol woodland and desert BDU pants can be found pretty cheap, every service wore them so they aren't service specific if that is an actual concern, some genuine ODs would be fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Yup, my Kuhl stuff has been rock solid and comfortable?

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I just bought 2 Arc'teryx dress shirts and a black polo.  Excellent quality, cut and comfort.  I have NOT been impressed by the cardigan and light jacket I bought.  Absolutely no better than any of the other top notch makers that are significantly less expensive.

Quoted:
kuhl
vertx
multicam/usmc
tru-spec
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

Ok, Mr. Active Duty (Branch Withheld), you realize both BDUs and DCUs are uniforms of all services and are no longer issued or authorized for uniform wear by any of the services? I find old BDU and DCU pants to be the absolute best hiking pants ever. When it comes to camping/hiking there's little more generic than old BDU/DCU pants.

You can also find those same style/pattern of pants new in solid colors.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wrangler RIGGS Ranger ripstop pants have served me well.
View Quote

I've worn those for years for working and I found them to be a great work/generic tactical pant. However, I've hiked in them a couple times and found them crazy heavy for that purpose.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I thought I was shouting into a hurricane here for a while.  It was Arf that introduced me to those, and addicted me.  But suddenly I found myself the only person who seemed to be preaching their virtues.

I actually ordered a set of the lightweights last night. I've previously only worn the Phantoms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are all I wear at the range/classes, probably the most comfortable pants I own.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I just bought 2 Arc'teryx dress shirts and a black polo.  Excellent quality, cut and comfort.  I have NOT been impressed by the cardigan and light jacket I bought.  Absolutely no better than any of the other top notch makers that are significantly less expensive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

kuhl

vertx

multicam/usmc

tru-spec

Which cardigan and light jacket did you buy?

Every single piece of Arc gear I have is my absolute favorite piece of that type. Their fit, finish, and quality is unmatched.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I picked up a few pairs of Carhartts I've been happy with, I think they were around $40 at C-A-L Ranch
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They are all I wear at the range/classes, probably the most comfortable pants I own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pants I own I find to be kind of baggy compared to Kuhl.  But the quality is much better than 5.11 from what I've seen, a friend had a pocket folded and sewn into the seam of the pants from the factory...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I will be honest and say these threads need more freaking images.

In this day and age its not hard....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I put the hurt on pants at work, and as funny as it sounds the Old Navy cargos hold up very well.  They are available in several different "fits" for us oddly shaped people, and have outdoorsy-friendly colors.  Even with my going to chemical manufacturing facilities and getting beat down by bad weather constantly, they will last a 2-3 years or more per pair.  I've had good service out of Wranglers as well, but they were from JC Penny so they may have been different.  I have a pair of Carharts that are awesome, but weigh a little too much for hiking.  Most of my pants have been destroyed by getting hung on something at work and being ripped.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Eddie Bauer convertible hiking pants. Light, lots of pockets, turns into shorts. 50 bucks-ish, cheaper if you get them on sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top