Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 12:04:49 PM EDT
I have been googling and reading threads all afternoon, and cannot seem to find a definitive answer to my question. Given the rioting that's been going on in MO recently it's spurred the idea that a plate carrier and plates would be a good thing to have on hand should a similar scenario every arise in my area and I needed to stand guard at my home or business.

I'm 5'4" and weigh 130lbs, I have a 29 inch waist, not sure on my chest size but I wear a size small T shirt. From the top of my collar bone to my belly button is about 10 inches, so I'm assuming I should use an 8x10 plate. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that will live most of it's life in my closet unused but I don't want something that's going to fall apart on the first use. I like the Mayflower APC and the shellback banshee. I don't have the ability to try anything on before I buy it, because I don't have a store nearby that stocks anything like this, and my friends/family that have PCs are much larger than me.

So, with ARfcoms infinite knowledge, can someone tell me if either of the two I looked at are good options, or suggest a better option. I'm looking to stay in the sub 250 dollar range for a PC.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother and I are just about your size (a few inches taller, and about ten pounds heavier), and the banshee fits both of us very well.  We don't have very deep frames, so the shoulder straps are the absolute closest point they can be adjusted to, but it's still a good option.  The banshee is made well, looks nice, and for SHTF rig, is priced pretty well.  I've seen them as low at $130 over the past few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brother and I are just about your size (a few inches taller, and about ten pounds heavier), and the banshee fits both of us very well.  We don't have very deep frames, so the shoulder straps are the absolute closest point they can be adjusted to, but it's still a good option.  The banshee is made well, looks nice, and for SHTF rig, is priced pretty well.  I've seen them as low at $130 over the past few weeks.
View Quote

Are you still able to make it fit snugly enough for it to not flop around?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
ur about the size of my wife   Sue got hers from ar500 and it fits just fine   there is a ton of adjustment in the carrier.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have been googling and reading threads all afternoon, and cannot seem to find a definitive answer to my question. Given the rioting that's been going on in MO recently it's spurred the idea that a plate carrier and plates would be a good thing to have on hand should a similar scenario every arise in my area and I needed to stand guard at my home or business.

I'm 5'4" and weigh 130lbs, I have a 29 inch waist, not sure on my chest size but I wear a size small T shirt. From the top of my collar bone to my belly button is about 10 inches, so I'm assuming I should use an 8x10 plate. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that will live most of it's life in my closet unused but I don't want something that's going to fall apart on the first use. I like the Mayflower APC and the shellback banshee. I don't have the ability to try anything on before I buy it, because I don't have a store nearby that stocks anything like this, and my friends/family that have PCs are much larger than me.

So, with ARfcoms infinite knowledge, can someone tell me if either of the two I looked at are good options, or suggest a better option. I'm looking to stay in the sub 250 dollar range for a PC.
View Quote

For $250, get the Shellback Banshee and plates... Done.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya, it sits real well, no excess movement.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Pig Systema Plate Carrier in size small

End/

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
With the Mayflower APC you size the carrier to your plates first, then choose the cummerbund that fits your waist. Use the size chart provided by Mayflower to get your sizes. From your description it sounds like a S/M carrier and small cummerbund.

The Banshee seems more adjustable for plate size and is more of a one size fits all.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ur about the size of my wife   Sue got hers from ar500 and it fits just fine   there is a ton of adjustment in the carrier.
View Quote

Did she get the curved ar500 plates?

Thanks to entering this thread and seeing all the others. Except these pc are in my price range.
Thanks guys I'm not going to have much left when we get tax returns
Looks like either a banshee with ar500 plates or the kit from ar500 with carrier and plates.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:06:57 AM EDT
[#9]
for the money the banshee is a great deal but Im 5.9 and 160 and the straps are set to wide on the shoulders shooting sucks in it and small plates will swim in the thing as its made for 10x12.
I sold one and have a spare for my wife just in case shtf. really look for a pc that fits the plates and your body type. just my 2 cants.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#10]
The biggest problem I'm worried about is being able to cinch it up tight up enough. I bought a cheapo condor chest rig and I have to cinch it up all the way to get it to not flop around on me, and even then it's a tad looser than I'd really care for. That's my biggest worry with dropping 200+ dollars on a plate carrier, is it not being able to fit me properly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in the same boat. 5'4 140lbs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Banshee is one of the best plate carriers for the money.

If you're really on a budget go with AR500 plates but i personally am not a fan of the weight, if you can splurge get some good ceramic plates,  I recommend an ESAPI as they are top of the line protection and can be had for $300-400 a pair new or lightly used. Remember you will need soft armor to back ICW (In Conjuction With) plates. Backers will probably run $200+ so it might be just as cheap to buy stand a lone plates, you will have to do the research to see whats out there. Again if youre on a super tight budget you might be able to get some used police surplus body armor but the dimensions may not match. I did this when i put together my first armor carrier on a tight budget. From my experience spend the money up front, if you buy cheap gear you will just end up having to replace it at some point, so as the saying goes "buy once, cry once" and be done with it.

As far as it sitting in a closet and not getting used i have two comments.

#1 use it, take it to the range and train with it that way if the time comes you will feel comfortable in it.

#2 chances are other than the few range visits it will sit in your closet and never get used, but thats the price of being prepared. Think of it as insurance, most people buy home and auto insurance but never actually need to use it, but on the rare occasion that they do it turns a car accident or a house fire from a devastating incident that could ruin someone financially for the rest of their life into a minor inconvenience. Chances are you will never need that armor but if you do it could mean the difference between life and death and would be the best couple hundred dollars you ever spent.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pig Systema Plate Carrier in size small

End/

View Quote

I've been using one of these lately.  It's a great little package... super customizable.  I have two PCs, this one was purchased as a back up, but now sits in the go to spot bc it's just simple.  

If you go this route order shoulder pads.

My other PC is an Ares Aspis, which is also very nice, but more cumbersome than the Systema.  The Aspis is very similar to the Banshee.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't have one myself (although planning on picking one up soon), but I've read/heard that the AWS Operator's Choice PC is great. American made and the price point is very, very right.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#15]
How does the banshee compare to the operator II?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't have one myself (although planning on picking one up soon), but I've read/heard that the AWS Operator's Choice PC is great. American made and the price point is very, very right.

https://www.awsin.com/proddetail.asp?prod=52813

View Quote

This looks very promising.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#17]
The Banshee would be my recommendation if you need or want a cummerbund.  If you don't, I'd seriously look at the U.S. Palm Defender series, because they're available with both front and read armor for very, very reasonable prices.  They'll accept plates, and they make them in a large number of configurations for different weapons systems.

Anyway, I have a Banshee that I recently gave to my girlfriend.  Without side plates, it fits her well.  There is a lot of adjustability to it.  I'm just shy of 200 pounds, 6'5" and I was pleased with it.  She's about a buck ten, 5'2" and it can be adjusted to fit her very comfortably with and without the level III plates.  I have soft armor backers for it, front, rear, and both sides.

I would recommend spreading out the cost by getting the carrier and soft armor and then plates in the future if cost is a concern.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks identical to the LBT 6094.
Wonder what the Cordura Nylon count is and what the quality is like.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to this review it's 1000D.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pL0uX6gpJ0
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

According to this review it's 1000D.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pL0uX6gpJ0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is indeed promising...
Might pick one up soon.
It is exactly the same as the LBT-6094 minus some minor differences.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Might pick one up soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might pick one up soon.

I stopped in their store when i was out at Bragg.  Was not impressed with the quality of the stitching. They seem to have knocked off everyone- LbT 6094, Crye JPC, HSGI tacos, high ground 148 pouch, mayflower lo pro IFAK ... To name a few
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Is this AWS plate carrier sized by plate size? I might have to pick one of these up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I stopped in their store when i was out at Bragg.  Was not impressed with the quality of the stitching. They seem to have knocked off everyone- LbT 6094, Crye JPC, HSGI tacos, high ground 148 pouch, mayflower lo pro IFAK ... To name a few
View Quote

Guns n gear's review seemed to speak highly of the stitching. Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a fan of the Mayflower carriers, especially the LPAC and LPAAC. Hard and soft armor capable that covers a tad more on you.  Makes it easy to scale your level of protection as needed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Guns n gear's review seemed to speak highly of the stitching. Can you elaborate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Any more feedback on AWS products?
I want to pick one up for one of my local guys here; either AWS or a Shellback Banshee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top