Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 7:43:41 PM EDT
Have my battle belt almost set and working on my plate carrier and I was wondering what kind of combat or survival knife everyone was using and what sheath and attachment methods as well. I know a good knife is not cheap but I was hoping to be in the $50 range. Right now I have my Leatherman on my belt but I am looking for something that can be used as a weapon. Another thought that crossed my mind was to put a combat knife on the belt and more of a survival hatchet or knife on my PC, any thoughts? Thanks for all the info and opinions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a KaBar Becker Bk16 on the belt . It's a great sized knife for general purpose, I wanna say it's got a 4.5 inch ish blade. It'll run you about $70 ish.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Blackjack AWACs with the rear guard removed and bead blasted in a black (kryloned) Eagle Industries sheath.

ETA- why the fuck do you care what other people are using?

Find something that meets your skill/expectation ratio and roll with it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
ESEE-5 or a ZT121 depending.

The ESEE is huge; their -3 is another good option.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
SEAL Pup and a Gerber LMF ASEK on another.   Coleman Western Trapper 954 Twin blade 3.5" drop point and 3.5" serrated blade on 1st Line, EDC
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:02:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Swamprat Ratmandu --  Skystorm Leather dual carry sheath
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Esee 3.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Just looking to get some other peoples' opinions. I don't consider any opinions gospel, I was interested in hearing what other people like and why. Ultimately I will make the decision myself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
RC 4
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Nothing fancy, just a simple Mora.  Great utilitarian knife.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Fallkniven F1
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just looking to get some other peoples' opinions. I don't consider any opinions gospel, I was interested in hearing what other people like and why. Ultimately I will make the decision myself.
View Quote

To elaborate on the Esee 3. For around $100 its a quality piece and a great warranty. If you break it anyway they will fix it, no questions asked. The 3 might be too small for some, but for a battle belt/PC set up I think it's a pretty good size. I've chopped a few things with it the short time over had it and it's super sharp right out the box and has kept its edge so far. Comes with a nice plastic sheath with several carry/mountinig options. There's also different scale available.

There're plenty of options, but Esees have a great reputation!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

To elaborate on the Esee 3. For around $100 its a quality piece and a great warranty. If you break it anyway they will fix it, no questions asked. The 3 might be too small for some, but for a battle belt/PC set up I think it's a pretty good size. I've chopped a few things with it the short time over had it and it's super sharp right out the box and has kept its edge so far. Comes with a nice plastic sheath with several carry/mountinig options. There's also different scale available.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carried an esee4 on the side of my FLC through the army. I would carry an esse3 if I needed to do it again, but I always ended up using a multitool 97% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I like my Benchmade SOCP.  Can't dig a hole or chop down a tree with it, but that's not what it's intended for.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 2 Glock field knives and love them. Surprisingly nice for the price. Being more of a fighting than utility style, I have one mounted inverted on my carrier... the other will be the same. Battle belt gets something more utilitarian like an ESEE.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ak47.net/media/viewFile.html?i=20905

Your setup is nearly identical to mine. Esee 3 for the win.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#19]
http://www.gerbergear.com/Military/Knives/Applegate-Combat-Folder_05780
I've carried one of these since 2006. I clip it into my pocket. It'll be there if I need it and some ha...guy can't grab it off my kit.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I ended up winning an eBay auction for the 4" Esse at a great price and am excited to get it in the mail. Those with the Esse, do you use bungee and a cord lock to attach it to your belt or carrier or just use the belt clip that comes with it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a benchmade barrage that is always with me. On a belt when I feel the need. I have a benchmade rant. For a heavy duty knife A Kabar. 90% of the time it's just the barrage.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]
SOG pentagon on plate carrier, held on w/ zip ties. I've even dressed deer with this thing, just to see if I could. People get killed or messed up bad with blades smaller than this every day.You don't need a crew-served rambo knife. Anything bigger than a cold steel srk is silly, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top