Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2014 5:52:12 PM EDT
Do you have one? What is it's primary use for you? Love it, hate it, indifferent? Also what is on the market other than mystery ranch and camelbak? Thanks for any info
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Great packs. They fillet open and allow you to access all your gear. Both their NICE suspension and Futura harness carry extremely well and can be adapted to armor. Not much in the way of organization, but they are modular with molle webbing on the outside, and inside panel of their packs.

I have an ASAP with the Haley D3 chest rig integrated:

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a mystery ranch.  Originally got it to pull out mortar rounds quickly.  It is nice as a pack though as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Camelbak version here.  Fantastic pack for hiking (I tend to overload on gear.)  The harness is without a doubt the best part.  Even with the hip belt portion removed, it carries as well as many full suspension hiking packs.  It's been my go-to for a couple years now with no signs of that changing any time soon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Dragonslayer that I used as a three-day pack while FOB-hopping in Afghanistan.  I use it as a multi-day travel bag and intend to use it as an overnight camping pack.  It is exceptionally comfortable, even when completely full to the gills.  The zipper configuration makes it easy to access all of your gear.  I'm vaguely curious about getting an ASAP, but it's a ton of money, and I have a couple of nice Blue Force Gear bags (sadly discontinued) that serve a similar role already.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#5]
How do you like the ASAP?  Worth the money over other similar sized packs?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you like the ASAP?  Worth the money over other similar sized packs?
View Quote

Other assault packs in its class lack any sort of suspension and torso adjustment . Even packs bigger in capacity that are categorized as assault packs (2000 cu in+) have simply padded shoulder straps sewn on to the main pack.

What makes the ASAP different is that it's a relatively small pack at 1100 cu in that comes with a suspension that can carry 4x that capacity (with a good distributing waist belt). Fitting the ASAP properly feels like nothing on your back even with a substantial load. I have mine set a little higher than the proper fit to accommodate the D3 rig, but still comfortable.

You're paying for the suspension essentially. With that said, the pack fills very specific roles due to the small capacity. If you are planning on carrying bulky or heavier items than a compressed jacket or a nalgene, consider going a size up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I own mystery Ranch ASAP it is a very small comfortable pack that carries very well, due to the Futura yoke system. It has some internal organization in the form of two sleeve pockets in the main compartment and a pouch in the lid with an internal zippered pocket. It also has PALs webbing all around the outside and a small panel inside the main compartment. It has a waist belt but really doesn't need it and it tucks away nicely. The 3zip access also makes it very easy to get your gear.

Shown here with 32oz nalgene for scale

Open, notice the loaded sleeve pockets

ASAP(1120 c.i. According to mystery ranch) with Snapdragon (2300c.i. According to mystery ranch)

It's a $250 day pack, but it's the most comfy daypack I've ever carried.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#8]
That asap and d3 looks like a pretty slick set up. Do you run it over plates? I'm leaning towards the mystery ranch 3 day assault pack to use hunting and on overnighters
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I own mystery Ranch ASAP it is a very small comfortable pack that carries very well, due to the Futura yoke system. It has some internal organization in the form of two sleeve pockets in the main compartment and a pouch in the lid with an internal zippered pocket. It also has PALs webbing all around the outside and a small panel inside the main compartment. It has a waist belt but really doesn't need it and it tucks away nicely. The 3zip access also makes it very easy to get your gear.

Shown here with 32oz nalgene for scale
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee421/mtnbkr5234/3b767ebe50e69dd00df36dd742e22219_zpsc8dbee32.jpg

Open, notice the loaded sleeve pockets

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee421/mtnbkr5234/fc50a68eec3acb2ae8cadf60a22e0fa2_zps8c2de5d0.jpg

ASAP(1120 c.i. According to mystery ranch) with Snapdragon (2300c.i. According to mystery ranch)
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee421/mtnbkr5234/bdaf952e29bc9f7405ac67d164c2e0da_zps518b44cb.jpg

It's a $250 day pack, but it's the most comfy daypack I've ever carried.
View Quote

Dang it. Now you two have me wanting an ASAP to use as my EDC/GHB....I have been saying I was gonna get away from the SO tech go bag I have now because it's not very comfortable to carry after about 5 miles
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#10]
As I mentioned I used my MR tri zip mostly for putting mortar rounds in.  One of the huge perks for that pack over others was it didn't have to be stock full of soft shit to be 'comfortable'.  Generally I would throw 4-6 60mm rounds in there or up to 10 if I had to and then some little shit.  With the buckles you can easily keep it tight whether you have 4 in there or 10.  It is very comfortable to wear with armor.  I have an eberlsock as well with a rifle scabbard for if I am carrying a tube.  I really like my MR pack still now years later and will keep it around.
pictures from 2010 or so.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Carrying an odd shaped hard load like that is definitely a testament to the packs comfort level. Thanks for your service and the pictures
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes it is.  So nick, big question is: If you had to pay retail, and didn't have a deployment on the chart, would you buy the pack for yourself at either retail or second hand?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Camelbak and it is awesome! The harness is very comfortable with both heavy and light loads. The belt works great with heavy loads and can be removed if needed for light loads. It's my favorite pack. I used to have TAD bags and the Trizip > Fast packs
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great packs. They fillet open and allow you to access all your gear. Both their NICE suspension and Futura harness carry extremely well and can be adapted to armor. Not much in the way of organization, but they are modular with molle webbing on the outside, and inside panel of their packs.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/23609C17-2E2F-40E1-9076-263B96E50179_zpsuvnzpzaj.jpg
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/9B883326-443D-4217-8B49-F76618F32A78_zpsglptty9v.jpg

View Quote

I notice here that you have a little "shock cord keep" holding up your mouth piece and in another thread about combat sustainment packs you have some center pieces that the shock cord is threaded through on a camelback hawg. would you mind sharing where to find those two pieces of hardware?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been using a Camelbak Tri-Zip as my "everything" pack for the last couple of years. It's my carryon (and typically only piece of flying luggage), working bag, ski bag, hiking bag, competition bag, assault pack, drill bag, etc...

It's easy to pack and find stuff in, organizes well, sits properly no matter how much or little is packed inside. It can be adjusted to sit perfectly no matter what kind of load you are carrying (take the time to set it up according to the directions before you go and use it).

I've found the Camelbak Tri-Zip to be incredibly versatile and comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I notice here that you have a little "shock cord keep" holding up your mouth piece and in another thread about combat sustainment packs you have some center pieces that the shock cord is threaded through on a camelback hawg. would you mind sharing where to find those two pieces of hardware?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/23609C17-2E2F-40E1-9076-263B96E50179_zpsuvnzpzaj.jpg
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/9B883326-443D-4217-8B49-F76618F32A78_zpsglptty9v.jpg

Shock Cord
ITW Cord Locks
ITW Tac Toggles
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
thanks for the links half-bear, well be ordering some of that hardware soon.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes it is.  So nick, big question is: If you had to pay retail, and didn't have a deployment on the chart, would you buy the pack for yourself at either retail or second hand?
View Quote

If something were to happen to mine I would probably buy another in coyote tan.  I like the bag a lot.  I still 'ruck' with it when I take my dog down long gravel roads for walks.  It has stood up to lots of weight over its 5 year or so life span with me and hasn't burnt out yet.  

I paid retail for the MC one you see in the pictures.  I also paid retail for the eberlstock phantom I believe it is that one of my guys was carrying in one of the pictures.  I still have that as well and it has a rough spray paint job that gets modded for the season as needed.  I don't like the scabbard concept on the eberlstock bags as much they do not hold up well and the bag is garbage without it on.  I have humped rifles mortar rounds and a ebr type 14 in the bag and it just never does it very well.  I have walked a long way with bolt guns in the bag aside from its army role.

I like Mystery ranch a bunch that said it seems the camel back backs look to be well made as well even though they are a bit of a knock off in my book.  I would continue to buy from MR over the camel gear simply because they innovated that shit as far as I am concerned and there is something to be said about having gear that you had 100 trust in down range.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Considering the price tag, a willingness to buy again is about the highest testimony that someone can give.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like Mystery ranch a bunch that said it seems the camel back backs look to be well made as well even though they are a bit of a knock off in my book.  I would continue to buy from MR over the camel gear simply because they innovated that shit as far as I am concerned and there is something to be said about having gear that you had 100 trust in down range.
View Quote

Mystery Ranch licensed the design to Camelbak. Its hardly a knock off or stolen design.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mystery Ranch licensed the design to Camelbak. Its hardly a knock off or stolen design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry semantics here we are using the same word for different meanings.
dictionary says "a copy that sells for less than the original; broadly :  a copy or imitation of someone or something popular "  I didn't mean it to sound like camelbak simply stole the design or something.  MR was the innovator the original and if I did have to turn around and get another bag I would look at what they are innovating right now and see if it is worth getting.  If I did get something new I would hope it was also of the trizip design.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that it's not a knock of because camelbak is licensed to produce it but for me personally there isn't enough price difference not to buy American.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a camelbak trizip. I didn't like some of the features. The insulated internal water bottle pocket was neat, but using it ate a lot of the space inside the bag. Also keeping a full water bottle in that pocket, with the admin pocket on the other side made for a noticeably unbalanced load. I also did not like the fact they used camelbak buckles instead of ITW buckles, and the waist belt wasn't live wing compatible.

If you get a mystery ranch pack that is live wing compatible, get the upgrade. Totally worth it.

Yes camelbak officially licensed the design, but they don't have multiple yoke and waist belt sizes and I just didn't find the camelbak trizip as useful as my snapdragon (which actually has a lot less features and is much more utilitarian).
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had a camelbak trizip. I didn't like some of the features. The insulated internal water bottle pocket was neat, but using it ate a lot of the space inside the bag. Also keeping a full water bottle in that pocket, with the admin pocket on the other side made for a noticeably unbalanced load. I also did not like the fact they used camelbak buckles instead of ITW buckles, and the waist belt wasn't live wing compatible.

If you get a mystery ranch pack that is live wing compatible, get the upgrade. Totally worth it.

Yes camelbak officially licensed the design, but they don't have multiple yoke and waist belt sizes and I just didn't find the camelbak trizip as useful as my snapdragon (which actually has a lot less features and is much more utilitarian).
View Quote

I am thinking that I am going to get the Mystery Ranch ASAP for a EDC bag and quick day hikes and the Komodo Dragon for something a bit smaller than my eberlestock g4 operator, operator was the first pack I ever bought, it is way too big for the majority of my use and I don't use the scabbard as much as I thought I would. I think the MR komodo dragon is plenty of room and just looks sleeker and the pack itself is nearly half the weight of the operator, no need in carrying fabric im not using for anything.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I have/issued 6 total....nice packs but honestly I never use the center zip that much. They also don't really fit my gear all that well...but I highly doubt you will be carrying the same gear I carry. If I unzip the middle I usually can't re zip it. I have everything in size from slightly large than a tri zip to a full on expedition size pack.  I tend to use an ALICE but that's because of what I have to carry, but for weekend backpacking they are great.

I also have 2 tri zips, one is mine and one is my wife's.  I used mine as my CLS bag up until a few years ago.  That was where the center zip shined IMHO. I even had mama-San sew me up a custom insert for it to hold all my stuff so I could quickly rip the top open, unzip the middle, roll out the medical insert, and get to treating the casualty. Have to move fast, I'd roll it back up and zip up the center leaving the top portion unzipped.  I also used it as a RTO bag and an AG bag.  Worked ok for those too, the harness is awesome for carrying way more than you should in the pack.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a camelbak trizip that I was issued for my first deployment. Absolutely love it. They've never asked for it back thankfully. However on a night rappel from a Huey one of the side zippers for the lid got torn off

The zipper teeth are undamaged. Is it possible to get this fixed?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have a camelbak trizip that I was issued for my first deployment. Absolutely love it. They've never asked for it back thankfully. However on a night rappel from a Huey one of the side zippers for the lid got torn off

View Quote

Did the teeth separate from the material or did the zipper assembly tear loose?  If the latter is the case you can get it sewn back on. If the former is the case then no, you need it to be replaced.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a MR 3DAP.  Hoping to have this pack pull dbl duty as an EDC/ short hike and camping bag.  Does anyone EDC the 3day assault pack from MR?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a MR 3DAP.  Hoping to have this pack pull dbl duty as an EDC/ short hike and camping bag.  Does anyone EDC the 3day assault pack from MR?
View Quote

I started the thread wanting a 3DAP from MR ranch now I want the komodo dragon instead and the ASAP for an edc...damn arfcom hits me for 500-1000$ every time I turn around
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#30]
How about some members posing some pics of  the Mystery Ranch 3 DAP in action.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure camelbak will replace it no questions asked.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Question on the 3DAP....

I see the upper compression strap looks like it could be used to cinch a load to the side of the pack, but I am not clear if you can use the bottom one to do that. In the following picture from MR's website I see what appears to be a buckle point that would allow the lower straps to be used in this manner. My question is to anybody who has this pack...Can you rig the lower strap to cinch something to the side of the pack?

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Question on the 3DAP....

I see the upper compression strap looks like it could be used to cinch a load to the side of the pack, but I am not clear if you can use the bottom one to do that. In the following picture from MR's website I see what appears to be a buckle point that would allow the lower straps to be used in this manner. My question is to anybody who has this pack...Can you rig the lower strap to cinch something to the side of the pack?

<a href="http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/trackmagic218/media/3DAP_zpsdeb6959a.png.html" target="_blank">http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o795/trackmagic218/3DAP_zpsdeb6959a.png</a>
View Quote

no.  I have used it to put something down the center line of the pack or you have 2 pockets on the side.  one is open all the way through so you could put a rifle muzzle down through having it hanging free and clipped in to the top.  The other pocket can actually hold water bottles and what not.  I generally put a radio in the side pouch then the antenna through the tension strap to hold it upright when I hit low walls or when the antenna wanted to get away from me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top